Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632734 times)

LostandConfused

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8655 on: December 16, 2009, 12:26:43 pm »

If by that you mean he doesn't take any time off, then... yeah, that's not terribly inaccurate.

If you mean that he does it after coming home from work at Conglomerated Ltd., no, Bay 12 Games is his day job.

A little bit of both.  So he doesn't do any work outside of Bay 12, just living off everyone's generous donations?  I thought he did this entirely for his own interest/fun...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8656 on: December 16, 2009, 12:28:40 pm »

A little bit of both.  So he doesn't do any work outside of Bay 12, just living off everyone's generous donations?  I thought he did this entirely for his own interest/fun...

Yeah, he's Making Games Every Day All The Time.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8657 on: December 16, 2009, 12:29:53 pm »

That'd be more of an oxymoron, I'd say. Technically a paradox is a statement that is neither true nor false, such as "This statement is a lie."

Apart from the terminology mixup though you have a very good point. DF is unprecedented in many ways, although some similarities might be drawn to previous ongoing indie projects like NetHack and ADoM.

Of course, neither NetHack nor ADoM has had an update in years, so they're not exactly ongoing....talk about an oxymoron!  ;)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8658 on: December 16, 2009, 12:34:28 pm »

Just a thought here:

With the burrows, will it be possible to create a creche or nursery burrow? Or will the children still pretty much wander wherever they like?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8659 on: December 16, 2009, 12:37:57 pm »

Speaking of raws, everyone go read today's dev log right now.  Holy cow.  Creature templates implemented on a whim.
I have a sneaking suspicion my mods had something to do with it. :) I mean, seriously. It's more or less exactly my "Dr.More-Oh" mod upgraded into a game-supported feature.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:48:01 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8660 on: December 16, 2009, 12:43:12 pm »

Seven items seems like a breeze.... probably totally underestimating the amount of work involved though. :)
So, what happens if Toady1 finishes all of the listed items before the tentative release date?
Does it mean early release or extra time for some extra menacing spikes of code and other details and bugsquashing?

edit: My vote goes to some Adams free-time, he deserves some days of rest after such a tour-de-force of creation. :)

There's no official release date.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

LostandConfused

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: December 16, 2009, 12:47:23 pm »

Nice Footkerchief, quick with that link thanks

haha need to keep donating money so he doesn't get any crazy employment ideas.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8662 on: December 16, 2009, 01:12:22 pm »

Quick question : Any chance of getting the minimum number of dwarfs for a mood to occur as an init option? It'd be nice for people who want small forts AND artifacts.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:17:20 pm by jokermatt999 »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8663 on: December 16, 2009, 01:20:36 pm »

Templates for Giant and -men versions of creatures! Awesome! That'll make some basic modding very easy.

This'll be the best new year ever!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8664 on: December 16, 2009, 01:25:44 pm »

Oh, boy!  GIANT DWARFS!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: December 16, 2009, 01:28:13 pm »

Oh, boy!  GIANT DWARFS!
or maybe Giant dwarf-men?

What would happen if you made a human-man?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8666 on: December 16, 2009, 01:34:35 pm »

Template-based ___men seems like a natural progression. I wonder how long it'll be before we see sharkmen?...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8667 on: December 16, 2009, 01:41:14 pm »

I played with the idea in my mod, but dismissed them. Too much work figuring out tag exchanges for questionable gain - you hardly even see sharks in the game, and you can't fast travel over ocean to encounter them in adventure mode.

I like it that my ideas eventually turn out to be the right ideas, but it's ever so slightly sad that my mod is being gradually made redundant. Oh well. Another part of the Martial Arts mod out the window, following detailed bodies and fancy attacks. But Modbase's capabilities aren't yet expended! At least I still have my meta-magical weapons. ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:45:43 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8668 on: December 16, 2009, 01:59:27 pm »

Templates! Whheee! :D

I suspect templates themselves can't be assigned as entity creatures as of yet, only their results. Though that would be nice to have (with options whether a snatcher entity would be able to apply the template on none/all/some of the snatched - undead civilizations might be better modelled by something like that (along with other options of course, but that's not relevant yet - templates are more than enough for now)). It's probably also a first step in bringing out skeletons and zombies into the raws, though obviously that won't happen until a future release (Creature Improvements II.D/Core96).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8669 on: December 16, 2009, 02:21:52 pm »

Until there's an [UNDEAD] tag that specifically says a creature is to be treated as undead, even creature templates won't help. I could create templates for skeletons and zombies in modbase, but they would have no place.

That said, I can still upgrade Modbase to do entities based off generated creatures. I guess I'm at a slight advantage in that regard.

Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 1065