Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633227 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9615 on: December 31, 2009, 04:41:10 am »

Does Scamps have mechanical super-soldier implants? We used to have a fairly agile cat that could jump some 2 feet up, but over someone's head?! Madness!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: December 31, 2009, 05:40:13 am »

Actually even a Barrel of explosives isn't as deadly as it would appear on structures.

A 3 thick Square Stone wall would require an immense explosive to punch through

Heck even for a small barrel a 1 square Wooden Wall could be enough to withstand a blast (It would be in bad shape though)
Ya, I vaguely recall a technique of digging under walls to collapse them but everyone loves dropping a bomb in place because it's more dramatic instead of something that takes several weeks and has only strange ways or being prevented if at all.

Sort of like how almost every scifi battle ends up a WW2 carriers and manned aircraft scene :<

Considering that's exactly what blood is supposed to do, and Toady has lavishly described making creatures bleed out, I would say yes, yes you can.  Don't forget that one creature that was a ball of goo in a hard outer shell.
The system for blood is probably not versatile enough that you could have blood and some sort of goo in different particular body parts. Replacing something's blood with silly materials sort of works but I don't think that's in the spirit of the question.

Now if the tissues work how I think I've been hearing the goo or whatnot could be a layer inside of something else and should work the right way but without having screwed around with something like this my notion of the things you can actually do is usually only a so so match.

-oh, looks like that's the case.

Does Scamps have mechanical super-soldier implants? We used to have a fairly agile cat that could jump some 2 feet up, but over someone's head?! Madness!
It's not mentioned if Toady is standing, sitting, or prone (on the bed) so it's hard to quantify the actual direction scamps is going after the bed. I've had cats that would do that sort of thing running over me if I was in the way, or rather I used to until I developed the reflexes to teach them that they had to at least be down by my legs to likely get away with it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9617 on: December 31, 2009, 06:31:16 am »

Ok guys, I know this may sound strange but just listen in plz. Toady has been sick for quite a while... What if he is in fact not sick at all? Just gone -- Abducted! Dwarf fortress in its current version is astounding in its originality and intense detail which surpasses most, nay -- all -- other games in the present world. In its current version. But, then we think, wait! Toady has almost finished his NEXT version. WTF. Martians, noticing the intense pulses of ingeniosity resonating from  Toady's fingernails, took who they thought was the most intelligent member of the human species back to their homeplanet to exhibit in a zoo! We will be forever doomed to endure the current version of DF and a perpetual sense of trust that Toady will soon be cured from his "sickness" so that he can release the new version. Lament my dwarves  :'(

You are a sad, strange little internet thing.

I'll wager caffein and lack of sleep were the inspiration for that post.

I don't think the gunpowder in/out should be such an issue.  Why not just have certain technology available in certain ages?  Like the bronze age, iron age, steel age, and then gun-powder age corresponding to the age of myth, legends, heroes, etc?  Then instead of clunking about with the init file, you just set what year world-gen should stop running at.  Furthermore, this could be bloated into a Civilization-style research feature.  The alchemist workshop could be used to research new technology in-game if the player has the right stuff available.  In adventure mode you could play a mad scientist alchemist who discovers how to make steel (since the dwarves will never share their secret with humans!) and from that point forward the civilization has access to steel.

Anyway, I've always wanted to suggest this because I thought it might be cool to play a game where your dwarves only know how to use copper weapons.  Just for kicks.

I'm sure someone has suggested this before, so my question is just basically "why not?"

vettefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: December 31, 2009, 07:43:21 am »

Several pages back someone posted a document with the whole changelist of the next version, and I think it said that it would be around 17 pages but when I had a look it was one page so I'm simply wondering if that was google docs fault or if it was indeed one page only?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9619 on: December 31, 2009, 09:18:00 am »

Shoku: re: scamps.

Cats are very powerful leapers. I once had a cat that could leap from the ground to the roof and snatch birds out of the air.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9620 on: December 31, 2009, 09:49:49 am »

Several pages back someone posted a document with the whole changelist of the next version, and I think it said that it would be around 17 pages but when I had a look it was one page so I'm simply wondering if that was google docs fault or if it was indeed one page only?

Well, I never said 17 pages. But yes, it's roughly 11 pages including pictures. "Pages" in this case does not mean website pages, but rather, if you were to take the document and put it in Microsoft Word and try to print it out, you'd get 11 pages worth. So long as you see it begin with "Behind the Scenes" and end with "The World", you're seeing everything.

Repost: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT8EQVUjrv96ZGc5cnBwOHZfMjgyY3FzZHFtanA&hl=en

vettefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9621 on: December 31, 2009, 10:07:56 am »

So long as you see it begin with "Behind the Scenes" and end with "The World", you're seeing everything.

Repost: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT8EQVUjrv96ZGc5cnBwOHZfMjgyY3FzZHFtanA&hl=en

I see, all is well then. Thank you :)

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: December 31, 2009, 10:56:20 am »

40 proof sounds incredibly low; that's still 80% water (well, almost), and ethanol doesn't burn particularly hot.

It is low, but I've done flambe desserts with stuff about that low, so it does work.  The hot pudding underneath vaporizes the alcohol in liqueur, which is what burns, independently of all the water.  You have to turn out the lights to see the flame tho, so mixing a little bacardi 151 to give it extra kick never hurts ;)  You could never run an engine on something as weak as 40 proof tho.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:58:28 am by sproingie »
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9623 on: December 31, 2009, 11:01:14 am »

Shoku: re: scamps.

Cats are very powerful leapers. I once had a cat that could leap from the ground to the roof and snatch birds out of the air.

Yea they are. I had a cat years ago who had gotten surprised by my dog (who was just playing around) and pratically jumped at least 4 or 5 feet in the air.

I think Toady was talking about when he was laying down in bed. The hitting the wall part intrigues me though, I wonder if Scamps is bouncing off the wall ninja style or something or literally slamming into the wall.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9624 on: December 31, 2009, 11:12:21 am »

smjjames: I have seen cats do both. My newest cat Max isn't quite the jumper as old Puff was, but he can get to the top of a high shelf by ninja bouncing off the wall about 1 in 4 attempts, the failures are hilarious.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: December 31, 2009, 11:36:07 am »

Cats are more ninja than ninja. The fattest cat in our house, at 8-something kilograms and 8 years old, still clears roughly a meter to the top of his favorite resting place. The resting place is free-standing, so if he does it from a running start, it makes quite a racket as it falls. Also, when he's running away from a vaccum cleaner, he's unstoppable.

His polar opposite, still 4kg at 10 years, is a High-Master Sneaker. If you push him off your lap a few times when he tries the "direct" approach, for example when you're eating, you'll be surprised to find him on your lap and sniffing your food two minutes later. Our guests frequently fail to notice him until he tries to snatch something out of the plate. His only downfall is that his tail sticks out like a big fuzzy periscope.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: December 31, 2009, 12:14:11 pm »

You've got to be kidding me.  Ancient Egypt and Sumeria independently invented beer, the Romans and Greeks were swimming in wine, and they all distilled potent spirits typically for medicinal purposes (though no doubt also as a luxury).  Arabs were distilling alcohol (it's an Arabic word) en masse by the 6th century and it was all over Europe by the 7th.

Anyway these are Dwarfs.  They invented mining so they'd have cellars to store their ale.

Beer and wine are not distilled.  Yes, the Arabs and others did know how to distill things for quite a long time, but according to the various references I've read the widespread production of distilled liquor for drink, as opposed to small amounts distilled for medicine, perfumes, ect started around the 14th century.

Mind you, I don't have any problem with dwarfs distilling at all.  In fact, it'd be neat to see the brewery proper separated from the still.  The brewery would produce beer, wine, ect, which could then be further distilled into brandy or whiskey or whatever at an actual still, powered by fire or magma.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: December 31, 2009, 01:12:40 pm »

The sugar trade is a few hundred years older, so I would still tend to date distilled spirits earlier, but I admit I haven't done heavy research.  I'm +1 on the idea of separating brewery from distillery, tho I'm not sure about requiring fire access -- as it is now, kitchens don't require it either.

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: December 31, 2009, 01:31:14 pm »

Yes but when Toady said 1400s it is more of a rule of thumb then absolute. It between history and style: So while Toady looked at pre-1400s medicine for where to put it he has also said no to such ancient devices as batteries

Toady said he would support Gunpowder through mods but it won't be in Vanilla if I remember correctly.

Ironically Brainsurgery has been around since Ancient times. (Egyptians practiced it, Incans, Mayans, and to a lesser degree Chineese as well.)

On another side note ot an earlier post on scale mail. Scale has been around longer than mail. Ancient Hittites, Persians, and Philistiens all used it heavily. Heck, Even Japaneese soldiers used the concept.

Ring Mail as invented (I believe don't qupte me please) as a way to make armor out of otherwise useless pieves of mail. take rings and mail sections and sew them onto leather backing with the rings overlapping.

Also interestingly enough. It was not durring the 16-1700's that man invented the steam engine. It was invented in Egypt around the time of the fall of the Roman Empire.

Another thing, people keep sayingthat batteries cannot be in because they are a "Modern" Invention, Yet Ancient Babylonians made batteries out of Wine Jugs and used them in electroplating items with gold and silver.

Myans were a very remarkable people as well, For starters, not only did they come up with the most accurate measurment of the earth (until we mapped the earth with lasers from orbit) but they accurately predicted alignments of celestial bodies far into the future. They also invented Airconditioning. All of thier temples are laid out so that drring the hot months the entire building is regulated down to 65-70 degrees and durring the cool onths they are actually warmed up to the same threshold.

Ancinet cultures and people were very inventive and most people don't give them enough credit.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: December 31, 2009, 01:57:14 pm »

@TerminatorII:

Yea brainsurgery has been around for a long time (trepanning has been around since neolithic times and is still used today to relieve pressure from trauma), but it depends on whether we are thinking of brainsurgery as we know it, which is a modern thing, or something much older such as trepanning.

As for scale mail, I think the romans were best known for using it as well.

No comment on the ring mail.

Yea, I've heard of the spinning toy thingy which used steam power, but the ancients never took advantage of it. Also, the library at Alexandria burned down around the same time as well I think, and with the fall of the Roman empire, alot of knowledge was 'lost'.

As for the batteries, we don't really know whether they treated it as something 'magical' or how much they actually used it.

The Mayans were definetly among the best astronomers, and I would also want to find a way to cool off the inside of a building when its hot. They say that neccessity is the mother of invention.
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 1065