Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632870 times)

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9480 on: December 29, 2009, 08:42:35 am »

Hmm, well, I can't say that makes sense, since warriors kinda need testosterone or whatever to perform better. Historically, eunuchs didn't make great warriors, as they produced less aggression, which is kinda necessary for combatants.

But feel free to correct me.

That's assuming his fantasy race even use testosterone. If they don't (and have no analogous hormone) then there's no reason females can't make up the warrior caste. Ants and bees are good example where the warrior caste is made entirely of females.
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: December 29, 2009, 09:19:43 am »

Ants are an example where the warrior caste is made entirely of neuters. They're not females, really.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: December 29, 2009, 10:17:57 am »

I assumed humans, it is entirely possible for a fantasy race to employ neutered specimens as warriors. After all, the fiction is full of such examples - Nepharim in Exile/Avernum, for example. After all, everything is allowed in fantasy.

It is just that in case of a complex being like human, you want a remorseless warrior who would stay up longer and shrug minor damage off, mercilessly slaying his foes, so eunuch wouldn't be too high on the list of potential candidates. Moreover, in the long history of slavery, it made sense to let slaves breed as much as possible, so there was a steady supply of cannonfodder with inherited attributes of their parents.

Neutered warriors are entirely possible, however, since they can remain calculative and calm in the fray, finesse and tactics could triumph over intense rage. Body guards were mostly neutered for that reason - they had to keep their mind on their liege's safety rather than the female slave's boobies.

Also, uh, no man can stand up to woman during her period.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:25:46 am by Mipe »

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: December 29, 2009, 11:08:42 am »

He's right though, that particular bit of information (creatures are stuck in one caste for their entire life) has come up so many times in this thread that anyone who's reading should know by now.  Well, maybe this time's the charm.

There's over six hundred pages in this thread. If I had tried to catch up on that before asking the new verison would already be out.

Oh well, I suppose I could try having dwarves occasionally give birth to werewolf pups... that seems disturbing even for DF, actually. Maybe not.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: December 29, 2009, 11:13:28 am »

On the subject of castes...

Is there a realistic limit to the number of seperate castes a creature can have?

My immediate plans once the new version comes out calls for at least 12 separate castes on a single civvable creature.  Would that break the game something horrible?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: December 29, 2009, 12:34:54 pm »

On the subject of castes...

Is there a realistic limit to the number of seperate castes a creature can have?

My immediate plans once the new version comes out calls for at least 12 separate castes on a single civvable creature.  Would that break the game something horrible?

I'm sure Footkerchief will have the exact link to you, but I believe Toady mentioned that castes are in theory limitless, but you can't have more than 10,000. The number might be off, but yeah.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: December 29, 2009, 12:37:35 pm »

Haven't you been paying attention?

Information links and combines with others.

So yes I have been paying attention.

He's right though, that particular bit of information (creatures are stuck in one caste for their entire life) has come up so many times in this thread that anyone who's reading should know by now.  Well, maybe this time's the charm.

No that bit of information I knew beforehand.

It was dramatic body differences that I didn't know.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: December 29, 2009, 02:17:04 pm »

There's over six hundred pages in this thread. If I had tried to catch up on that before asking the new verison would already be out.

Oh well, I suppose I could try having dwarves occasionally give birth to werewolf pups... that seems disturbing even for DF, actually. Maybe not.
Castes are a recent thing. How did you hear about them at all without an explanation of what they are?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: December 29, 2009, 05:11:52 pm »

Sometimes it is hard to distinguish what Castes are with what they are going to be.

Well sort of... With what they COULD be.

Though this thread is going in the wrong dirrection. I think berration for not hearing the latest (or old) buzz isn't healthy for forum cohesion.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: December 29, 2009, 05:18:33 pm »

I think someone made a log of all the stuff that's been done so far, based on the dev notes.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: December 29, 2009, 05:31:48 pm »

It's not that we're annoyed that people don't know, it's that we're annoyed that they've heard about it but missed ever explanation of it when we've repeatedly said that you're born into castes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:34:57 pm by Shoku »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: December 29, 2009, 05:32:41 pm »

Yes but to my knowledge that list is HUGE!

I should know best about how people avoid huge lists like the plague. *Cries twice*

Ohh well, I can still dream.

Also I don't remember you explaining it very often Shoku

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: December 29, 2009, 05:35:47 pm »

Ya, I'm usually playing catch up so it gets explained before I have reason to but I stil sit here seeing people ask a question that was just answered over and over.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: December 29, 2009, 05:39:25 pm »

Ya, I'm usually playing catch up so it gets explained before I have reason to but I stil sit here seeing people ask a question that was just answered over and over.

Your probably going to have to explain it another hundred times.

It is the nature of humanity.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: December 29, 2009, 05:46:44 pm »

Your probably going to have to explain it another hundred times.

You're probably going to see the people that explain these things get iritated another hundred times.

Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 1065