Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632410 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8790 on: December 17, 2009, 04:17:39 pm »

I'd like to see some salamanders.

We do have olms already, although others wouldn't hurt.

I probably would have responded to other parts of your post, but wall of text, dude.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8791 on: December 17, 2009, 04:22:18 pm »

NM on the whole non-bilateral thing lol.

Also,  as for the aliens surviving the weapons but not water, what are you talking about?

A little more plausible one is the martain invasion one, the martians are really powerful, yet they fall to an alien (to them) pathogen which we deal with easily.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8792 on: December 17, 2009, 04:26:32 pm »

I think more salamanders, including the classical, fire related kind as well as the natural likes-cold-and-damp kind would be pretty awesome.  And blind cave-carp.

Now on to various other hanging issues with the underground.
I ask you this:  just a phrase, or a terrible pun about starting work on rope ladders?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: December 17, 2009, 04:33:42 pm »

Can it not be both ;D
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8794 on: December 17, 2009, 04:40:19 pm »

I want to refute something that Shoku said, but I can't even find it again in that post.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8795 on: December 17, 2009, 04:51:29 pm »

Our thumbs would be so opposable, they wouldn't be able to get near each other!
I can't parse that. Opposable thumbs refers to how they can face the opposite direction of your other fingers (touching your index finger to your pinky is only barely in our range of motion and you couldn't hold something very well between the two,) I thought.
It's a bad pun(are there any good ones?) on the word "Opposable " being similar to "oppose".
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8796 on: December 17, 2009, 04:53:03 pm »

rope ladders! Come on Toady One! You're doing a great job!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8797 on: December 17, 2009, 05:14:16 pm »

Also,  as for the aliens surviving the weapons but not water, what are you talking about?

I believe that's a reference to an extremely cheesy Mel Gibson movie. Oh oh, you need me to narrow it down? It's called "Signs".

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #8798 on: December 17, 2009, 05:19:06 pm »

A little more plausible one is the martain invasion one, the martians are really powerful, yet they fall to an alien (to them) pathogen which we deal with easily.

Not plausible, not at all. The idea that there would be a world where a species can make it into outer space without being aware of microbiology is ridiculous. Also, wouldn't they have some sort of suit used for earlier explorations?
If they are so bad ass as to not need some sort of suit to hold pressure, protect from temps, and whatnot, then they probably have bio-ized themselves, unless you think life could advance that far in outer space.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8799 on: December 17, 2009, 05:27:07 pm »

The idea that there would be a world where a species can make it into outer space without being aware of microbiology is ridiculous.

Three words: Cargo Cult Civilization.

Granted that's cheating, since they didn't make it into space themselves.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8800 on: December 17, 2009, 05:46:30 pm »

Surely rope ladders are easy?
Say for each bit of rope you can go 2 tiles, here is some psuedocode:

Code: [Select]
/*Assuming x y z are the starting point of the ladder, z is the height axis and starts from the top, and you replace the stair function with proper code*/
PlaceObject(x,y,z,STAIR_DOWN,"Rope");
int height=1 ;
bool done = false;
while (!done){
if(Map[x][y][z+height+1]==true||height==rope*2){ //If we cant go down
PlaceObject(x,y,z+height,STAIR_UP,"Rope");//Place up stair at position
done = true; // We are done
} else {
PlaceObject(x,y,z+height,STAIR_BOTH,"Rope");//Place up and down stair
height++; // increase height
}
}
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:50:13 pm by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8801 on: December 17, 2009, 05:49:32 pm »

Not plausible, not at all. The idea that there would be a world where a species can make it into outer space without being aware of microbiology is ridiculous. Also, wouldn't they have some sort of suit used for earlier explorations?
If they are so bad ass as to not need some sort of suit to hold pressure, protect from temps, and whatnot, then they probably have bio-ized themselves, unless you think life could advance that far in outer space.

There were no micro-organisms whatsoever on Mars in War of The Worlds, so they had no idea that they would be a problem. I can't remember if there was a definate answer as to whether they'd been eliminated by the civilization a long time ago, or if life simply hadn't originated in that way.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8802 on: December 17, 2009, 06:02:43 pm »

Surely rope ladders are easy?
Say for each bit of rope you can go 2 tiles, here is some psuedocode:

"Pseudo" as in "left out all the difficult parts," I take it.  Here's the most recent word on the matter:

Quote from: smjjames
Toady, I know you don't want to spoil the underground stuff, but could you at least let us know about the rope ladder type thing? As that is well known and probably important (if not critical) for the cavern stuff.

It's still white, so I haven't done the consider part yet.  The main hurdle is the multi-z nature of such things, since all buildings currently reside on a single z level and the ramifications of that are quite pervasive, so there is quite a temptation to flub at this point, rather than engage in what could be a relatively long rewrite.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8803 on: December 17, 2009, 06:11:52 pm »

...jeez. I was going to actually get into this thread for the first time and try and keep more up to date on the development conversation, but... first post on this page just intimidated the hell out of me. You guys can keep your astoundingly dense-yet-intelligent conversation, I'm gonna go stand over there.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8804 on: December 17, 2009, 06:13:31 pm »

Please, please let him bail on it. I want new DF out by Christmas to counter the mind numbing boredom of having to deal with family and stuff like the Queen's speech, or after dinner conversation.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 1065