Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633746 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9840 on: January 05, 2010, 06:55:50 pm »

Be amusing if legendary throwers could break the speed of sound with their throws.  Or how it currently seems to be, the speed of light.

Would it be too late to mention that I only said this because projectiles in DF adventure mode travel so fast that you rarely if ever can catch a glimpse of them?  Probably, yea.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: January 05, 2010, 06:56:58 pm »

@shoku re: water

Basically, the game needs to be aware of the difference between a static body of water and a dynamic one.  As it is, it makes no distinction.  Once this sort of thing happens, then FPS would only get hurt when water starts to flow.  Furthermore, I don't see any other way around modelling beyond the tiles immediately adjacent to a tile of water.  Somehow the game needs to realize:  "Hey, I'm a 7/7 deep thingy of water next to a completely vacant thingy of space.  I better change that fast!  So let's see, where should I move to..." and kill the FPS if need be, at least it will only be killed for moment if the flow isn't into a chasm or some other endless extreme. 

But even then, can't the game realize this and treat even water flow as a static property of a body of water?  I mean, what's the difference between a static finite amount of water and some moving body of water that has limitless input and limitles output?  The current is the only thing I can think of.  Sure, if the input and output are not equal then it might be a problem.  But for most ingame rivers, it should work smoothly.

I'm sure I'm missing something though...

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: January 05, 2010, 07:08:56 pm »

The u bend was one of the first things checked to see if water pressure worked. I guess maybe if you've got water that isn't moving and channel into it it might not notice right away but-
One of the performance safety mechanisms in place is that water will only teleport to lower levels. Otherwise you might get a single 1/7 pathing back and forth over the whole map endlessly. One tile is obviously not that scary but you know it's obviously not going to be just one tile often and a whole ocean of these would be awful.

Last time I checked U-bends didn't work perfectly, they only fill to one level under the source level.
To ilustrate this situation:

Code: [Select]
Source
   |
   V       
OOOOOO  OOOOOOOO
77777O  O.......  <-Safe area
OOOO7O  O7OOOOOO
   O7O  O7O
   O7OOOO7O
   O777777O
   OOOOOOOO
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:10:53 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: January 05, 2010, 08:55:13 pm »

New question.

Will the somewhat absurd tactic of making furniture out of ores be nerfed somehow, or will it still be a way to make high-value furniture?

It won't be nerfed at all.  You'll be able to nerf it the same way you can in the current version (by modding the material values).
I think he meant how making furniture from ore isn't worth less than making it from bars so you can get lots more native aluminum statues by making the raw economic stone available for the task.

You'd see yourself going FTL long before you approached lightspeed. Your perception combined with your actual speed will make it seem the universe flies past you faster than lightspeed. Also, I thought light has a static finite speed? You won't see light shooting ahead of you if you're already at lightspeed, because that would mean light travels faster than light for an outside observer.
Moving at the speed of light time you should stop having any advance in time anyway.
I was referring to how very near the speed of light you do still see light shooting ahead of you at the speed of light thanks to your perception of space being quite distorted. At the speed of light doesn't really mean anything for particles with ma- OH GOD MAKE IT STOP.

Edit: Could we switch to a topic other than theories on relativity and FTL travel? Not that I don't like to read it, it's just not going anywhere.
And its definitely not related to the game or upcoming updates.

Someone design a flingcelerator where a dwarf pulls a lever, an object is flung by a bridge on the floor, then as it moves across a nearby space another bridge flings it again before it stops, and thuslike over and over again in waves of triggered bridges until the object breaks the speed of light.
Bridges just throw things in random directions rather than in the direction they were raising so no.

I personally am really looking forward to the next five pages of "I'm not a theoretical physicist but..."
I am not a theoretical physicist, but my father was. unfortunately I cannot have him come and blow all these theories out of the water...

Quote from: Shoku
So if you threw a dwarf at light speed
I will merely say that that's where your argument falls apart, since accelerating anything with mass to c requires infinite energy. Apparently you caught this:
Quote from: Shoku
Eventually right up near the speed of light you'd need all the energy in the universe just to get half of the remaining difference between your speed and the speed of light.
You'd see yourself going FTL long before you approached lightspeed. Your perception combined with your actual speed
You're using the wrong speed-addition.

Also, in DF, presently light and sound are both infinitely fast instantaneously-propagating effects, therefore it is impossible to break either speed.

Toady, how often do you back up your work?
Programatically you could by having the effect happen the turn before what caused it, though if you want to be |absolute| about it that would actually just be slower.

That space-folding notion(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive), too, requires infinite energy to FTL, unfortunately (probably. it was shown for two dimensions...)citation
I've always had a hard time dealing with those energy requirements when I want to explain it to other people. Is it just hidden away in such nasty math that I have to take it for granted?

@shoku re: water

Basically, the game needs to be aware of the difference between a static body of water and a dynamic one.  As it is, it makes no distinction.  Once this sort of thing happens, then FPS would only get hurt when water starts to flow.  Furthermore, I don't see any other way around modelling beyond the tiles immediately adjacent to a tile of water.  Somehow the game needs to realize:  "Hey, I'm a 7/7 deep thingy of water next to a completely vacant thingy of space.  I better change that fast!  So let's see, where should I move to..." and kill the FPS if need be, at least it will only be killed for moment if the flow isn't into a chasm or some other endless extreme. 
It does that just fine. You can expect a large body of water to very quickly fill up a room you've accidentally carved into it and piercing an aquifer floods your fort at a suitable rate.

The slow water issue only shows up when you've got 7/7 next to a long stretch of 6/7 next to a long stretch of 5/7 and so on.

But even then, can't the game realize this and treat even water flow as a static property of a body of water?  I mean, what's the difference between a static finite amount of water and some moving body of water that has limitless input and limitles output?  The current is the only thing I can think of.  Sure, if the input and output are not equal then it might be a problem.  But for most ingame rivers, it should work smoothly.
Right now flow is determined by the actual units sliding around (I think. If you pump some water into an aquifer you apparently give it flow forever,) so you'd need a whole different system for defining flow separately from the actual units of water.

The u bend was one of the first things checked to see if water pressure worked. I guess maybe if you've got water that isn't moving and channel into it it might not notice right away but-
One of the performance safety mechanisms in place is that water will only teleport to lower levels. Otherwise you might get a single 1/7 pathing back and forth over the whole map endlessly. One tile is obviously not that scary but you know it's obviously not going to be just one tile often and a whole ocean of these would be awful.

Last time I checked U-bends didn't work perfectly, they only fill to one level under the source level.
To ilustrate this situation:

Code: [Select]
Source
   |
   V       
OOOOOO  OOOOOOOO
77777O  O.......  <-Safe area
OOOO7O  O7OOOOOO
   O7O  O7O
   O7OOOO7O
   O777777O
   OOOOOOOO
The part you quoted explained why. Imagine if on the lowest level you had a winding maze that covered the whole map and that your 7's got split into some 4s and 3s up at the highest level. All of the fours would say "there's a lower number somewhere" and then try to path through the entire freaking thing to get to the other side but one they got there they'd say "there's a lower number somewhere" and path back. It would be pretty bad for fps.

However, if you stick a pump at the front of that the safe area will get wet just fine.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: January 05, 2010, 09:14:47 pm »

As an idea for the water problem that I'm not sure has ever been mentioned. 
Water right now has the 7 layers.  Start at the lowest layer, and check to see which tiles around it have no water in that layer.  If there are none, fine, but either way, keep track of this.  Go up one layer, and see if there is water in those layers.  If there is, have it fill in some of the empty edges, while keeping track of 'new' empty edges that are created. 

Find the empty edges of the second layer, and keep going up and up.  You'd need to be able to identify each 'layer' together, and you might need to consider the topside of water tiles in regards to pressure, but it would help it letting water flow, yeah?

Increased hight differences could be represented by more frequent passes, while full layers wouldn't have any passes at all.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: January 05, 2010, 09:29:09 pm »

Shoku, if you're going to quote everyone, do you mind at least spoilering some of the longer ones, please? It's hell try to browse on a mobile when the page is half quotes.

Edit: I'm an idiot, that doesn't work. Damn

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: January 05, 2010, 09:41:38 pm »

As an idea for the water problem that I'm not sure has ever been mentioned. 
Water right now has the 7 layers.  Start at the lowest layer, and check to see which tiles around it have no water in that layer.  If there are none, fine, but either way, keep track of this.  Go up one layer, and see if there is water in those layers.  If there is, have it fill in some of the empty edges, while keeping track of 'new' empty edges that are created. 

Find the empty edges of the second layer, and keep going up and up.  You'd need to be able to identify each 'layer' together, and you might need to consider the topside of water tiles in regards to pressure, but it would help it letting water flow, yeah?

Increased hight differences could be represented by more frequent passes, while full layers wouldn't have any passes at all.
It does this when there are multiple z levels of water but there's no flow so water won't push things around when it's doing this, which is the reason it's not the only thing that ever happens.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: January 05, 2010, 09:46:29 pm »

Flow is possible in that setup, just not programmed in.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: January 05, 2010, 09:55:38 pm »

Spoiler: for Shoku (click to show/hide)

I am concerned for Toady.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: January 05, 2010, 10:28:27 pm »

Well few people die from the flu itself. They usually die from other illnesses that strike while the flu weakens you. Namely Pnomia

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: January 05, 2010, 10:48:59 pm »

That would be because the immune system builds up a directional bias as it keeps attacking the flu, allowing the other disease to get advantages for attacking from behind...(/bad DF joke)

...pnomia? Pneumonia?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: January 05, 2010, 11:00:20 pm »

What? How do you attack things from behind in DF?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: January 05, 2010, 11:02:14 pm »

Spoiler: for Shoku (click to show/hide)

I am concerned for Toady.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: January 05, 2010, 11:02:36 pm »

What? How do you attack things from behind in DF?

It's complicated.  There's no way to specifically do it, but in Adventure mode, sometimes when you attack someone, especially if they just tried to tackle you and missed, it'll say you attacked them from behind.  Another almost invisible feature Toady threw in ages ago.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:08 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=2287.msg36812#msg36812
Quote from: Toady One
Right now it doesn't have "facing", but it has a directional bias that builds up as you attack in a certain direction repeatedly (which then opens you up to attacks).  That will be changed during the combat arc when I add something like a situational awareness skill.  I'm always wary of a strict facing. [...]
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 1065