Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632223 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8835 on: December 17, 2009, 11:47:53 pm »

It's perfectly clear to me...quote, response. quote, response.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8836 on: December 17, 2009, 11:49:15 pm »

"000802 □ [creatures] snakemen can get through fortifications"
 Wouldn't they be thin/contorting enough do that? Along with a few other creatures.

Works for anyone, flows push creatures through fortifications. It can suck if you've got stuff like orcs in :)

Also, people are headed flame like a little too fast. Cool heads!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: December 17, 2009, 11:54:09 pm »

Hmm, I wonder if you could make the list of remaining items into a creature.  I mean, it has parts, and those parts have smaller parts (layers, if you will), which themselves have characteristics (color).  Although I'm not sure how I'd feel about lopping off, say, entity positions.

My mental image of this is some sort of long, mostly red and green centipede-ish thing.  And don't even THINK about anthropomorphizing it....eh heh heh

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: December 18, 2009, 01:10:08 am »

"Pseudo" as in "left out all the difficult parts," I take it.  Here's the most recent word on the matter:
It's still white, so I haven't done the consider part yet.  The main hurdle is the multi-z nature of such things, since all buildings currently reside on a single z level and the ramifications of that are quite pervasive, so there is quite a temptation to flub at this point, rather than engage in what could be a relatively long rewrite.
I would have thought just do it like vertical axles - one rope per z level (more expensive than what a lot of people are suggesting, but still workable and useful). However there's still pathing etc. to consider, and I'm sure Toady is the best person to know how difficult it is.

What I'm most looking forward to in the release is to have any fortresses that I start not be stuck on the wrong side of save compatibility for some of the future improvements. Oh, and burrows.
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: December 18, 2009, 01:19:07 am »

I think it would be fun to have subterranean corals.  Sort of like saplings, but if you let them grow too long they eventually turn into solid rock and heal your mining damage.  Could be farmed as a source of CaCO3 for smelting.

Before that happens, though, they could shelter a thriving ecosystem of land sharks, dried seaweed, and clownfishmen.  That's a cross between a clown fish and a man, not a cross between a clown and a fisherman.

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8840 on: December 18, 2009, 01:33:05 am »

I wanna talk about ponies now

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: December 18, 2009, 01:37:23 am »

clownfishmen.  That's a cross between a clown fish and a man, not a cross between a clown and a fisherman.

clownfish, eh?  Would they be the tentacled variety?  SoFish seems self-defeating ;)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8842 on: December 18, 2009, 01:59:09 am »

Clearly, he's talking about the new carp-inspired clowns.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #8843 on: December 18, 2009, 03:00:25 am »

12/16/2009: 40 or so new underground critters... and very few of them were "mans". In the raws, you can specify how deep you want them to be, among the first three layers (if your world doesn't have that many, they'll get crammed together) or down at the bottom ones. Now on to various other hanging issues with the underground.

so i have a question: will you be able to set up civ entities in the underground? like say the obvious darkelves/drow or darkdwarfs? that would be very interesting :>
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: December 18, 2009, 03:16:02 am »

so i have a question: will you be able to set up civ entities in the underground? like say the obvious darkelves/drow or darkdwarfs? that would be very interesting :>

Yes: "Today I set up a new entity definition for subterranean critters, so that some of the animal peoples will be able to use crude items as well as mounts again."

Further explained here:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Neonivek
Toady what are the future plans for the Beastmen in the sense of a social/civilisation structure if I am allowed to ask? Will they be Civilised or as an "Intelligent" creature will they automatically be drawn to form societies?

These change quite a bit.  We want the aboveground Animal Peoples more or less aligned with regional spirits and uneasily with elves when they are in contact, but the underground Animal Peoples are more insane and antisocial and also use crude weapons where the aboveground ones might not.  Ideally the intelligent creatures will be able to form structures for their societies themselves -- it's a difficult problem though, so we're going to start that experiment with the goblins, who will not have any pre-defined entity positions.  More:

Quote from: Javis
Question about the new subterranean entity definition. I thought you could only define it as one creature. I guess it can be multiple creatures in the new build?

Entity definitions could always accept more than one creature, but this doesn't mean that the creatures occur within the same instance of that civilization.  It distributes them evenly -- there is a new full entity definition for the underground animal peoples, and it has 8 creature entries.  This means that for each layer, it'll choose from among the 8 available and create a layer civ, just of that kind.  You can change the selection of weapons and everything else in the raws there.  Because the civ is "LAYER_LINKED", a shortcut flag until I sort this out, things like trading and so on won't be respected.  It's a catch-all flag much like BABY_SNATCHER and NUISANCE used to be, and it'll undergo the same kind of evolution most likely, until things start to make more sense.

So you should be able to mod in some halfway decent drow, as long as that LAYER_LINKED flag doesn't turn off anything too important.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 03:17:58 am by Footkerchief »

Ninjabob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: December 18, 2009, 04:49:46 am »

Suicide booth workshops will be easy but you may need to put them in their own rooms and lock the doors.

The problem would then be dwarves with yellow and red wounds on spine or neck.

Siru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8846 on: December 18, 2009, 06:35:14 am »

After reading the Yellowstone Supervolcano thread I have been wondering: Will we eventually see volcanic eruptions and their after-effects in worldgen?

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8847 on: December 18, 2009, 06:47:22 am »

The next version will allow you to breed smaller horses if you so desire.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8848 on: December 18, 2009, 06:52:30 am »

The next version will allow you to breed smaller horses if you so desire.
Can I breed death ponies?
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8849 on: December 18, 2009, 07:37:02 am »

You can surely mod them.

"In 10, Urist McAdventurer was struck down by a pygmy dire horse."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 1065