Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632156 times)

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8850 on: December 18, 2009, 07:41:56 am »

I'm sure it must have been bought up over last 1,5 year, but as we're so close to release... Can we count what next DF version number will be?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: December 18, 2009, 07:48:46 am »

I want to know more about the "useable" underground areas. Toady's hinted at areas suitable for farming, though I'm curious how...soil layers well below surface? Enough water nearby that the rock surface can be irrigated?

I'm sort of picturing an open cavern with a small lake in it, surrounded by an area of fertile alluvial mud. Great for growing plump helmets, or an arbor of tower-caps...but with the lake connected to the subterranean waterways, you'd have the risk of olmmen/frogmen/etc. ambushing your farmers periodically.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: December 18, 2009, 08:06:07 am »

Actually, this would be a 2D version feature in modern Dwarf Fortress. Quite nice. I miss my Tower cap "forests" and occasional ambushes from various underground critters, as well as the fact those ambushes were more common as you used or disturbed the river, chasm, etc...

There was a nice Moria-inspiring feeling when dumping to much trash into a deep chasm result in its denizens starting to harass you. As well as the deeply proper DF satisfaction of solving the issue with a magma flood.

Whole worlds, mushroom forests, bizarre creature and ecology, luminescent stuff and shit, all available to be set ablaze with grotesquely unsure FUCK THE WORLD devices. Gorgeous.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:22:04 am by Athmos »

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: December 18, 2009, 09:50:28 am »

I think it would be fun to have subterranean corals.  Sort of like saplings, but if you let them grow too long they eventually turn into solid rock and heal your mining damage.  Could be farmed as a source of CaCO3 for smelting.

Whoa, that'd be cool.  Call it "stone blight" or something.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: December 18, 2009, 10:18:05 am »

I think it would be fun to have subterranean corals.  Sort of like saplings, but if you let them grow too long they eventually turn into solid rock and heal your mining damage.  Could be farmed as a source of CaCO3 for smelting.

Whoa, that'd be cool.  Call it "stone blight" or something.

Scub Coral imo.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: December 18, 2009, 10:38:14 am »

Neruz: I see you explored the galleries I linked... though pulling the images and linking them seems impolite at best. You didn't even credit the artist, Chael. First pic, and second
I'd just like to thank you for the links; I'm realy like marine biology and there's SOOO much cute behind those links! ^_^

Also, everyone, I made a new Thread for the anthropomorphizing math discussion.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Playbahnosh

• Bay Watcher
  • The Peacemaker
    • View Profile
    • PC Dome
« Reply #8856 on: December 18, 2009, 11:31:44 am »

And now I think I've recognized a problem. Ostrich-men seem like they would rather immediately lose the traits that made them an ostrich. At almost any degree (other than the surreal) they wouldn't have anything different that a chicken-man and that's an awfully large variation to go losing.

Maybe I'm just not seeing enough ways to do it...
Anthropomorphzed creatures carry traits from both humans and the creature they were generated from. In this context, ostrich-men could be built bipedal (since ostrich are bipedal anyway) with stronger legs. The long neck could be shortened a bit, and beak could be kept intact. The eyes should face forward a little and the body should be more elongated and more erect. The hands should be vestigial (like the ostrich's wings), only capable of performing simple tasks and holding simple objects (no comlex weapon usage, maybe rudimentary ones like clubs). They should be able to run very fast and attack with their beak or kick with their strong legs. Feathers could be kept in places, like arms and back, and the legs should be covered with scales. Their intelligence should be faily low, a little more than instinctual, maybe capable of living in tribes.

This is my speculation, and I'm not good with drawing so it's only a description. Also, the level of anthropomorphization could vary, so the resemblance to humans may be greater or lower.

That could be an interesting way of "starting" the world actually.
The Stand: Dwarf Fortress Edition.

I did not mean epidemics in the way of zombie infestation, I meant illnesses like cold, flu or other diseases. I'm maybe partial, but I think the healthcare arc should be expanded a little in the future with quarantines and simple ointments, healing balms or potions made in the alchemist's workshop from various plants, minerals or even bones n stuff. An outbreak of Da Plague could decimate your fortress if you are not careful. Diseases that attack nerves, the blood, even cause blindness or whatever, it could be implemented I guess. Waterborne, airborne via mist or miasma clouds...etc. Even other creatures should be susceptible to them like goblins or even dragons. So if a rickety, off-color dragon drags itself to the gates of your fortress, covered in blisters, collapses and dies, then your dwarfs should think twice before touching the carcass, however valuable it might be.

But now that you mention it, zombification could be caused by a virus in DF, so it's a transmittable disease. Any dwarf or creature coming in contact with a zombie should have a chance of being infected, it's transmitted by blood. Maybe not like 28 Days Later or Zombieland, but that also could be a nice touch: The infected first become nauseated, depressed, express simple flu symptoms, then they flip, go batshit insane filled with rage and start to kill every living thing. They lose all their intelligence, so they no longer able to wield weapons, use tools or anything, only instinct. In turn they get heightened reflexes, speed and strength, they feel no pain and can shrug off injuries, even loss of limbs, and can only be killed by decapitation.

It does not go against the mythology of the game, it provides a nice explanation IMHO. I wonder if these zombies, when caught in traps, could be tamed as warbeasts or for hauling stuff, but I think their volatile nature can cause problems.

Can I breed death ponies?
You mean pwnies? That could be fun :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:34:13 am by Playbahnosh »
"We do it on the stove. It's nice to have hot sex for once...and fries"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: December 18, 2009, 11:33:42 am »

Instead of writing up one anthropomorphic code a better way to do it could be by making many for the many kinds of creatures that could come up... but then connecting them so that they are considered the same.

Either that or you could use the incredably confusing code that has things like "If the original creature has no arms, then the manimal version will have them but will only have three fingers. If the original creature has multiple arms then the new creature will have just as many. If the creature has multiple legs then the new creature will have half as many legs as arms and as many legs" and stuff like that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:37:31 am by Neonivek »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: December 18, 2009, 12:22:01 pm »

Shoku, every single one of your posts are tl;dr
Thanks captain obvious.

It's fine that you can't post here constantly, it's mostly okay if you can't shut yourself up, but for god's sake trim your quotes.  Your posts are 75% unnecessary quoted material.  It's clutter and it makes it very hard to figure out what parts of a post you were replying to, which is probably why few people bother responding to you.
Is there any way to make the entry box taller? I can't navigate through my post to fix things without losing my place over and over.

Suicide booth workshops will be easy but you may need to put them in their own rooms and lock the doors.

The problem would then be dwarves with yellow and red wounds on spine or neck.
It's not like they leave bed anyway. Maybe if you can make a shop that produces enough gas you can just design your bedrooms with a little ceiling hatch and have someone else fill the place with gas. We'll have to see it before I can say if this will cost one or two dwarves. (If it were weak enough the active one could possibly get medical attention.)

That could be an interesting way of "starting" the world actually.
The Stand: Dwarf Fortress Edition.

I did not mean epidemics in the way of zombie infestation, I meant illnesses like cold, flu or other diseases.
The Stand was about a flu that killed all but a few million people and then they sort of regroup and things happen.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:26:24 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: December 18, 2009, 12:24:31 pm »

Thanks captain obvious.

Then why make them, sir?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #8860 on: December 18, 2009, 12:26:01 pm »

"Urist! Begin dumping!"
Tons and tons of dwarfs begin filing past, carrying loads of goblin junk.
The lot of it is dumped into the chasm, plummeting to the depths below.

Suddenly, a lot of comical disgruntled sounds and angry chattering is heard.
There is silence.
MyMayor looks into the pit, to see a ton of yellow angry eyes looking up at him.
He kicks a bucket of goblin socks into the pit, and the eyes start moving around furiously,
with chattering even louder.

"Urist! Begin Lava!"
A few hatches in the ceiling open up, and lava rivers begin pouring into the pit.
There is the sound of much screaming and anguish, followed by silence.

"That ought to occupy them for a while. Urist! Resume dumping!"
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: December 18, 2009, 12:27:32 pm »

Thanks captain obvious.

Then why make them, sir?
I don't know how long they are going to be when I start.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: December 18, 2009, 12:29:30 pm »

Woosh, alright I read the devlogs

Don't worry Toady when we remebered you saying a "week" we assumed it was just how long you were willing to put into it because you could otherwise work on it forever. I don't think I ever took it as a promise or as an immutable time period.

If something came up that would take longer then it will just take longer.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: December 18, 2009, 12:36:05 pm »

Anthropomorphzed creatures...
PLEASE. I made a thread for that stuff, take this discussion there.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: December 18, 2009, 12:36:52 pm »

Yeah, no worries on length of time. It'll be done when it's done, and we'll all go insane looking at all the new stuff and forget how long it too it to show up anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 1065