Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631733 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9225 on: December 24, 2009, 05:30:03 pm »

You don't need super strength to wield any sword -- the heaviest ones weighed around six pounds

Really? Wasn't there this blunt giant sword that I've heard soo much about?

Yea, thats the one I was thinking of, I may have named it wrong though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: December 24, 2009, 05:41:00 pm »

Well it wasn't the Zweihander... at least not commonly (as I always remember a lot of weapons are categories, such as Rapier of which there are multiple kinds)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: December 24, 2009, 05:50:15 pm »

9 pounds is about the heaviest any actual weapon that was intended to be used ever got, and at 9 pounts we're talking real big two-handed maces.

The weight of swords and armor is one of the many myths that circulates around modern times; neither was very heavy at all.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: December 24, 2009, 05:50:57 pm »

I remember some kind of Chinese greatsword whose name I can't recall, that was like 20 pounds and six feet long.  It was meant to kill a rider and his horse in one blow, but of course it's doubtful one was ever actually used.

At any rate, Dwarves being [STOUT]er than humans, with a lower center of mass, and big thick hands that can carve stone without tools, could probably wield some damn huge weapons.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9229 on: December 24, 2009, 05:55:21 pm »

A sword might not weigh much, but it can easily feel like it does. Since the center of balance is several inches from the end of the pommel (I think) it takes a good deal more force to swing.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9230 on: December 24, 2009, 05:56:57 pm »

9 pounds is about the heaviest any actual weapon that was intended to be used ever got, and at 9 pounts we're talking real big two-handed maces.

The weight of swords and armor is one of the many myths that circulates around modern times; neither was very heavy at all.

I can attest that armor can actually be very heavy. Easily 40-80 pounds, depending on the type and how much you have. The thing is, it's also well distributed across the body, so it's nowhere near as hard to move in as you might think. But a basic chainmail hauberk can easily weight 50 lbs all on its own.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: December 24, 2009, 06:19:57 pm »

I can attest that armor can actually be very heavy. Easily 40-80 pounds, depending on the type and how much you have. The thing is, it's also well distributed across the body, so it's nowhere near as hard to move in as you might think. But a basic chainmail hauberk can easily weight 50 lbs all on its own.

High quality plate and chain weighed about 20 - 25kg, which really isn't very heavy at all; a modern infantryman usually carries around 25 - 35kg worth of gear. A fully armored knight in good plate and chain could run down an unarmoured man, jump onto his horse and swim across a river, swimming was difficult certainly, but entirely possible, as knights tended to be extremely fit due to training.

If you're wearing 80 pounds of armor, then you're either in tournament gear, or wearing really shitty stuff made out of cast iron or something instead of tempered steel.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9232 on: December 24, 2009, 06:25:17 pm »

Well, the difference is that a modern infantry man removes the gear in a firefight or when on the move. When you are in battle, it's mainly taking cover, advancing slowly, and aiming/firing your weapon.

When you're wearing armor old school wise ;) you have to remember that you're trying to KILL people with brute force while wearing all that crap, who may be wearing the same pile of crap, which wears you out extremely quickly. It's a little more physically grueling than taking aim and pulling a trigger, even though I know that has large physiological strain as well.

It is true that swords and other martial weapons are not as heavy as people expect, because you actually needed to to be able to swing them around. But speaking as a guy who performs with swords, you get tired very quickly swinging weapons around at full speed. In full armor you can kiss your endurance goodbye.

Also, there's a huge difference in styles which are hard to get into here. Axes and large swords which are made for hacking, and smaller, lither (perhaps curved) blades which are made for slicing.

I could go on a historical rant about why the mongols and muslim weapons/tactics were so effective against standard european fare for a long time, and how heavy armor and weapon design was a drawback for the crusaders during the crusades.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 06:32:41 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: December 24, 2009, 06:29:53 pm »

Well the weapons are deceptively as heavy as people think.

As for armors heavier then 50 pounds they probably weren't made for Knights, probably because it would hurt the horses back.

Though my information is rather mixed on how much horses should carry...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 06:33:42 pm by Neonivek »

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: December 24, 2009, 06:31:27 pm »

A sword might not weigh much, but it can easily feel like it does. Since the center of balance is several inches from the end of the pommel (I think) it takes a good deal more force to swing.

swords, well made ones, were balanced using weights in the pommel (that's the end cap opposite the blade for those of you playing at home) to put the center of mass closer to the grip and in a position that was more comfortable for the user to swing.  Mostly this was just on shorter swords that relied on quickness rather than unstopability, but you could certainly do the same thing to improve the manageability of larger blades.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9235 on: December 24, 2009, 06:45:38 pm »

I remember some kind of Chinese greatsword whose name I can't recall, that was like 20 pounds and six feet long.  It was meant to kill a rider and his horse in one blow, but of course it's doubtful one was ever actually used.
pick one. Hear about these a lot in games sometimes.
High quality plate and chain weighed about 20 - 25kg, which really isn't very heavy at all; a modern infantryman usually carries around 25 - 35kg worth of gear. A fully armored knight in good plate and chain could run down an unarmoured man, jump onto his horse and swim across a river, swimming was difficult certainly, but entirely possible, as knights tended to be extremely fit due to training.
I keep hearing it bandied about that they were supposed to be able to scale castle walls in that stuff.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #9236 on: December 24, 2009, 06:50:18 pm »

Oh wow the list is almost done.

It seemed like yesterday when it was covered with white and blue.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9237 on: December 24, 2009, 07:27:08 pm »

A fully armored knight in good plate and chain could run down an unarmoured man

Assuming that the knight and unarmored man in question are equally fit, I'm going to have to disbelieve you there.

As far as armor weights . . . I don't know if this is particularly relevant, not being an expert medievalist and all, but people of shorter stature are proportionally stronger than people with longer limbs (has to do with muscle cross section).  This might mean that a relatively shorter medieval individual would be able to wear thicker armor than a modern person--he could carry more pound-for-pound, and it would take less surface area's worth of armor to encase him.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9238 on: December 24, 2009, 07:32:06 pm »

A fully armored knight in good plate and chain could run down an unarmoured man

Assuming that the knight and unarmored man in question are equally fit, I'm going to have to disbelieve you there.

Well duh, but that's the whole point. Archers generally weren't very fit, because they tended to be drafted peasants. Or more accurately they were quite fit, but lacked endurance. Knights on the other hand were usually nobles who had trained for speed, agility, strength and endurance their entire lives and thus were substantially more fit than the peasants, who were only fit because of the hard work they had to do.

As far as armor weights . . . I don't know if this is particularly relevant, not being an expert medievalist and all, but people of shorter stature are proportionally stronger than people with longer limbs (has to do with muscle cross section).  This might mean that a relatively shorter medieval individual would be able to wear thicker armor than a modern person--he could carry more pound-for-pound, and it would take less surface area's worth of armor to encase him.

Most people vastly underestimate the quality of medieval metalworking. Medieval blacksmiths were far superior to their modern day counterparts, we've lost most of the old techniques because we just plain don't need them anymore.

A full suit of high quality tempered steel plate and chain, even for a large man, will be surprisingly light. 30 kilos tops, and that's being pretty generous with the weight.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: December 24, 2009, 07:38:30 pm »

Most people vastly underestimate the quality of medieval metalworking. Medieval blacksmiths were far superior to their modern day counterparts, we've lost most of the old techniques because we just plain don't need them anymore.

Somewhere I can read about this?
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 1065