Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632714 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8640 on: December 16, 2009, 10:52:37 am »

Seven items seems like a breeze.... probably totally underestimating the amount of work involved though. :)
So, what happens if Toady1 finishes all of the listed items before the tentative release date?
Does it mean early release or extra time for some extra menacing spikes of code and other details and bugsquashing?

edit: My vote goes to some Adams free-time, he deserves some days of rest after such a tour-de-force of creation. :)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:55:19 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: December 16, 2009, 10:57:15 am »

Perhaps the only remaining issue is on how to designate an area for digging so that any alert from digging that particular area is muted and ignored and most importantly won't bother the player.

This is kind of handled in the next version.  You can set up the announcements such that digging alerts just show up as a little symbol at the side of the screen, without auto-pausing or auto-recentering or any of that.  You can't do it on a location-specific basis, though.

Yea, no more YOU HAVE STRUCK MICROCLINE! x5, or any other large cluster stone that can be annoying. There are other rock types that occur in large clusters scattered throughout the layer, but Microcline, Orthoclase, and Alunite are the worst offenders by far.

And guys, chill with the discussion about calories and stuff, we would need more powerful computers just to simulate that stuff along with what DF already does.

I agree with Areyar, Toady deserves a vacation however long he wants because he has worked his butt off with this stuff.

Edit: too bad there is no light blue text color option (for teh microcline) available on the forums, heh
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:59:23 am by smjjames »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: December 16, 2009, 11:06:13 am »

How come Microcline gets all the hate, anyway? Orthoclase is the real Eyeburn, with Olivine getting an honorable mention. Mind you, at least Olivine has good ores, within.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: December 16, 2009, 11:08:13 am »

should be possible to make some microcline with some raw html-code -as in not pulled from a menu.

Also more donations for Toady! :D

edit: actually BBC code and here can be found a table of hex-colourcode.
edit2: hmm. just guessing a color is easier than finding a hex-code that works. ;P
eg
Code: [Select]
[color=cyan]text[/color]#00CCFF should work too... cyanish :) yep.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:22:08 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8644 on: December 16, 2009, 11:19:26 am »

How come Microcline gets all the hate, anyway? Orthoclase is the real Eyeburn, with Olivine getting an honorable mention. Mind you, at least Olivine has good ores, within.

I like olivine--the green is a nice dark color that I think is good for toys and matched furniture sets.  Used to hate microcline, and then I started using microcline blocks for rooftops exposed to the elements--kind of a trademark of my dwarven cultures.

Orthoclase does suck.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: December 16, 2009, 11:23:04 am »

Olivine isn't generally as common as the other two. The main reason why Microcline and Orthoclase get all the hate is that they appear in layers that don't have much else and so they can easily appear in every 48x48 region tile in the layer. Its especially problematic when you have Diorite, which contains very little in the way of gems (I had one which had tons of ameythist though) and ore.

I like olivine--the green is a nice dark color that I think is good for toys and matched furniture sets.  Used to hate microcline, and then I started using microcline blocks for rooftops exposed to the elements--kind of a trademark of my dwarven cultures.

Orthoclase does suck.

When there isn't much of both orthoclase and microcline, its not too bad. Green is my favorite color anyways.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: December 16, 2009, 11:26:46 am »

I do like Orthoclase as fake Gold. There's enough of it to make 20 z-level towers if you want (which I have done).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8647 on: December 16, 2009, 11:32:14 am »

Orthoclase does suck.

So your dwarves have blue roofs? Sweet. Its all the rage here in the south. Some people who miraculously managed to get insurance payouts on their damaged homes even installed blue roofing tile when plastic tarps came off because they had gotten used to the color.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: December 16, 2009, 11:42:48 am »

So your dwarves have blue roofs? Sweet. Its all the rage here in the south. Some people who miraculously managed to get insurance payouts on their damaged homes even installed blue roofing tile when plastic tarps came off because they had gotten used to the color.

Seriously?  That's . . . really funny.  I always envisioned it sort of like those Spanish-colonial-type red roof tiles, but in blue stone.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8649 on: December 16, 2009, 11:53:09 am »

Toady, any chance of getting a peek at the updated raw files a little early? I've tentatively started work on a little VB utility to ease material template/generic material creation, but I don't know what's changed since the last spoiler or what reactions look like now. I'm sure it'd make modders happy too ;D Would be nice to get this thing out around when it becomes useful, if it actually ends up working ok.

It's cool if you don't want to spoil things so close to release though.
(sorry if this has already been put out there/asked o.o; I've gotten to be too busy to keep track of all the new posts, unfortunately]
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

LostandConfused

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: December 16, 2009, 11:55:58 am »

edit: My vote goes to some Adams free-time, he deserves some days of rest after such a tour-de-force of creation. :)

Time off? I thought Dwarf Fortress was what the great one did with his time off.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: December 16, 2009, 12:00:28 pm »

Toady, any chance of getting a peek at the updated raw files a little early? I've tentatively started work on a little VB utility to ease material template/generic material creation, but I don't know what's changed since the last spoiler or what reactions look like now. I'm sure it'd make modders happy too ;D Would be nice to get this thing out around when it becomes useful, if it actually ends up working ok.

It's cool if you don't want to spoil things so close to release though.
(sorry if this has already been put out there/asked o.o; I've gotten to be too busy to keep track of all the new posts, unfortunately]

Footkerchief did post a link to them a couple of pages back. Toady also posted a few example raws for the titans somewhere, both in the devlog and one of the Q&A sessions I think. We don't know how many changes there are since he spoilered the new raws, but it should give you a starting point.

Inyssius

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIPLOMATTACK:SPINERATOR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: December 16, 2009, 12:16:00 pm »

Time off? I thought Dwarf Fortress was what the great one did with his time off.

If by that you mean he doesn't take any time off, then... yeah, that's not terribly inaccurate.

If you mean that he does it after coming home from work at Conglomerated Ltd., no, Bay 12 Games is his day job.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8653 on: December 16, 2009, 12:17:15 pm »

Footkerchief did post a link to them a couple of pages back. Toady also posted a few example raws for the titans somewhere, both in the devlog and one of the Q&A sessions I think. We don't know how many changes there are since he spoilered the new raws, but it should give you a starting point.
Right, I've been looking at them. Unfortunately they're almost a year old now (off by two days). I wouldn't mind just an updated file_changes to get a handle on all the new tags, even. Mostly I'm wondering now how the different workshops handle materials, and if the tags like [THREAD_PLANT], [ALCOHOL_PLANT], [liQUID_MISC_CREATURE] etc still apply.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: December 16, 2009, 12:21:09 pm »

Right, I've been looking at them. Unfortunately they're almost a year old now (off by two days). I wouldn't mind just an updated file_changes to get a handle on all the new tags, even. Mostly I'm wondering now how the different workshops handle materials, and if the tags like [THREAD_PLANT], [ALCOHOL_PLANT], [liQUID_MISC_CREATURE] etc still apply.

Yeah, they're very old.  I only link to them because they're all we've got for a lot of the new raws.  I certainly wouldn't mind getting updated previews -- I don't think it would be much of a spoiler if just a small selection of creatures were included.  Incidentally we have a current Suggestions thread about this topic.

Speaking of raws, everyone go read today's dev log right now.  Holy cow.  Creature templates implemented on a whim.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:14:39 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 1065