Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633339 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9675 on: January 01, 2010, 05:09:59 am »

You could get Firefox and the English spellchecker.

Please?

True, and it took me forever to see your Stuffed bear was actually putting his paws behind his head.

My other computer has it (because Firefox runs certain things better) but I don't generally use it.

The Laptop I am using (which has become my main computer) is pretty old though...
If you're worried about performance, I understand Chrome is best. It should also spell-check.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: January 01, 2010, 07:29:32 am »

Get well soon Toady!  Hmm, I guess we can suspect pandemics in one of the upcoming releases?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: January 01, 2010, 07:59:33 am »

Yeah, history's weird like that.  Loads of things were invented, failed to find practical use or become widespread, only to become successful foundations of society in some later time or place.  A lot of times some incidental technological or social factor delays their use, other times there doesn't seem to be a real reason.  I rather suspect space travel is a modern example.
I'm still trying to work out a compact and watered down way to communicate this sort of thing to people who say we're wasting money on some discovery/research project.

We're getting pretty seriously off-topic here.
We're pretty much discussing the latest entry so I wouldn't worry about it.

-gunpowder history-
Look, it doesn't fit the setting, whether it was historically accurate or not. It clearly is in a limited sort of way but that that doesn't change anything.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: January 01, 2010, 08:47:43 am »

I remember somewhere along the lines that iron men are going to be full of poisonous gases now.

Will they also now be equipped with heavy boots of lead?

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: January 01, 2010, 10:25:20 am »

Get well soon, Toady!
"It's unpossible!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: January 01, 2010, 10:29:42 am »

I remember somewhere along the lines that iron men are going to be full of poisonous gases now.

And a core of pitchblende (uranium)?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: January 01, 2010, 10:57:45 am »

^^ toady first i hope you get well very soon and secondly please write some fake/secret updates for the case you will get sick again. It would keep us on topic (more or less) and we wouldnt see so much dark predictions about you .... which actually could be another layer in the world-gen politics "rumors and desinformation". I mean what if the elves would think that the Humans (from the desert) have weapons of mass deforestation? Or if the warlord of Place A thinks the King of place B is sick so he can attack without much resistance ...

Ack back on topic :P

It would be interesting if the Bronce-collosus/*metal*-man is filled with all sorts of cogs springs etc. plus some nastys like retractable blades XD. Atually would it be possible to not just get a corpse item for a entire creature but for a bodypart/organ? Like you smash a Collusus and then you get a number of masterwork mechanics mechanisms out of it or a Karfunkel instead of a dragons heart etc.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:39:21 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: January 01, 2010, 11:13:34 am »

And a core of pitchblende (uranium)?

Now we just need to incorporate some reference to the triathalon...

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: January 01, 2010, 11:39:52 am »

You could get Firefox and the English spellchecker.

Please?

True, and it took me forever to see your Stuffed bear was actually putting his paws behind his head.

My other computer has it (because Firefox runs certain things better) but I don't generally use it.

The Laptop I am using (which has become my main computer) is pretty old though...
If you're worried about performance, I understand Chrome is best. It should also spell-check.

Only if you use the Google Chrome tests, by any fair measure, the latest version of Firefox is faster.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: January 01, 2010, 11:48:02 am »

Well it depends on what you trade in for the speed. For example FF was (and is still a bit) Memory Hungry which could have an impact on the speed (hence to many Memory accesses) especially on a older Laptop. I dont know how Chrome performs there but if it performs better it could be actually a bit faster for Neon.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:49:40 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: January 01, 2010, 02:30:39 pm »

I realize the trade stuff is coming after this release, but I do have a question related to the timing of traders since it got discussed slightly in some other thread. While it was origionally in reference to the current version, I want to make sure of something as far as the next release goes.

I'm asking about the Human caravan and when they are suppoused to come. Now, other people have said that they are suppoused to come during the summer of the second, maybe third, maybe fourth year. However, I regularily either never get the human traders even though they DO have access to my fort from the embark screen or I get them many many years later. My question is, do the human traders have a set year they are suppoused to show or do they come when you have a certain amount of exported wealth (which I suspect is the trigger) and in the next release, when are the human traders suppoused to come so that I know whether there is a bug with it or not.

The Elves come on the following spring like clockwork, no matter how far away they are.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: January 01, 2010, 03:33:58 pm »

Well, in regards to the current version, you can check entity_default in the raws to see when any particular race is supposed to interact with you.

Humans have [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1], while Elves have [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1] [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1] [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1].  So there you have your answer basically - humans are only supposed to arrive when you've done enough trading to get their attention.

I can't imagine those tags would be for some reason completely removed from the raws next release, so finding out when will just be a matter of checking said raws and looking for some sort of trigger tags.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: January 01, 2010, 03:40:51 pm »

Well it depends on what you trade in for the speed. For example FF was (and is still a bit) Memory Hungry which could have an impact on the speed (hence to many Memory accesses)

In what minor tests I've run recently, Chrome actually managed to use more RAM. It does at least in certain situations, anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: January 01, 2010, 04:16:54 pm »

Well, in regards to the current version, you can check entity_default in the raws to see when any particular race is supposed to interact with you.

Humans have [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1], while Elves have [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1] [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1] [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1].  So there you have your answer basically - humans are only supposed to arrive when you've done enough trading to get their attention.

I can't imagine those tags would be for some reason completely removed from the raws next release, so finding out when will just be a matter of checking said raws and looking for some sort of trigger tags.

I haven't changed the entity raws, so yea.

Anyways, its just as I suspected. I'm gonna go fix that wiki entry.....

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: January 02, 2010, 12:46:03 am »

Green text

Do you use that color to mark what's actually DF-related, so it doesn't get drowned out by all the off-topic bullshit in this thread? I like the way you're thinking.
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 1065