Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636891 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10380 on: January 14, 2010, 07:06:43 pm »

I think I can head that one off - The Caravan Arc is needed.  But that is a good way to start regional pricing yes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: January 14, 2010, 07:08:05 pm »

Don't hate me for loving trading!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: January 14, 2010, 07:11:18 pm »

it would be nice if it followed some sort of pattern instead of being entirely random.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: January 14, 2010, 07:24:33 pm »

Sorry? I don't know how to respond to that.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: January 14, 2010, 07:30:31 pm »

On a personal note, soap-making fodder that I am, I'd love it if I could actually figure out how to make even basic trading work. As in the current incarnation of the game. As in, I've read the wiki. A lot. And I used to be able to trade, but now I can't, and it's freaking me out.
For they would be your masters.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: January 14, 2010, 07:41:51 pm »

Spoiler: Trading: quick how-to (click to show/hide)
it would be nice if it followed some sort of pattern instead of being entirely random.
Trading requests following some sort of pattern, I expect.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:45:14 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: January 14, 2010, 07:50:26 pm »

Some record could also be made about which materials are being used the most, in the game, when it comes to trends. If platinum has been the material of choice for magma proofing, and suddenly an extensive source of cheap bauxite is discovered, it should have some effect on the platinum market, I would think, and might even bring rubies/sapphires into fashion for a time.
For they would be your masters.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: January 14, 2010, 08:25:19 pm »

I think its random because it doesn't actualy deal with scarcity, which is what the whole concept of economy is built on. Stuff thats rare and aways on demand like gold, weapons and clothes should  be aways on high demand, ye they seem to have a preference for instruments, mugs, and socks. They don't even ask for adamantine!
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: January 14, 2010, 08:29:23 pm »

As long as you don't hate me for trading love.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: January 14, 2010, 09:08:28 pm »

They don't even ask for adamantine!

I think it is just assumed that every dwarf loves the stuff. The way I see it, no dwarf can even like it more than the next, so no one demands it/likes it. Its kind of like the "needs alcohol to get through the work day," but not written.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: January 14, 2010, 11:19:08 pm »

Brain cells last as long as they need to. The Brain is certainly more static than, say the testes, but it changes like the rest of the body. Old neurones die, new ones are born, old connections wither, new ones are formed.

Actually, no, no new neurons are created after your birth, only connections. Mechanically severed connections do regenerate, but dead cell is dead forever, there is no replacement.

Simply put, anytime you manage to kill of some neurons they are gone for good. Have fun drinking :)
Those old expectations died a little bit when we started understanding stem cells.

Even so the new neurons aren't that numerous and aren't exactly equally available to all parts of your nervous system.

There is evidence that stem cells placed into the brain will develop into new neurons.

The brain is an incredibly complex organ and like Shoku or someone said earlier, it would be a good idea to have some experts here.
Well right now we can't even accurately model the 300ish nerve cells in a c. elegans (tiny transparent worm, nerve cells are always the same,) to get functional locomotion in the simulation so there's still this huge computational barrier keeping the inner-inner workings out of our reach. As such we sort of don't have any use for brain experts. Almost everything that would have significance to the game you could get from a basic psychology textbook and even there you'd be pushing the computer power available by including a lot of that stuff.

We non-experts and those lightly-introduced to neurobiology should mostly be enough to answer the questions normal people would ask anyway.

I guess the root question is: Does alcohol grant dwarves a performance boost, or does lack of alcohol inflict a performance decrease?
Those mean the EXACT same thing. Does sending my laptop to the shop decrease my performance or does getting it back increase my performance?
You've got to say compared to what.

The difference between aesthetic value and other value is still fairly important though, I think.

Let me put it this way: If real life worked like Dwarf Fortress, the best piece of artwork you could place in a room would be an extremely expensive computer in a beige case. Since the game doesn't keep track of whether the value of an item comes from its aesthetic/decorative value, or from function or something else, ridiculous things like that end up happening, where there's no reason to use statues for decoration instead of stonefall traps or animal traps or what-have-you.
Naw, those computers with fancy cases would have a higher value because of the many bigass fans an managing rings of blacklight-neon and menacing spikes of heat sink.

You ain't never snatched a baby and you ain't no friend of mine.
I approve of this :D

Spoiler: Trading: quick how-to (click to show/hide)
Trading requests following some sort of pattern, I expect.
Well one day we may boot up DF and once we get 30 dwarves some little human child will come by delivering a newspaper (or whatever) talking about how the main pigtail crop failed leaving the elves raggedier than even they would tolerate.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: January 15, 2010, 12:10:11 am »

There are a number of places where empty space is one of the most blatant displays of wealth.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: January 15, 2010, 01:01:47 am »

An underground fortress is one of those, as any empty space had to be painstakingly dug out and the material that used to be occupying it carted off somewhere. 

(Of course, that's probably what you were implying.  But I have tendency to answer rhetorical questions and similar things.)
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: January 15, 2010, 01:17:07 am »

I guess the root question is: Does alcohol grant dwarves a performance boost, or does lack of alcohol inflict a performance decrease?
Those mean the EXACT same thing. Does sending my laptop to the shop decrease my performance or does getting it back increase my performance?
You've got to say compared to what.

aye, there's the rub... I believe he means compared to a normal dwarf, which is to say: which state is a normal dwarf?
It's more a matter of programming; does toady have it coded to penalize non drinkers or to reward drinkers?  And, when more systems related to drinking go in, will he keep it that way?

I'm sure someone who is familiar with dwarf companion could tell us for certain, but does it really matter?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: January 15, 2010, 02:28:06 am »

Put it this way - if more alcohol doesn't make it go faster beyond a certain amount, it's not a bonus. If no alcohol makes it work progressively slower and slower with time, it's definetly a penalty.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 1065