Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632008 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9075 on: December 22, 2009, 04:51:20 pm »

well, i'm ready to admit that they are some generic magic monsters acting as placeholder for when magic monsters are a fruit of religion or spheres, or forces, then firemen will be replaced by angel-like manifestations of the deity blarbzug uzbudoskus the fiery death of lambs, in the shape of a male dwarf with eagle legs, permanentlly engulfed in flames with a golden dog skull in place of it's head

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: December 22, 2009, 04:53:58 pm »

well, i'm ready to admit that they are some generic magic monsters acting as placeholder for when magic monsters are a fruit of religion or spheres, or forces, then firemen will be replaced by angel-like manifestations of the deity blarbzug uzbudoskus the fiery death of lambs, in the shape of a male dwarf with eagle legs, permanentlly engulfed in flames with a golden dog skull in place of it's head

It would be somewhat interesting to see if gods had styles and that would determine what its servants, creations, and curses would appear as. Though I don't think Toady is going to leave all the creatures to the generation system, even if some only appear in certain spheres apperantly.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: December 22, 2009, 04:55:50 pm »

I just remembered something, a question I don't really remember being asked outright.
It's a cautiously serious question.

Toady, what would it take to persuade you to even consider an attempt at porting DF, or any part of it, to Windows Mobile? Because I'm growing more and more tired of the selection of games available for it. Peggle can be fun for only so many hours/days/years, and Sudoku is hardly as much entertainment as I would like.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: December 22, 2009, 04:59:45 pm »

Well, the average computer can barely play a full game of DF (with running water, magma, and around 100 dwarves) at a decent FPS.

Unless you've got a mobile phone with a 2Ghz CPU, you'll never be able to run it. Furthermore, there has been a (or several, IIRC) topics concerning porting DF :)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: December 22, 2009, 05:05:04 pm »

I don't expect it to run a "full" game of DF. Barest of minimums, a tiny site with a handful of dwarves - it's still going to be a lot better than anything the WM platform has to offer in terms of replayability and sheer "fun".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: December 22, 2009, 05:07:06 pm »

Toady, what would it take to persuade you to even consider an attempt at porting DF, or any part of it, to Windows Mobile? Because I'm growing more and more tired of the selection of games available for it. Peggle can be fun for only so many hours/days/years, and Sudoku is hardly as much entertainment as I would like.

Have you tried playing over SSH?  Honestly you'd probably get better performance that way than with a port.

Porting it would be a waste of time anyway.  Windows Mobile is dying.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9081 on: December 22, 2009, 05:11:46 pm »

I just remembered something, a question I don't really remember being asked outright.
It's a cautiously serious question.

windows mobile does not have binary compatability across all its supported platforms. You would need to target a version specifically for whatever hardware you are using. Add to that, windows mobile is total crap.

IIRC there is a DF remoting application that can theoretically run on a smart phone. Essentially streaming the interface over telnet from a remote desktop. I can not recall what its called though.

It *might* be possible to recompile the linux version for the ARM architecture, but again it will run like ass as the best of its kind currently available runs at about 500 Mhz to 1 Ghz (not even really sure the 1Ghz is actually out yet).
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

titan-rex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Crazy dinospartus Rex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: December 22, 2009, 05:48:24 pm »

a port to the PsP or DS would be amazing but the same problems still there, my laptop has trouble with 100 dorfs+ so my poor PsP would die after say 10?.......

its a shame really because i would happily pay een for a slightly dumbed down version
[CANCELS_SOCIAL_LIFE: REASON: DWARF FORTRESS]

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9083 on: December 22, 2009, 06:03:15 pm »

Dorf mode would run like crap, but I distinctly remember someone attempting a psp port of DF adventure mode and he got the rudiments working. I wonder how that ended up.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: December 22, 2009, 06:09:48 pm »

a port to the PsP or DS would be amazing but the same problems still there, my laptop has trouble with 100 dorfs+ so my poor PsP would die after say 10?.......
Not to mention using the interface.  :D

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9085 on: December 22, 2009, 06:15:42 pm »

Well, i checked the PSP's stats, (PSP GO), it has 64MB of RAM and a 333 MHZ processor.

Having tested extensively with lots of different computers low performance and high, my prediction is the PSP GO could get 60 fps at 15 dwarves, on a simple, flat, 2x2 embark.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:18:22 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: December 22, 2009, 06:20:44 pm »

I was kind of defusing that earlier stuff. I still think of them as bieng golem-like since the raws say elemental_man for the Magmaman and Fireman. I know they aren't true golems, the magmaman isn't exactly solid either and I think Blizzardmen may be more akin to an Ice giant, just made out of solid ice. Mudmen aren't really solid either, but I guess could be closer to an elemental rather than a golem.
Golems are, generally, crafted anyway.

Spoiler: for Neonivek (click to show/hide)
Not to mention using the interface.  :D
Touch screen would be a good way to go, actually.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: December 22, 2009, 06:34:28 pm »

Modernisation?

Raksha is not exactly new, just differently originated

I know I KNOW! I just don't have a word for it.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: December 22, 2009, 06:43:34 pm »

...and now I want to play DF on my Ipod.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: December 22, 2009, 07:24:19 pm »

Well, the iphone could do it.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1065