Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632639 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8610 on: December 15, 2009, 09:34:24 pm »

Reading things on the internet: always scrutinize
Reading books even: always scrutinize
Your professor tells you: scrutinize secretly

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: December 15, 2009, 09:39:15 pm »

Oooh yep. Hehehe. Proffs are people too, not that you would know it from some of them.

Back on topic, regarding the new release, I'm not actually sure if I am excited about it, so much as I am excited it marking a point at which regular updates start rolling out. We don't just get a new game here, we get to look forward to a steady succession of interesting goodies. Improved sieges, for example...  :o
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Playbahnosh

• Bay Watcher
  • The Peacemaker
    • View Profile
    • PC Dome
« Reply #8612 on: December 15, 2009, 09:48:57 pm »

V1.0 would not be ultimate, it would be impossible. A game like DF is never truly finished, in a sense it's procedurally generated like the game itself, and will be for all eternity. I guess it's like Zeno's paradox, you can get closer and closer to v1.0, but never reach it.

DF is a paradox in itself. The most complex video game/simulation blend that we've ever seen, yet it's created by one single person living off of donations. It inspired countless intriguing and beautiful stories, novels, songs and works of art, yet the game itself has no sound, only one music track with one single acoustic guitar and it uses graphics that would've been considered ancient and obsolete more than a decades ago. It looks like it could be run on a NES, yet it needs the most powerful hardware in existence to be able to play the game to it's full extent. DF is immensely popular, yet it's totally obscure and unknown to the general gamer audience. Etc.

The evidence is clear: Dwarf Fortress shouldn't exist! It's unpossible!

Are you sure you know what a paradox is?  Being unusual or doing unprecedented things does not make something a paradox.

A paradox is essentially a contradiction, something that should not exist, yet it does.  I know what it means, the above post was merely meant to be sarcasm.

Generally v1.0 means the final, complete version of a game. in a sense, Dwarf Fortress will never be "complete", so in this regard v1.0 can never be reached. Of course Toady can use these arbitrary version numbers every way he likes, so this might not be case with DF, as 1.0 can mean just another stage in development (which it will, if I'm correct), and then 2.0, 3.0 and so on until Toady will no longer develop the game for some reason or other.

I rest my case.
"We do it on the stove. It's nice to have hot sex for once...and fries"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: December 15, 2009, 09:52:39 pm »

A lot of games have versions above 1.

In what way is Dwarf Fortress not "Complete" just because it can be added onto?

As someone once said: "You reach perfection in design not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

Versions above 1 are basically like adding extensions to a sturdy home (Expansions)

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: December 15, 2009, 09:54:06 pm »

It looks like nearly everything in toady's list has been made either green or red. Does this mean we should expect a release within the next couple of weeks?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:56 pm »

It looks like nearly everything in toady's list has been made either green or red. Does this mean we should expect a release within the next couple of weeks?

A lot of us are estimating that it'll be released in a month or less, yes.  There's no official release date though.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: December 15, 2009, 10:00:30 pm »

Are you sure you know what a paradox is?  Being unusual or doing unprecedented things does not make something a paradox.

A paradox is essentially a contradiction, something that should not exist, yet it does.  I know what it means, the above post was merely meant to be sarcasm.

Generally v1.0 means the final, complete version of a game. in a sense, Dwarf Fortress will never be "complete", so in this regard v1.0 can never be reached. Of course Toady can use these arbitrary version numbers every way he likes, so this might not be case with DF, as 1.0 can mean just another stage in development (which it will, if I'm correct), and then 2.0, 3.0 and so on until Toady will no longer develop the game for some reason or other.

I rest my case.

It's only a paradox if the logical structure of the thing makes it so.  Here, you've simply got some unwarranted assumptions and a counterexample that shows why they're unwarranted.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: December 15, 2009, 10:04:33 pm »

Basically a Paradox are two or more statements that are mutually exclusive yet both are held as true.

Saying: "This is this, and that isn't true" isn't a paradox because it isn't mutually exclusive since the second statement relies on the first statement.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: December 15, 2009, 10:08:27 pm »

No, it's just bogus.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: December 15, 2009, 10:30:00 pm »

It looks like nearly everything in toady's list has been made either green or red

quite christmasy, ain't it?

piupau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: December 15, 2009, 10:40:10 pm »

The combat and squads sections are amazing. I can't wait to play around with them... Next if Toady really manages to pull off all the top 10 eternal suggestions, together with burrows, that just about covers all I've ever wanted to nitpick about the game. Perhaps the only remaining issue is on how to designate an area for digging so that any alert from digging that particular area is muted and ignored and most importantly won't bother the player.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: December 15, 2009, 10:53:11 pm »

Perhaps the only remaining issue is on how to designate an area for digging so that any alert from digging that particular area is muted and ignored and most importantly won't bother the player.

This is kind of handled in the next version.  You can set up the announcements such that digging alerts just show up as a little symbol at the side of the screen, without auto-pausing or auto-recentering or any of that.  You can't do it on a location-specific basis, though.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: December 15, 2009, 11:11:23 pm »

V1.0 would not be ultimate, it would be impossible. A game like DF is never truly finished, in a sense it's procedurally generated like the game itself, and will be for all eternity. I guess it's like Zeno's paradox, you can get closer and closer to v1.0, but never reach it.

DF is a paradox in itself. The most complex video game/simulation blend that we've ever seen, yet it's created by one single person living off of donations. It inspired countless intriguing and beautiful stories, novels, songs and works of art, yet the game itself has no sound, only one music track with one single acoustic guitar and it uses graphics that would've been considered ancient and obsolete more than a decades ago. It looks like it could be run on a NES, yet it needs the most powerful hardware in existence to be able to play the game to it's full extent. DF is immensely popular, yet it's totally obscure and unknown to the general gamer audience. Etc.

The evidence is clear: Dwarf Fortress shouldn't exist! It's unpossible!

That'd be more of an oxymoron, I'd say. Technically a paradox is a statement that is neither true nor false, such as "This statement is a lie."

Apart from the terminology mixup though you have a very good point. DF is unprecedented in many ways, although some similarities might be drawn to previous ongoing indie projects like NetHack and ADoM.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:13:03 pm by AbacusWizard »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: December 15, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »

Part of me wants to believe that you're all attempting, in the spirit of irony, to engage in the most boring, useless, pointlessly semantic argument in the history of words.  The other part of me just wants to to tell you all to stop.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: December 15, 2009, 11:30:43 pm »

So basically Footkerchief is all MAN annoyed
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 1065