Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632170 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8895 on: December 18, 2009, 07:45:19 pm »

The very idea of "TL;DR"...
I find it to be slightly useful feedback. I don't actually make any conscious use of it but people here should be glad they're not reading my writing from a few years back.
Pascal's quote applies: "I have made this letter longer only because I have not had the leisure of making it shorter."  (Though there's some evidence he may have copied it from Cicero).  Tightening your writing tends to force you to strengthen your arguments.  The first draft of every paper I write is usually 15-20 pages plus a few figures, and the paper dramatically improves as we cut the text down to 10 pages including figures.

And the same goes for programming: the first version is full of redundant crud, and subsequent versions trim a lot of it (and then you play whack-a-bug just before release time and lose all your progress).  A day when I net -100 lines is usually a much more productive day than one where I net 100 lines.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8896 on: December 18, 2009, 07:45:33 pm »

Hell, how'd I miss that post? Nevermind, Foot beat me to it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: December 18, 2009, 08:26:04 pm »

The very idea of "TL;DR"...
I find it to be slightly useful feedback. I don't actually make any conscious use of it but people here should be glad they're not reading my writing from a few years back.
Pascal's quote applies: "I have made this letter longer only because I have not had the leisure of making it shorter."  (Though there's some evidence he may have copied it from Cicero).  Tightening your writing tends to force you to strengthen your arguments.  The first draft of every paper I write is usually 15-20 pages plus a few figures, and the paper dramatically improves as we cut the text down to 10 pages including figures.

And the same goes for programming: the first version is full of redundant crud, and subsequent versions trim a lot of it (and then you play whack-a-bug just before release time and lose all your progress).  A day when I net -100 lines is usually a much more productive day than one where I net 100 lines.
This resonates a bit with one of the reasons my posts get like that- when I see several pages more sitting in front of me I hurry so I don't end up with another page of things to reply while I'm catching up.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8898 on: December 18, 2009, 08:41:34 pm »

Now that creatures have description strings, are animalmen going to eventually regain their proper mythical names? I think they should.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: December 18, 2009, 08:50:58 pm »

Now that creatures have description strings, are animalmen going to eventually regain their proper mythical names? I think they should.

What do you mean? Like tigermen being called rakshas and so?
If so, I do admit its sorta cheezy right now (lizardmen, slugmen, leechmen, gentlemen, etc), but I sorta like it, sorta keeps DF away from D&D references and stuff.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8900 on: December 18, 2009, 08:54:26 pm »

I'm pretty sure their "proper" names are not going in. Based on Toady's expressed feelings on the subject, I think they'd only go in if they were done along-side the "[Animal]-man" label, so you always know what they are.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8901 on: December 18, 2009, 09:28:28 pm »

I think it would be fun to have subterranean corals.  Sort of like saplings, but if you let them grow too long they eventually turn into solid rock and heal your mining damage.  Could be farmed as a source of CaCO3 for smelting.
Or for CaCO3demons!
Also, everyone, I made a new Thread for the anthropomorphizing math discussion.
Let's move the whole thing there shall we, people? Come, AbacusWizard.
A champion axedwarf riding a warbear riding a tricycle?

No, a unicycle! And the warbear could be juggling extra axes!
Then the warbear need only know juggling on unicycle, and the dwarf can be a Legendary Thrower/Catcher, and pluck additional throwing axes from the air in front of him when he needs them.

...wait, how's he riding an upright bear?
It is arguable that they are not proper, since they'll only share the appearance of the mythical beasties.

If the mythical beasties themselves go in...ooh, that generates all sorts of interesting [POWER]leadership conundrums.

Step 1: [POWER] goes in by self (or with proxy, hiding itself nearby to exercise magic).
Step 2: Demonstrates to puny mortals its power.
Step 3: Requests subservience, permitting them to consider for a day(/other timeframe) if need be.
Step 4: Return after that, but with the entire tribe(/civ) of _men that look like they're of the same type.
Step 5: Receive abject surrender.
Step 6: Repeat.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8902 on: December 18, 2009, 09:31:00 pm »

You'd have to double the entries for gender and group terms in every entity...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: December 18, 2009, 09:45:56 pm »

Pardon? I'm not sure what you're pointing at here.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8904 on: December 18, 2009, 09:53:10 pm »

Pardon? I'm not sure what you're pointing at here.
It's not really that big a thing for any modders but you would need twice as many entries for, say, a tiger. Tiger (male) tiger (female) tigers raksha (male) raksha(?)(female) rakshas(?)

I don't want to head back into that anthro stuff so much but you need to either connect them this way or do some screwy little redirect over to another entity if you want tigermen to recognize that they're like tigers.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: December 18, 2009, 10:00:17 pm »

Oh, uh, no no. I was meaning if raksha in some form as tigerpersonlike <magical> demons were in, as well as tigerpeople.

Besides, no extra tag should be necessary once DF gets to that point, for people to recognize (in error or not) that one creature looks like another.
Tilesets

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8906 on: December 18, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »

Rakshasha aren't just Tiger Men though; they have backwards hands and are known for being quite magical and doing nasty things to people.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: December 18, 2009, 10:13:06 pm »

I'd rather they simply be called [animal]men. Keep-It-Simple-Stupid and whatnot.

Yes, I know, this is Dwarf Fortress, KISS is not necessarily found elsewhere in the game, etc., but really, it would be much less confusing if we refrain from calling animalmen fancy-schmancy names.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: December 18, 2009, 10:17:09 pm »

Still makes the one with a substitute to do the actual contact work fine.

It might make for some unrest later when people realize that not all of the tigerpeople are able to ZOT them or otherwise.

But how, as a generic townsperson, are you going to realize that inverted palms correlate to not having those powers? Is a pretty big leap.

Untelligent: I agree, I'm just saying it might be interesting if there is that, and then suddenly you get demons that are mostly-indistinguishable from one of these animalpeoples.

Kind of requires Knowledge though, or you just k(l in adv) and it says Raksha instead of Tigerman.
Tilesets

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8909 on: December 18, 2009, 11:44:29 pm »

As for the number of the upcoming version, there are far too many reqs and bloats to sift through,

Not to excessively toot my own horn, but I did sift through them last month, then posted the results here, and quoted them when it came up today.

Has it only been a month? Wow. Hrm, I had thought much more time had passed. I blame it on pre-release-hysterical-time-dilation-syndrome.

Hopefully I thanked you then for compiling it :)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 1065