Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631571 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9135 on: December 23, 2009, 04:12:38 am »

Think about it: A bruise or a cut. What hurts more?

Of course, depending on the severity of each wound, it could change. I've never personally cut myself that bad, the worst being a steak knife cut on my finger, but that definately hurt alot more than most of the bruises I've had.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: December 23, 2009, 04:21:53 am »

Technically you do the same damage over any area, but "damage" has a slightly different meaning. slicing someone open could be the same amount of "damage" as a large bruise, just concentrated on a smaller area.
By that logic, stepping on the floor does the same amount of damage as stepping on a tack, and I can tell you first hand (or foot) that isn't true. It's the same amount of force, sure, but damage only happens once the force on a given area exceeds its structural limits.
Akur Akir Akam!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: December 23, 2009, 04:34:44 am »

I could see though, that if throwing were a 'primary' attacking method, a funny bug would be if they were programmed to throw whatever was in their hands at the moment. Mothers going to battle with their child would shock and amaze as they used their child as a projectile to kill invading goblins, then cancelled fighting to pick the baby up, then threw him again.

I can practically see it.

All we need now is some spiky steel baby armor, and everything will be just fine.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: December 23, 2009, 05:14:30 am »

An interesting possible bug just hit me :
Toady, have you thought considering tantruming or berserk Dwarves vs Burrows ? It would be quite weird to see someone enraged choosing to throw an item located halfway through the map, ignoring nearer ones because "these aren't in my district".
Even though our Dwarves are quite dedicated.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: December 23, 2009, 05:15:23 am »

I want to be able to designate a baby for dipping in liquid gold, then fashion the product into a hammer for the mother. 

This would occur to all children born before the former baby grows into childhood. 

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: December 23, 2009, 05:18:25 am »

I want to be able to designate a baby for dipping in liquid gold, then fashion the product into a hammer for the mother. 

This would occur to all children born before the former baby grows into childhood. 

"Try out our new gold-plated babyhammers! Exactly what it sounds like."

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: December 23, 2009, 05:20:36 am »

"Try out our new gold-plated babyhammers! Exactly what it sounds like."

The ones where the baby solidifies in a menacing pose are more expensive, but rare.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: December 23, 2009, 05:21:03 am »

An interesting possible bug just hit me :
Toady, have you thought considering tantruming or berserk Dwarves vs Burrows ? It would be quite weird to see someone enraged choosing to throw an item located halfway through the map, ignoring nearer ones because "these aren't in my district".
Even though our Dwarves are quite dedicated.

He's hinted that dwarves will ignore their burrow assignments under certain circumstances: "Just the basic burrow mechanic is powerful enough that it is pretty exploitable, so there will be several ways in which dwarves either move beyond their burrows or are affected adversely by heavy restrictions, but I'll leave those for you to find."

So yeah, he probably considered that.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: December 23, 2009, 06:24:54 am »

Gonna crosspost this year, though I'm sure a lot of the more dedicated gents in this topic know all of this stuff already. I compiled a list of the new features and changes the next version will have. I tried my best to grab the info from the devlog, this very thread, as well as the podcasts.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT8EQVUjrv96ZGc5cnBwOHZfMjgyY3FzZHFtanA&hl=en

It's probably not everything and it may contain mistakes, but this behemoth is 11 pages long and contains almost 5000 words. Yeah. This is going to be a gigantic release.

This document is amazing.

Anyway, since there's now a lot of new ways to organize your army and defend your civilians, will there be new challenges ? (apart from the underground I mean)
Will the goblin come more often ? With stronger forces ? And especially - will they attack indefinitely, like it used to be ?

Pure_W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9144 on: December 23, 2009, 07:10:10 am »

You still planning to release by th end of the year, toady?

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: December 23, 2009, 07:24:44 am »

After a quick read-through of the dev logs for this release (because they're informative and amusing), a few things came to mind.

Sutures will apparently act much like stuck-in items, so can they therefore be twisted in the wound or pulled out?
If so, would this just worsen the wound or remove the suture, or do anything nastier?

Also, how do casts work? Can they be broken or cracked by further attacks?
Although that's kind of invalid if they count as wounded dwarves and would not participate in fights...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: December 23, 2009, 07:31:45 am »

Also, how do casts work? Can they be broken or cracked by further attacks?
Although that's kind of invalid if they count as wounded dwarves and would not participate in fights...

Um...I don't think that any DF races consider wounded "out of the fight", nor civilians, so I'm pretty sure even they'll try to fight back if able.

Also, no-item damage is OUT for this release, so I expect that casts will make fine clubs if one can swing 'em, but won't be breakable. (Maybe worsen the break under the cast by attacking, though the cast should distribute force in such a way that it won't.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:33:35 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: December 23, 2009, 07:48:41 am »

I have a quick question that I haven't seen yet (although I may have missed it somewhere in these 600 or so pages).

Will immigrants still be completely random, or will they draw their appearance genes from the genepool available to your civilization?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: December 23, 2009, 08:05:41 am »

I...hmm, good question. Presently(40d) it doesn't look at the civ other than "is it still there?" for immigrants, to my knowledge. And, it probably still won't REALLY pull them from until Caravan Arc.

Does sound like a quick intermediate solution, though, to just grab genepool of the founding couples, adding in other civs' if they're mingled/can interbreed.
Or if not, and actually make it possible for multiracial forts if your home civ has conquered some others, though that requires fixing up other code...hmm...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: December 23, 2009, 08:22:46 am »

Something I thought about, considering the creature templates and the earlier-discussed F() function. If you imagine that there's an F() for every existing creature... hybrids would be possible?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 1065