Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632708 times)

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8595 on: December 15, 2009, 06:25:46 pm »

Based on what I see as of this point, I'm expected a likely early to mid January release for the following reasons:
Agreed, people getting hyped about a christmas release are most likely getting disappointed. Ever since DF Talk #4 I've set my estimate to late January. So if that happens it's great. If it happens earlier, even better. If it happens just a little later, that's fine.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: December 15, 2009, 06:26:29 pm »

I am more concerned about people complaining because they expected some sort of ultimate release that would be unfathomably amazing.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: December 15, 2009, 06:32:54 pm »

We're getting underground features everywhere, a re-working of the body parts, burrows and custom workshops, much improved squad mechanics, and more.

It's not the ultimate release, that would V1.0, but it is pretty amazing.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: December 15, 2009, 06:47:27 pm »

January 16th is the day college starts again.  Knowing my luck it would be January 15th so that I stay up all night playing DF and miss my first day.

At least my A+ Operating Systems prof heard of DF before, so maybe he wouldn't be there either...

EDIT: I did an essay on indie games last semester too that mentioned DF quite a bit, so maybe my College Comp prof actually read the paper and got hooked too.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:50:38 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: December 15, 2009, 07:17:42 pm »

Everyone is clearly wrong.. Toady hasn't actually been working on Dwarf Fortress all this time, he's just been taking donations while making mock-ups for us.. he's going to get a good laugh out of all of us soon ;)

If you believe me then theres no way you could ever be disappointed!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: December 15, 2009, 07:26:23 pm »

We're getting underground features everywhere, a re-working of the body parts, burrows and custom workshops, much improved squad mechanics, and more.

See it doesn't need to be bad in order for people to be disapointed. It just needs to be less then what people will assume it will be.

Just look what you wrote, you basically put it near the level of version 1 being complete. It is no where close to that! The next release is more of a building block for the game then it is a gameplay enhancer.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: December 15, 2009, 07:27:18 pm »

I'm pretty hyped about next release! Mostly cause it's been so long that I've been waiting for it longer than any vidya game.  It's the final stretch now pretty much and I'm sure Toady won't disappoint. If it was a new game that cost money I'd be worried but instead this is an expansive update to an already awesome game so I'm sure it'll be well received.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:36 pm »

Holy mosh girl, we're so close its hard to believe, I'm already dreaming of crazy megaprojects flooded with creepy underground stuff.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Playbahnosh

• Bay Watcher
  • The Peacemaker
    • View Profile
    • PC Dome
« Reply #8603 on: December 15, 2009, 07:38:53 pm »

V1.0 would not be ultimate, it would be impossible. A game like DF is never truly finished, in a sense it's procedurally generated like the game itself, and will be for all eternity. I guess it's like Zeno's paradox, you can get closer and closer to v1.0, but never reach it.

DF is a paradox in itself. The most complex video game/simulation blend that we've ever seen, yet it's created by one single person living off of donations. It inspired countless intriguing and beautiful stories, novels, songs and works of art, yet the game itself has no sound, only one music track with one single acoustic guitar and it uses graphics that would've been considered ancient and obsolete more than a decades ago. It looks like it could be run on a NES, yet it needs the most powerful hardware in existence to be able to play the game to it's full extent. DF is immensely popular, yet it's totally obscure and unknown to the general gamer audience. Etc.

The evidence is clear: Dwarf Fortress shouldn't exist! It's unpossible!
"We do it on the stove. It's nice to have hot sex for once...and fries"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:10 pm »

Uhhh on the Contrary Playbahnosh, DF has clearly outlined goals and requirements for it to hit Version 1 as shown on the development pages.

Once all the V1 arcs are done, the game will be at version 1 and will be at what we call the Version 2 Arcs

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: December 15, 2009, 07:57:36 pm »

So at version 1, we will not actually be finished waiting for DF to be finished.

That is impossible.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: December 15, 2009, 08:31:33 pm »

V1.0 would not be ultimate, it would be impossible. A game like DF is never truly finished, in a sense it's procedurally generated like the game itself, and will be for all eternity. I guess it's like Zeno's paradox, you can get closer and closer to v1.0, but never reach it.

DF is a paradox in itself. The most complex video game/simulation blend that we've ever seen, yet it's created by one single person living off of donations. It inspired countless intriguing and beautiful stories, novels, songs and works of art, yet the game itself has no sound, only one music track with one single acoustic guitar and it uses graphics that would've been considered ancient and obsolete more than a decades ago. It looks like it could be run on a NES, yet it needs the most powerful hardware in existence to be able to play the game to it's full extent. DF is immensely popular, yet it's totally obscure and unknown to the general gamer audience. Etc.

The evidence is clear: Dwarf Fortress shouldn't exist! It's unpossible!

Are you sure you know what a paradox is?  Being unusual or doing unprecedented things does not make something a paradox.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: December 15, 2009, 08:38:07 pm »

Eh, looks like a passably-reputable collection of sources went into the compilation of this article on the effect of cooking on food: http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2h.shtml

So, with the new release being fairly imminent, when do we start discussing and organizing awesome succession games of forts or adventurers so as to build up the excitement to critical levels (just before everyone's brains explode)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: December 15, 2009, 08:56:58 pm »

I know that my brain will implode, rather than explode.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: December 15, 2009, 09:25:05 pm »

Eh, looks like a passably-reputable collection of sources went into the compilation of this article on the effect of cooking on food: http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2h.shtml

I looked at that and immediately was under the impression that they would go scrutinizing specific things about food without enough research or qualifications to pull through successfully.

Then I saw them refer to phosphorus as a "metal" (it's not, in any sense of the word) and just about gave up.

Then I read some more of it again, and honestly, they do seem to make some good points, although I can't really say much else without doing more research.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 1065