Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632181 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8940 on: December 19, 2009, 02:36:25 pm »

@Footkerchief: Yea, I wasn't sure what exactly Toady was talking about in todays devlog. It may have had something to do with the mysteries 1,000* miles down.

*An exaggerration if you can't tell.....

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: December 19, 2009, 02:39:56 pm »

But then there's no word for "elf", "human", "goblin" or "kobold" either.

There are no elven, dwarven, or goblin words for any of the creatures, which is kind of problematic.  I suspect that eventually 1) creature raws (and material raws too, probably) will include their own word definitions like the ones in language_words.txt, and 2) worldgen people will make up names in their own language for each creature they encounter.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: December 19, 2009, 03:30:46 pm »

Oh, I didn't realize that. Petrified wood looks more of an orange-red than bright red though.
In the init file we have 16 colors we can define. Mayday shifts them a bit and you can find other "sets" on the wiki but the number is 16. With graphics packs the actual graphics have a wider range of colors but everything that you see in the tileset files uses those 16 colors.

But then there's no word for "elf", "human", "goblin" or "kobold" either.

There are no elven, dwarven, or goblin words for any of the creatures, which is kind of problematic.  I suspect that eventually 1) creature raws (and material raws too, probably) will include their own word definitions like the ones in language_words.txt, and 2) worldgen people will make up names in their own language for each creature they encounter.
If they were all able to talk we could say they were just actually showing some respect and using people's names for themselves.

Probably a bit much to expect from any civilization though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: December 19, 2009, 03:33:53 pm »

If they were all able to talk we could say they were just actually showing some respect and using people's names for themselves.

Well the only ones that don't speak intelligable language are the Kobolds. Maybe "Kobold" is just the sound they make when they die, so the other races just shrug and refer to them that way.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: December 19, 2009, 03:48:18 pm »

Well the only ones that don't speak intelligable language are the Kobolds. Maybe "Kobold" is just the sound they make when they die, so the other races just shrug and refer to them that way.
That's a reference to something.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:04:57 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: December 19, 2009, 03:52:11 pm »

News to me

EDIT: Perhaps it was Unforgotten Realms. I seem to remember the Kobolds speak pokémese in that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:15:53 pm by Lancensis »

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: December 19, 2009, 04:49:23 pm »

will river flooding ever come back? e.g cave river and magma river flooding in the 2D version

and

will adv mode zombie ruins return?
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: December 19, 2009, 04:57:17 pm »

will river flooding ever come back? e.g cave river and magma river flooding in the 2D version

It's been suggested that they come back, but I couldn't find any word from Toady on it.

will adv mode zombie ruins return?

In some form, yes:

As the currently released version stands, there are ruins of old structures that come from sites that happened to become unpopulated in some way.  So if you were to find pyramids like the old ruined pyramids from the older 3D versions, they would have come from a pyramid-building civilization you could just as easily find alive.  You can currently find a ruined keep in that way (from a civ that would have an occupied keep).  The current entity defs just need more diversity than they currently have.

I don't think it's crucial to have dungeon-type locations that are left behind with level-graded treasures scattered properly or something like that (the pyramid ruins were like that -- it hid the best stuff deeper in).  If there are dungeons, they'd be either abandoned or occupied, created in world gen or during play by the sort of critters that would have a dungeon (like a dwarf fortress).  Game-wise, it would certainly be better to have the old 3D zombie ruins from before than nothing, but hopefully we can do better than that.  Ideally, every explorable adventure location that you find would have a real reason for being there, linked in with the world history and everything else.  There are plenty of ways for that to still involve interesting things to find laying around, though places that would have been looted by whoever sacked them and so on should probably be looted.

Ghost transformations are one of those metaphysical matters that didn't have explanations attempted in the game when they existed, just like the current undead regions.  When those have explanations, things like ruins with zombies should arise more naturally.  This could involve gods in pantheons of death/rebirth/etc., regions linked to death/etc. for whatever reason, etc., but it's all specific mechanics at that point.  I guess a key point there would be that site/civ-wide zombie transformations would still theoretically be able to happen during play, which would be cool, once you've got the world gen mechanics trickled over to dwarf mode or adv mode (or vice versa, whichever way it goes in first).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:00:46 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: December 19, 2009, 09:12:31 pm »

It is one of the major differences between current and modern audiances that certain things needed to be explained. Which in many ways killed the magic of many settings turning what is often the mechanics of the world into some sort of scientific reasoning.

In a way it is the death of mystery but it is also the death of symbolism as active participants in the story in the best way I can explain it.

For example, why do ghosts need to be explained? Even if they are explained why should it be anything then explaining that in this world people often become ghosts and that ghosts self-propigate as a implied but never stated addition (as in, the more ghosts that are around the more likely it is to have more ghosts).

Though I know this isn't really the area I should be discussing. It is just musing.

I realise that the reason isn't so much that it needs to be explained away, though seeing how people often take sci-fi now adays, but that the game needs to understand the mechanics.

I often wonder if there will be ways in which the game generates sort of non-earth laws for how things react. Where being a canible turns you into a literal monster, or where having an improper burial makes you a ghost, or even where simple trinkets harm supernatural creatures that in other games do not share that weakness... all this without even touching "it is magic/Spheres" because it isn't magic it is "How the world works".

It won't but it is always interesting to think in such ways.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 09:17:50 pm by Neonivek »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: December 19, 2009, 09:24:27 pm »

I can't find the quote, but someone put it succinctly as "Let science work reliably, and let magic be MAGIC"
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: December 19, 2009, 09:28:25 pm »

Actually, it's "Let's science be reliable, let magic be MAGIC!".

It's Vester's sig IIRC.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: December 19, 2009, 09:42:18 pm »

Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: December 19, 2009, 09:53:23 pm »

I'm glad Toady wants to make magic variable, because if the fanbase had their way we'd be stuck with only one kind of magic rather than different magics for different worlds. And by fanbase I mean EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU >:[

YES YOU >:[
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: December 19, 2009, 10:18:24 pm »

Nooo, not me, I agree with you.  Really, I promise! 

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: December 19, 2009, 10:31:36 pm »

Actually, I'd just as soon not have magic.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:05:31 am by Christes »
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 1065