Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632439 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8745 on: December 17, 2009, 05:33:21 am »

Both greys and elves have crossed my mind, actually. Greys are the more probable target, except for our planet's humans, the skin wouldn't be all that grey. Elves...  snobby, self-centered, nature-loving, cannibalistic... yep, fit like a glove. :)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:41:55 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #8746 on: December 17, 2009, 05:59:11 am »

Response to physics derail:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, how do you that thing that the spoiler shows a short description?

Edit: Added a link to a wikipedia article.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:09:17 am by DreamThorn »
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: December 17, 2009, 06:10:31 am »

Considering Toady is a doctor of mathematics, I wonder if he's seen this F(creature) math discussion yet.

I'll bet he's laughing too hard to respond.  Laughing with satisfaction that is.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: December 17, 2009, 06:22:47 am »

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: December 17, 2009, 07:08:49 am »

If certain inputs into a function yield nonsense results, clearly the function is poorly defined. :/

Some of you want to include human as a maximum, so alter the function to take this as such. The hybridization function is a step in the right direction.
We need several functions to create various blend-forms/ hybrids.
(I tried to write a function that follows an asymptotic curve here, but ended up confused with a non-species.)
We need: animal anthropomorph/civilization function, hybrid function, man animalistication/feralization function.
Giving man animalistic features seems to me a more reliable method of creating animalmen than the reverse, mainly due to the hands thing. a 10%anthropomorphised fish is no fishman in my book but rather a facefish or walkingfish. In order to earn the title animal-man, the creature needs to be more man than an ape. And apes are 99% like human already!

Also fantasy hybridisation works by magic and not 100% realworld genetics, so we need to add a bit of that too. Randomised creature gen we have, combining various Body parts from various creatures (and other stuff).
Centaurisation function, faunisation function, mermanisation function, demonification functions, etc., generally are similar grafting functions, but more specific. eg Take humanoid, replace legs with a quadruped, equine creature or fish tail, or snaketail. Faun and demon are more anthropomorphic though, but with altered legs, added horns, tusks, wings, fur, scales, etc

Possibly the method could
evaluate the bodytemplate of the target creature and take (predefined ?) characteristics from it, such as skintype, horns, tails, etc and just add/replace those to the basic human bodyplan. Add some randomized wholly transplanted bodyparts, head, or just the eyes, ears, teeth, nails/claws.
Tags such as [breathwater] [intelligent] [grasping] and whatnot are linked to bodyparts? (gills, brain, hands/teeth)
Taking up the f(elf,-0.5)=orc ,f(hobbit,-0.5)=gollum, etc argument:
this is more an allignment function, though the evil one did only ever detract from the originals.
This argument allows for: f(human, human)=highmen of Beleriand, who were stronger of will and body and lived much longer than the men in the time of the Fellowship.

[/rant]

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:28:24 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: December 17, 2009, 07:40:43 am »

I guess this discussion depends on whether "human" is a static reference or an evolving concept. For example, you cannot get more spherical than a sphere, as the definition of a sphere is unchanging. But humans have advanced their culture and to some extent their bodies over time. So are humans more human than they used to be? If so, when do we draw the "human line"? When talking about something being more or less human than another thing, we must necessarily talk about concepts and characteristics which we attribute to humans and not humans themselves.

So my "human criteria" are these:
  • manual dexterity
  • intra-community communication
  • inter-community communication
  • the ability to abstract reality from experience
  • problem solving

There are other aspects of "human" that I cannot think of at the moment, but I would say these are really the prime human traits. Note also that humans are by no means the pinnacle of these criteria, just the best examples so far.

However, turning animals into animal men also requires some changes which are more physical than these. Erect posture, exaggerated facial features for communication (notice how our eyes indicate where we are looking), opposable thumbs on forelimbs, reduced muscle mass but increased brain mass, reduced (or stylised) fur/scales/whatever on the face and head (e.g. beards and hair as opposed to a full facial covering), and body decoration - clothes, tattoos and jewelry. That should just about turn any creature with eyes into an animal man, though aquatic creatures are definitely harder.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: December 17, 2009, 08:13:01 am »

The forms we will take X many years into the future will not be Human; assuming they have evolved far enough to deviate sufficiently to be defined as different species.

In the same way that we are not Chimpanzees, our future selves will not be Humans. Or at least, will not be Homo Sapiens.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: December 17, 2009, 08:34:23 am »

The forms we will take X many years into the future will not be Human; assuming they have evolved far enough to deviate sufficiently to be defined as different species.

In the same way that we are not Chimpanzees, our future selves will not be Humans. Or at least, will not be Homo Sapiens.

The only flaw with that statement is that we didn't evolve from Chimpanzees. We co-evolved with them, which is why we're so closely related, but we humans took a different (more successful?) evolutionary path than chimps.

We're descended from things like chimps, but probably not chimps as we know them today.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: December 17, 2009, 09:35:38 am »

Just saying, the twin 'paradox' is the biggest pile of BS to ever get labelled a paradox ever. It ain't a paradox because they experience uneven forces.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #8754 on: December 17, 2009, 09:43:26 am »

More physics.  Hopefully the last one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@Osmosis: Yes, which is why I keep putting it in quotes.

@Neruz: AFAIK they stay Homo Sapiens as long as they share a genepool with us.  And anyway, humanity is merging with technology; long before we can evolve into another species man will be indistinguishable from machine.  You might count that as a new species though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:46:31 am by DreamThorn »
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: December 17, 2009, 09:47:15 am »

So do you guys think that five pages of off-topic discussion is maybe the point where you could take it to another thread that I can then not follow at all because holy crap this is the most boring bullshit I've ever read in a web forum?
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: December 17, 2009, 09:49:05 am »

We're descended from things like chimps, but probably not chimps as we know them today.

Tree shrews!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8757 on: December 17, 2009, 09:51:55 am »

DreamThorn: You don't know what you are talking about. Time dilation does not reverse time. You will never "come back younger", only less old. It is also not relative velocity that affects time dilation, it is absolute velocity, based on the absolute speed of light. Launch two objects in opposite directions at the same relativistic speed, will both return with the same clock time.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: December 17, 2009, 09:58:03 am »

The only flaw with that statement is that we didn't evolve from Chimpanzees. We co-evolved with them, which is why we're so closely related, but we humans took a different (more successful?) evolutionary path than chimps.

Which doesn't change the point in the slightest; modern Homo Sapiens is not ancient Cro Magnon, is he?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: December 17, 2009, 10:00:28 am »

and that's not taking the whole "almost blown up halfway through evolution" thing Earth has experienced.
You're referring to the Permian extinction? Mass extinctions like that tend to accelerate evolution, as the best adapted organisms survive and repopulate quicker. The branches of advanced reptiles that evolved into dinosaurs or mammals would've had an uphill battle without the boards being cleared.
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 1065