Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632677 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8670 on: December 16, 2009, 02:22:46 pm »

Is anyone else actually more excited by this than Christmas? I despise the festival, as it happens, but don't let that mar the question. Christmas has a lot of negative things associated with it, while the DF update is all joy and fluffy wamblers.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: December 16, 2009, 02:46:22 pm »

Is anyone else actually more excited by this than Christmas? I despise the festival, as it happens, but don't let that mar the question. Christmas has a lot of negative things associated with it, while the DF update is all joy and fluffy wamblers.

I'm way more excited about this release than Christmas. I even built myself a new system to prepare.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: December 16, 2009, 02:49:32 pm »

I'm way more excited about this release than Christmas. I even built myself a new system to prepare.
You know, I think i find myself agreeing with you there.

No, wait, I'm getting Death note, Cowboy Bebop and a shitload of goodies for christmas.

DF release = Cherry ontop.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: December 16, 2009, 03:01:39 pm »

And me three.  Especially since my Christmas present (a week skiing in Vermont) came early (read, now).  But even that fails to compare with DF.  :D

Edit: Several months ago I'd asked whether sand would be available as part of the new underground and the answer was "no" (direct from Toady).  Has that answer changed since?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:04:37 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: December 16, 2009, 03:38:22 pm »

I kinda want him to put a release date that he knows he will be done BEFORE. Like, "New version is going to be released on January 10th" or maybe January 30th. That way, we can fight the uncertainty and anticipation.

Really, guys, I don't want to see you all be disappointed. The version is going to have bugs and has a lot more unseen changes in it unless you are a modder. Some of the changes are new, refreshing, and great, but overall, I feel like some of you might tear up if it's not as amazing as you expect.

Don't cry. :'( I cry when others cry.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: December 16, 2009, 03:46:54 pm »

And me three.  Especially since my Christmas present (a week skiing in Vermont) came early (read, now).  But even that fails to compare with DF.  :D

Edit: Several months ago I'd asked whether sand would be available as part of the new underground and the answer was "no" (direct from Toady).  Has that answer changed since?

Probably not because of the way soil layers work vs rock layers.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: December 16, 2009, 03:50:17 pm »

I kinda want him to put a release date that he knows he will be done BEFORE. Like, "New version is going to be released on January 10th" or maybe January 30th. That way, we can fight the uncertainty and anticipation.

Really, guys, I don't want to see you all be disappointed. The version is going to have bugs and has a lot more unseen changes in it unless you are a modder. Some of the changes are new, refreshing, and great, but overall, I feel like some of you might tear up if it's not as amazing as you expect.

Don't cry. :'( I cry when others cry.

I doubt people will be too disappointed. Health Care, Squad reform, new Underground areas, and Burrows are all major changes to the game that will be very, very visible to everyone. That alone would be worth the wait, but all the rest of the changes will make for some fantastic game play changes as well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: December 16, 2009, 03:58:49 pm »

Do you guys remember the number countdown that was there before? I found that exciting. But I find this list with greening and stuff extremely exciting. It's getting a look in the developer's mind and process.

Back on note: Toady said while a release this year could be possible, putting down a specific date is somewhat asking for trouble. He still has to merge the d# over and debug a little (unless he does that as he goes, It seems he does most of the more visible bugs as he sees them.)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: December 16, 2009, 04:03:28 pm »

from a way back, but no one seems to have caught the implications in the WoT

Handling vitamins seems tricky. It's essentially the same as being poisoned except you'd have a value ticking down and suffer from low levels instead of high ones.

Maybe instead of defining it on particular plants you could have general categories like "citrus fruit" and either throw reverse-poison tags on those or have a file of ailments and assign preventative food categories to the ailment.

This may be hard to put in. But if anything like it ever does, then this "reverse poison" idea makes adding the mechanics of addiction dead simple. All you need to add to that process is a lack of need for the substance unless the creature has already consumed it once. then a flag is raised, and the "reverse posion" mechanic starts up.

I know that this leaves a lot out, but as a stripped down mechainc for addiction, I think it's pretty good. And I like the idea of poisons that once consumed once have to continue to be consumed. Or a poison that once consumed once causes you to have to consume another UNRELATED substance. These crop up in SF/F from time to time and are waywickedcool in my estimation.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8679 on: December 16, 2009, 04:03:33 pm »

IIRC, he already put in the work for the 40d# merge a few days ago and then got back to underground stuff.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: December 16, 2009, 04:05:17 pm »

The list is looking so green! I'm a bit scared about the integration bit, that seems like the hardest thing left on the list and it could be the thing that delays the next DF update. Also, getting it out within the next 14 days seems unlikely. It would be so amazing if he could get it out by Christmas, because my Christmas day is going to be as agonising as being shot in the face with a weasel.

Pre-post edit: Are you sure about the merger stuff? If it's true, that's great.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: December 16, 2009, 04:08:23 pm »

Great, GCSpeople.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8682 on: December 16, 2009, 04:08:46 pm »

Quote from: from the dev logs
12/11/2009: It turns out the scheduling for Baughn makes this an opportune time to do 40d# stuff, so I've been working through some preliminaries for the merge there instead of finishing off the section I've been working on the last few days.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: December 16, 2009, 04:09:29 pm »

He didn't finish it. He just started to do the preliminaries. However, I wonder how much time that saves.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: December 16, 2009, 04:11:49 pm »

Silence, Zironic, you're harshing my buzz.
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1065