Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3574316 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10020 on: January 08, 2010, 06:30:56 am »

You could do by introducing lists to every natural creature. Which are enemies, which eat which. Introduce creature species and genus. Say that cats eat rodents, for example, and make them enemies - cats will therefore hunt and kill rodents if they're more numerous and stronger.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: January 08, 2010, 06:53:57 am »

I suppose I'll link this here since the discussion brushed by a few times:
Worldgen Speciation
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: January 08, 2010, 09:35:13 am »

Toady's back  ;D ;D ;D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: January 08, 2010, 09:41:28 am »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!

Welcome back Toady!  We missed you!  And not just because it's so close to release either!  (Who would take cae of poor greifstruck Scamps?)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: January 08, 2010, 09:45:59 am »

You could do by introducing lists to every natural creature. Which are enemies, which eat which. Introduce creature species and genus. Say that cats eat rodents, for example, and make them enemies - cats will therefore hunt and kill rodents if they're more numerous and stronger.

But relationships between critters should be able to arise naturally due to their traits. Yeah, cats eat rodents, but they do so for a reason: They have the proper size and other traits.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: January 08, 2010, 10:33:29 am »

Oh thank God, Toady is back. Save us from the horrible direction this thread has gone in your absence.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: January 08, 2010, 11:09:24 am »

Welcome back, Toady! :D

Oh thank God, Toady is back. Save us from the horrible direction this thread has gone in your absence.

It hasn't gone anywhere that it hasn't been before, and ThreeToe's done his usual good job as a mod fixing any problems.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: January 08, 2010, 11:11:10 am »

At least we're off the whole theoretical physics and quantum mechanics discussion.

As for the whole ecology thing, really though, DF has a long way to go before we can start to really simulate that kind of stuff. True, having more animals to fill in the gaps (especially for swamps, and camels seem to dominate the desert a bit too much) does help, but there are a whole slew of problems that have to be solved programming wise.

I agree with the statement about biomes becoming too homogenous and basically the same everywhere since it would get boring that way.

Anyways, Welcome back Toady :)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: January 08, 2010, 11:15:44 am »

It hasn't gone anywhere that it hasn't been before, and ThreeToe's done his usual good job as a mod fixing any problems.

As mentioned a page or two back, the thread grew 1000 posts (10% of the entire year old thread) in 2 weeks, most of which were bullshit, or people arguing with the bullshit, or people arguing with the people arguing with the bullshit, and so on and so forth.

The irony of my own post is not lost on me, don't worry, but this thread has been downright awful since the lack of updates, and I'm anxious to see it return to the former "Hey new devlog! -> discuss new devlog -> Questions for toady -> Answers from toady -> Hey new devlog!" cycle.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: January 08, 2010, 11:17:09 am »

Yeah, I've barely been reading this thread at all with Toady out of commission.

Glad to see you're back on your feet, Toady!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: January 08, 2010, 11:18:21 am »

As mentioned a page or two back, the thread grew 1000 posts (10% of the entire year old thread) in 2 weeks, most of which were bullshit, or people arguing with the bullshit, or people arguing with the people arguing with the bullshit, and so on and so forth.

The irony of my own post is not lost on me, don't worry, but this thread has been downright awful since the lack of updates, and I'm anxious to see it return to the former "Hey new devlog! -> discuss new devlog -> Questions for toady -> Answers from toady -> Hey new devlog!" cycle.

Ooh, you have a point.

Well, at least we get updates again! ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: January 08, 2010, 11:21:05 am »

Plus people were bored and this thread already has periods of offtopicness between devlog entries and answers from Toady. Its just that this one lasted much longer than it usually does.

It actually is kind of on topic since we're talking about ecology and stuff as far as DF goes.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:23:56 am by smjjames »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: January 08, 2010, 11:38:51 am »

Well, there's a whole new DF talk to chew on now. Glad to see you're feeling a bit better Toady. Is this talk from before Christmas?

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: January 08, 2010, 11:42:49 am »

Oh lord, I'm so happy right now.

It's 12:30am and I've been trying to sleep for an hour. Finally I give up and jump online, only to find the talk is up.... =D

I don't know about you guys, but nothing helps send me to the land of sleep better than listening to Tarn's mellow voice as he talks about DF... mmmm....  is that weird?   :-\
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10034 on: January 08, 2010, 11:45:03 am »

Just a little.  :P
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1065