Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633408 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I had no idea what this was about...
« Reply #9720 on: January 03, 2010, 12:23:51 am »

So I had a look.

O.o

That is all.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9721 on: January 03, 2010, 12:26:58 am »

Another question:

Hey, you know how it's possible to engrave floors? Well, what if I don't LIKE whatever material the floor is? As it stands, I can place artificial floors down with other materials, but not artificial engravings ontop of the natural floors! Will this change in the future? I want my entire fortress to adhere to ONE color scheme!

I hope that makes sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9722 on: January 03, 2010, 12:34:15 am »

Another question:

Hey, you know how it's possible to engrave floors? Well, what if I don't LIKE whatever material the floor is? As it stands, I can place artificial floors down with other materials, but not artificial engravings ontop of the natural floors! Will this change in the future? I want my entire fortress to adhere to ONE color scheme!

I hope that makes sense.

You mean like Constructing Floors? That is currently in the game and you can place it over the current floors.

Mind you there are quite a few problems with it currently (It can't be engraved, you cannot place certain constructions ontop of a constructed floors, and stuff)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9723 on: January 03, 2010, 12:39:18 am »

Yeah, THAT'S what I'm asking, can I engrave those constructed floors in the future?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9724 on: January 03, 2010, 12:48:30 am »

INterestingly, Josh, veined or otherwise not-layer stone, if constructed atop and removed, will be changed...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9725 on: January 03, 2010, 12:51:27 am »

Then theres the problem of dealing with masterwork engravings on artificial floors when you deconstruct the floor for whatever reason.

I like the idea of bieng able to engrave on artificial floors and walls, I mean, just look at the mayan pyramids or any other constructed stone building.

@CobaltKobold: I think what Josh is trying to say is that if he has a microcline floor and he wants to use green olivine instead, he wants to be able to engrave the constructed floor. Besides, I think that is actually a bug.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9726 on: January 03, 2010, 12:56:01 am »

Then theres the problem of dealing with masterwork engravings on artificial floors when you deconstruct the floor for whatever reason.
Then you have a ☼«rock block»☼. (Or however you name your construction item.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9727 on: January 03, 2010, 12:57:16 am »

Yeah, THAT'S what I'm asking, can I engrave those constructed floors in the future?

This is one of the most often posted topics in DF Suggestions, which is really a much better venue than this thread for feature requests.  There's an active topic about it right now.  Anyone who wants to discuss this idea, please do so there (and not in this thread).

The idea is also #17 in Eternal Suggestion Voting.  I couldn't find any direct comments from Toady on it, but he's conscious that it's something people want.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:59:43 am by Footkerchief »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9728 on: January 03, 2010, 01:06:20 am »

I guess that would work for rock (or any other <material> block since you can't proccess blocks any further) blocks, but what about raw stone, wood logs or metal bars?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:39:46 am by smjjames »

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9730 on: January 03, 2010, 04:24:47 am »

I guess that would work for rock (or any other <material> block since you can't proccess blocks any further) blocks, but what about raw stone, wood logs or metal bars?

I for one would be quite satisfied with the limitation of only being able to carve constructions made out of finished blocks (you can make blocks out of wood and metal as well as stone, so that's all the common building materials right there. I don't think you can make blocks of charcoal or soap or pearlash and such, but that's fine - it's weird that those are valid building materials to begin with).

You could think of it as a progression of how much work you want to put into your constructions, with more work leading to higher value. For just throwing together a quick wall, or crappy pillars in your mines that you never need to look at again, go ahead and use raw stone or raw logs. For something with a bit more style and permanence, you take the time to carve blocks instead. And for things that are meant to look _great,_ you engrave the blocks. Maybe you could even go further and encrust blocks with gems and other such stuff - line your entryway with walls encrusted with goblin bone, perhaps. Maybe eventually extend the uses of gypsum and the various dyes to make frescoes, or use fabric to line the walls with tapestries and the floors with carpeting.

Consider some of the amazing bas relief and architectural detailing that goes into the stone block cathedrals of Europe, for example. Stone blocks should be a perfectly fine medium for this sort of thing.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9731 on: January 03, 2010, 06:16:10 am »

I would have simply thought that if you deconstruct an engraved structure, the engraving is destroyed; same as if you dig out an engraved wall.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9732 on: January 03, 2010, 06:32:28 am »

I would have simply thought that if you deconstruct an engraved structure, the engraving is destroyed; same as if you dig out an engraved wall.
well...yes.
and no.

engraving can be removed from a face if this was the intention, just tearing down an engraved wall won't do. The Brittish museum is full of robbed ancient Egyptyan engravings etc.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9733 on: January 03, 2010, 06:34:09 am »

well...yes.
and no.

engraving can be removed from a face if this was the intention, just tearing down an engraved wall won't do. The Brittish museum is full of robbed ancient Egyptyan engravings etc.

HEY! We robbed those engravings fair and square
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9734 on: January 03, 2010, 06:36:04 am »

well...yes.
and no.

Mining out a wall currently destroys the engraving.
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 1065