Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632673 times)

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9405 on: December 28, 2009, 11:33:51 am »

Don't forget that Toady made their livers 1.5 (?) times as big as a human's liver, which might mean lots of mass specialized specifically in alcohol removal.

I'm pretty sure that if a creature grows during worldgen, it does become stronger throughout worlgen instead of just giving the survivors a size bonus at the end.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: December 28, 2009, 11:34:59 am »

Say I create a custom critter (call it a rock golem) which ages basically indefinitely and keeps getting bigger as it ages, to the point where it's eventually of mega-beast proportions. Will this aging, and its effect on the golem's survivability be applied in world gen, and hence the sizes of golem you might encounter in the game world?

I'm not clear at all on how world-gen or whatever works. This seemed like an interesting scenario to me, to eventually have a bunch of ancient rocky giants stumping around the landscape, destroying whatever they come across.

that sounds fantastic. i'd love to see creatures that grow to megabeast status.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: December 28, 2009, 12:51:45 pm »

Say I create a custom critter (call it a rock golem) which ages basically indefinitely and keeps getting bigger as it ages, to the point where it's eventually of mega-beast proportions. Will this aging, and its effect on the golem's survivability be applied in world gen, and hence the sizes of golem you might encounter in the game world?

I'm not clear at all on how world-gen or whatever works. This seemed like an interesting scenario to me, to eventually have a bunch of ancient rocky giants stumping around the landscape, destroying whatever they come across.

Wow. Depending on worldgen parameters, you might end up with a post-rockpocalyptic setting wherein all civilizations have been destroyed, no biological lifeforms larger than rats survive, and the horizon is dominated by shambling mountain-sized rocky abominations.

In other words, a very "fun" setting in which to play DF. :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: December 28, 2009, 12:57:34 pm »

The game seperates Megabeasts, Semimegabeasts, and Powers into categories of their own seperate from their power.

Technically, however silly, you could make ordinary wolves megabeasts.

So even if you made a creature that somehow grew and grew until it reached a size where it could clearly rival the megabeasts it still wouldn't be a megabeast.

Tonjevic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://tonjevic.net
« Reply #9409 on: December 28, 2009, 01:18:52 pm »

I'm aware of how Megabeasts are designated, I was just wondering whether the scenario that I raised was possible -- whether entities in the game continue to grow and interact in worldgen in a way that's consistent with their raw designations.

I guess they'd probably have to be weak when small in order to prevent them from dominating EVERYTHING (so that they're easily killed before their size comes too much into play). It would also be fun to add a giant glowing weakpoint on the outside somewhere, Shadow of Colossus style. Maybe make them grow moss and forests on their backs as they get older, too.

Hah, I could totally get into an adventure where you go out wrestling Mountains in order to sunder their external vital organ from their body.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:21:56 pm by Tonjevic »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: December 28, 2009, 01:21:11 pm »

Well then I guess Ill have to say plainly no. A creature cannot grow into a megabeast, semimegabeast, or power currently or in the near future unless you can add it to the Caste system or something.

Tonjevic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: December 28, 2009, 01:23:12 pm »

Note that in my post I merely said grow into megabeast *proportions*, not into megabeasts themselves.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: December 28, 2009, 01:25:39 pm »

Note that in my post I merely said grow into megabeast *proportions*, not into megabeasts themselves.

Well then they were always capable. Though the Whale Shark already "Grows" to megabeast proportions.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: December 28, 2009, 01:50:03 pm »

It seems clear that size is linearly interpolated based on age whenever it's evaluated, so entities originating in worldgen will be of a size appropriate to their age.  I'm not sure, though, whether we know of anything that happens during worldgen that respects this size.  The most obvious thing (and not hard to test) would be to base it on survivability in combat, since bigger creatures do better there.  You could compare the survival of two species -- one with an early-life growth spurt, one with a late-life growth spurt to the same final size -- and see which ones tend to survive the best by the end of worldgen.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: December 28, 2009, 01:56:36 pm »

I'm not sure, though, whether we know of anything that happens during worldgen that respects this size.  The most obvious thing (and not hard to test) would be to base it on survivability in combat, since bigger creatures do better there.  You could compare the survival of two species -- one with an early-life growth spurt, one with a late-life growth spurt to the same final size -- and see which ones tend to survive the best by the end of worldgen.

That comparison has already been done in the current version, and it was found that size does indeed influence the worldgen combat calculations.  Overall I think it's a safe bet that the next version will continue to account for something as obvious as body size.  The bugs will probably show up with subtler aspects of body variation.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: December 28, 2009, 02:16:30 pm »

I'm not sure, though, whether we know of anything that happens during worldgen that respects this size.  The most obvious thing (and not hard to test) would be to base it on survivability in combat, since bigger creatures do better there.  You could compare the survival of two species -- one with an early-life growth spurt, one with a late-life growth spurt to the same final size -- and see which ones tend to survive the best by the end of worldgen.

That comparison has already been done in the current version, and it was found that size does indeed influence the worldgen combat calculations.  Overall I think it's a safe bet that the next version will continue to account for something as obvious as body size.  The bugs will probably show up with subtler aspects of body variation.

I think it's more to see exactly how the game uses size in combat, and in what way it derives the value for size - whether for instance that value is dependent on the final size for all members of the race/caste, or whether development and growth are also taken into account in worldgen as additional size modifiers.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Tonjevic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: December 28, 2009, 02:22:11 pm »

I think it's more to see exactly how the game uses size in combat, and in what way it derives the value for size - whether for instance that value is dependent on the final size for all members of the race/caste, or whether development and growth are also taken into account in worldgen as additional size modifiers.

Exactly. This is the point that Neonivek didn't address.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: December 28, 2009, 02:23:38 pm »

Hi guys,

Toady has come down with the flu and has been sick for a couple days.  There will be no dev update tonight, but hopefully the future will be brighter tomorrow!

I blame the lutefisk.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: December 28, 2009, 02:27:00 pm »

Exactly. This is the point that Neonivek didn't address.

Okay, going back to your original question:

The answer is yes, the game will compute the right body size (respecting caste, age, body size nodes, etc.) for your creature in both worldgen and gameplay, and that size will have an impact on combat calculations.  Unless there's a bug, of course, but that disclaimer should hardly need to be stated.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:29:10 pm by Footkerchief »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: December 28, 2009, 02:36:46 pm »

We haven't seen dragon raws, have we? Because that strikes me as something that should grow fucking huge, but only get there after perhaps ten thousand years.
However, my current understanding is that megabeasts etc. start out as adults.
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 1065