Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633307 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9645 on: December 31, 2009, 04:55:26 pm »

Alright: Guns, batteries, landmines, grenades I can believe

But NO way am I going to believe that people in the ancient times had access to Carpets

The hand-knotted pile carpet probably originated in the Caucasus between the 3rd and 2nd millennium BC.

Ha!

Even though it's Neonivek, I'd say that was sarcasm.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: December 31, 2009, 05:14:51 pm »

Shoku: re: scamps.

Cats are very powerful leapers. I once had a cat that could leap from the ground to the roof and snatch birds out of the air.
Oh I know, it's not like I've never watched a cat jump up onto a bunk bed or top of an entertainment center, it's just that the sentence as written has an ambiguous height for scamps to be reaching after the bed.

Shoku: re: scamps.

Cats are very powerful leapers. I once had a cat that could leap from the ground to the roof and snatch birds out of the air.

Yea they are. I had a cat years ago who had gotten surprised by my dog (who was just playing around) and pratically jumped at least 4 or 5 feet in the air.

I think Toady was talking about when he was laying down in bed. The hitting the wall part intrigues me though, I wonder if Scamps is bouncing off the wall ninja style or something or literally slamming into the wall.
I once had a cat that would ram a door with a partially broken doorknob in order to open. Strangely when any of the dogs would try they couldn't produce the same force very often so the much smaller cat was better at it.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: December 31, 2009, 05:17:59 pm »

At some point, one of the cats we had learned how to turn the doorknobs. Round, metallic doorknobs. Don't ask me how - we never really figured it out. But he could consistently open the door of my room from the inside.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: December 31, 2009, 05:27:26 pm »

Alright: Guns, batteries, landmines, grenades I can believe

But NO way am I going to believe that people in the ancient times had access to Carpets

The hand-knotted pile carpet probably originated in the Caucasus between the 3rd and 2nd millennium BC.

Ha!

Even though it's Neonivek, I'd say that was sarcasm.

It was, thanks for defending me, Person with the cutest Avatar on the forum... Or maybe second cutest... It really is a tie between Teddybear Polar Bear and Sunbathing puppy doggy

Though your old smirkish one was a bit better then your current one that looks like he is walking like a tiger/dog/cat/bear
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:33:06 pm by Neonivek »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: December 31, 2009, 05:27:50 pm »

My cat speaks a little English.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: December 31, 2009, 05:33:00 pm »

Considering the context of the statement, that it annoyed Toady and that Scamps goes under the bed, I'd assumed that Scamps is doing this while Toady is trying to sleep, and therefore that Toady would be lying down. (unless, you know, his computer is by his bed and he sleeps sitting at the keyboard, paused mid coding)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: December 31, 2009, 05:34:18 pm »

It was, thanks for defending me, Person with the cutest Avatar on the forum... Or maybe second cutest... It really is a tie between Teddybear Polar Bear and Sunbathing puppy doggy

Thank you. Look how he looks in bemusement at the post before mine.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

NobbZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: December 31, 2009, 05:37:15 pm »

At some point, one of the cats we had learned how to turn the doorknobs. Round, metallic doorknobs. Don't ask me how - we never really figured it out. But he could consistently open the door of my room from the inside.

Until now I didn't see such... but I can see teamwork with my cats... Sometimes I needed to lock in the two, for different reasons. The door was just closed, not locked, and opens to the inside. After two hours the cats were out... A day or two later I locked them in again and cleaned up that room, still an eye for the cats. After an hour the first cat jumped on the knob while the other on was pulling the door with the paws.

It looked somewhat strange to see them working together, normaly there is some kind of safety distance of ~6 feet between them...

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: December 31, 2009, 05:52:49 pm »

Yeah, history's weird like that.  Loads of things were invented, failed to find practical use or become widespread, only to become successful foundations of society in some later time or place.  A lot of times some incidental technological or social factor delays their use, other times there doesn't seem to be a real reason.  I rather suspect space travel is a modern example.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: December 31, 2009, 05:56:22 pm »

Well, the cats taught the dog that unlatched doors may be pushed open, and the cats clearly understand that the doorknob is SOMEHOW connected to the door opening, but that's all for mine. If a platform were near a doorknob, maybe.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jsnlxndrlv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: December 31, 2009, 06:06:08 pm »

We're getting pretty seriously off-topic here.

Yeah, the Chinese had gunpowder way before many other civilisations and they used it for pretty fireworks and weak rocket-cannons.

And multi-stage rockets, and landmines, and hand grenades, and weird spinning things that shot fire and poison at you. Just saying.
All of which are totally awesome, but not as practical as mass-producing a metal rod filled with some gunpowder with a small projectile and shooting somebody with it.  ;) lamed.

If we're going to be accurate, Mesopotamians were extracting petroleum by heating rock asphalt back in 2000 BCE. The Ancient Greeks weaponized petroleum's utility by combining it in various mixtures with pitch, resins, sulfur, and quicklime, and delivered it via catapults, arrows, firebombs, and ships. Medieval Islamic alchemists took things one step further, by distilling petroleum into fractions which sometimes had more incendiary power than the original substance, and deployed them via grenades, rockets and torpedoes, which played a key role in Islam's eventual defeat of the Crusaders. By this point the Chinese had refined their particular mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and saltpeter which would become known as gunpowder: an Islamic chemical treatise from 1100 CE lays out seven gunpowder recipes; another one from 180 years later describes more than 70 for a variety of purposes (one proving ideal for rockets, while another is better suited for cannons).

By 1340 CE, firearms had not yet reached most of Europe. At that time England's earl of Derby and earl of Salisbury happened to be in Spain at the battle of Tarifa, where they witnessed Arabian cannons used against the Spaniards. They were quite impressed by the results and decided to introduce the technology to the English army, which adopted them enthusiastically and even used them against the French at the battle of Crécy six years later.

So while yes, the British did eventually attempt a subjugation of the Chinese (as they tried basically everywhere else), attributing their victory to firearms while overlooking their respective economic and social histories, which contributed more to their respective levels of technology adoption than the presence of individual inventors, is like saying the Chinese lost because they couldn't win. It's an empty statement, devoid of meaning.

The invention of firearms cannot be attributed to any single inventor or culture. Guns were not the result of a single stroke of inspiration after working with raw materials; their development came from one artisan improving on an earlier artisan's design. You can attribute individual designs along the arc of development to particular inventors, and you can similarly trace certain developmental traditions to specific origins, but settling on some arbitrary collection of characteristics as the Aristotelian ideal of the firearm and bestowing Inventor status on the first model that contains all the relevant characteristics demonstrates a willful disregard of the history of technology.

(Dates, events, and some of the words used to describe them stolen from Jared Diamond's excellent Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in the clash of civilizations.)

To get back on-topic:
I'm really looking forward to seeing what the community does with the new anatomy tools and custom creatures. I remember being entertained by the nuclear catsplosion; I can't wait to see what sort of bizarreness this system will enable.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: December 31, 2009, 06:09:49 pm »

My Small dog taught the cat how to open my door

She only hops high enough to get onto the counter. She however only did so after a long time.

SOOO hard to get the cat to be friendly.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: December 31, 2009, 06:10:58 pm »

To get back on-topic:
I'm really looking forward to seeing what the community does with the new anatomy tools and custom creatures. I remember being entertained by the nuclear catsplosion; I can't wait to see what sort of bizarreness this system will enable.
(see: lion melted fat spatter discussion)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: December 31, 2009, 06:37:08 pm »

My cat plays dwarf fortress.  (my cat is better than yours)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9659 on: December 31, 2009, 06:43:52 pm »

My cat plays dwarf fortress.  (my cat is better than yours)

My cat does to, at least he finds infinite amusement in standing on my keyboard and smacking my monitor around while dwarf fortress is on. He has even been known to unpause the game by pressing space while I was fixing a snack.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 1065