Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632199 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9330 on: December 26, 2009, 04:40:59 pm »

Even Zoom To Building?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: December 26, 2009, 04:43:24 pm »

The cat mouth bug is probably going to take all of five minutes. The hack that is currently in may not actually work in the new release because the body part and tissue stuff have been completely restructured, that is, if he used the exact code that is in there.

Although now that graspers and stuff are more detailed in the raws, it may be easier, or maybe he can just go and make the tongue prehensile with the grasp tag.

I'm kind of surprised he hasn't greened that one out already.

@Akigagak: It may have been fixed, maybe not. There are all kinds of changes, so that bug may be the least frustrating.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: December 26, 2009, 04:47:30 pm »

Wait. What are you talking about? What bugs? How can you know which bugs to expect without actually playing the new version? Did toady talk about it on a devlog? Or on the latest short dwarf talk?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: December 26, 2009, 04:48:49 pm »

Eh?

We can talk about bugs that exist in the current version, can't we?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: December 26, 2009, 05:00:57 pm »

@Stormrage: You know, press r, go to some building and press t, sometimes the game crashes with that, I think q does the same thing sometimes.

We don't know whether its still there in the next release or not, but since there are so many changes, it might have been fixed.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: December 26, 2009, 05:24:42 pm »

@Stormrage: You know, press r, go to some building and press t, sometimes the game crashes with that, I think q does the same thing sometimes.

We don't know whether its still there in the next release or not, but since there are so many changes, it might have been fixed.
Losing is fun?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: December 26, 2009, 05:43:26 pm »

Crashing is not.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: December 26, 2009, 06:01:40 pm »

Tell that to anyone playing IL-2 or any other decent flight sim. Crashing is half the fun, especially if you pull it off spectacularly. One of my crashes was particularly fun, in IL-2. Here I am, engine dead, tail in tatters, one Bf-109 in pursuit. Ground rapidly approaches. I bail. The 109 shoots at roughly the same time, hitting something in the plane that makes it level out. My pilot, wounded earlier, fails to open the chute and dies. My plane cheerfully glides along the terrain, touches down and gracefully screeches to a halt some twenty meters from a factory, intact except for the earlier damage.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: December 26, 2009, 06:02:57 pm »

Toady i hope you enjoy your little chrismas holyday.
There's really no need to spell it that way. Holiday already means holy day. That's the reason it sounds like that.

iirc regeneration speeds are in but not regrowth, which means a cut or something can heal really fast but cut-off thingslike limbs dont regrow jet. Thought regrowth wouldnt be that hard by comparing the actual bodyplan with basetemplate to select what has to be regrown. The how is another question thought.
A first implementation would be the same way cuts heal- you'd just have a flag for whether a creature regenerates major body parts or not and if so they'd go from gray to red to yellow to regular.

This would obviously need a variety of other considerations as you wouldn't want dwarves or whoever stitching up the little nub that was growing and sticking it in casts and things when nothing was really "broken." We've never so much seen the bone breaks and things so if it just acted like the soft tissues were out of commission it would probably avoid most of that from the get go.

Better system would probably use a similar display but specifically recognize the body part as a regrowing one opening up the option for ointments and things while possibly making the dwarf eat more often. At first I was thinking that giving them a narrower window to live through before starving would be an unwanted effect but regrowing a whole arm would be rather energy intensive and should rightly make a individual more likely to starve until they were back to maintenance mode.

The whole system would have the potential for use in all creatures as you'd be able to set variable healing rates for types of tissues. Skin and things like your tongue regenerate fast and usually entirely and lungs are rather resilient except for that lifetime of wear problem people deal with these days so you'd have all sorts of black lung options available.

-Toady is iffy if he would allow a Hydra to regrow more heads then it originally had, and if he did he would require some sort of limit.
Either way it would be rather difficult to farm hydra skulls. Setting up some kind of pressure plate maze chamber with a vorpal type trap and some water timers to keep the thing from losing all it's heads would be quite the time sink though.

It's difficult to guess when it'll be finished. I remember people betting for February.... 2009. And until recently, "Christmas" was a quite popular guess around here, so as frustrating as it can be, it's best to just wait & see.
Hey gais, I still bet it's out by Christmas! :DDD

You do realize that if Hydras regrow heads freely, we'll end up with >10,000 headed Hydras from worldgen, right?

Of course, such a hydra would likely collapse under its own weight due to DF's realistic treatment of bodies.  This reminds me of a certain comic that I can't find the link to.
Ya, the growing double heads thing seemed like a less than ultra-menacing ability to me back when I was first introduced to the idea. It's probably supposed to evoke the idea of trying to avoid one snake biting you then two and so on until there's constantly one lunging at you. For the SUPER-fighters of the day being able to parry attacks from a lot of people was impressive but eventually those snake heads should be attacking too quickly for someone to deal with, which would presumably be the end of its ever having heads lopped off.

You could get some really interesting skulls if you were to only partially decapitate it- and if it doesn't work that way why the hell didn't people just maim the heads some?

Wait. What are you talking about? What bugs? How can you know which bugs to expect without actually playing the new version? Did toady talk about it on a devlog? Or on the latest short dwarf talk?
He's given a few words about the way he deals with really immediately-visible bugs up front and then gets the game stable before he releases it and then it may still have things like dwarves never waking up when we get our hands on it.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: December 26, 2009, 08:14:28 pm »

Toady i hope you enjoy your little chrismas holyday.
There's really no need to spell it that way. Holiday already means holy day. That's the reason it sounds like that.

...I think that was a genuine typo
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #9340 on: December 26, 2009, 09:28:14 pm »

...I think that was a genuine typo

What, trying to bring a watergun to a flame war?

Actually, does water hurt firemen? I never tried.. (for shame, I know.)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Ninjabob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: December 26, 2009, 09:37:24 pm »

Except for the fact that the Norwegians had a tremendous influence on the English language and the English in general, making it very possible that Adams was orignally a Norwegian last name.

Adams is definitely not a common Norwegian last name today (and has probably never been), as our consensus bureau tells us (It's called SSB for those petualant enough out there). I haven't heard it in a Norwegian setting before at all. But it could have been derived from Adamsen, which means son of Adam. Adam is a Hebrew name, but Adamsen would be Norwegian or Scandinavian derived, if someone in Norway imported the name Adam and had a son...

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: December 26, 2009, 10:28:37 pm »

Except for the fact that the Norwegians had a tremendous influence on the English language and the English in general, making it very possible that Adams was orignally a Norwegian last name.

Adams is definitely not a common Norwegian last name today (and has probably never been), as our consensus bureau tells us (It's called SSB for those petualant enough out there). I haven't heard it in a Norwegian setting before at all. But it could have been derived from Adamsen, which means son of Adam. Adam is a Hebrew name, but Adamsen would be Norwegian or Scandinavian derived, if someone in Norway imported the name Adam and had a son...

Or he could be Norwegian on his mother's/grandparents' side.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: December 26, 2009, 10:52:10 pm »

I'm curious: has the "non-starving dwarves chow-down on live vermin" problem been fixed, or is a fix for that is some future version? (It being a problem when the vermin are things like purring maggots/moghoppers/fire snakes/etc that you want to milk/extract)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: December 26, 2009, 11:51:37 pm »

I think thats an actual feature, to a point. If dwarf likes to eat said verming, they'll usualy attempt to eat it if they can, but I've only seen it happen with caged vermin though, never saw a non-starving dwarf actively hunting for vermin.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 1065