Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632906 times)

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8520 on: December 14, 2009, 09:07:40 pm »

I, for one, would love to see some sort of dwarven Pest Control officer. Maybe just a dwarf to take over the role of cats somehow.

Doesn't the "Trapper" job already cover that?

dunno, we really need a way to get rid of the vermin easier, pest control would be fun... like more official

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:05 pm »

I would just be satisfied if the [VERMINHUNTER] tag would be decoupled from the added effect of the creature adopting its own owners.  As it is I just cheat ruthlessly (I give cats the [MALE] tag so they just can't reproduce) because I've never had the patience to deal with a kitten-slaughtering industry while I'm still trying to get a handle on combat mechanics (though now I've stopped bothering since it'll be so different next version anyway).

If some of the issues of the [VERMINHUNTER] tag get worked out, dwarf-adoption and hopefully the only-eats-vermin issue, then one could easily create their own caste of dwarf that is uses the [VERMINHUNTER] tag.  Just say it's a family business.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: December 14, 2009, 09:19:29 pm »

Can't you easily just stick all the kittens in a cage instead and sell them to the next caravan?

What we really need there is neutering, but that's a whole other issue.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: December 14, 2009, 09:22:15 pm »

My solution to bees is to take my electrified bee swatter and smack them across the driveway because they keep eating little round holes in the side of my roof. (it's a plastic tennis racket with metal wires where the netting should be.  Push a button on the handle while swinging and anything you hit gets fried.  It is the single most awesome thing I have ever found in a garage sale.)

On topic: Yay Reaction optimization!  But does slight overall gain indicate a gain in lag or a gain in speed?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: December 14, 2009, 11:42:18 pm »

So close to done! YEAH

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: December 14, 2009, 11:45:53 pm »

On topic: Yay Reaction optimization!  But does slight overall gain indicate a gain in lag or a gain in speed?

Gain in speed, I'm sure.  A gain in lag ain't no kinda gain.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: December 15, 2009, 12:35:56 am »

So... very... close... were it not for my finals, I would likely be in hibernation right now.  Though I'd still wager on a mid-January release, I hope it comes out before Christmas, so I can build up a resistance to the glory of DF before I'm back at college...
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: December 15, 2009, 12:58:40 am »

On an unrelated topic...

Does anyone know if Toady has said he's going to do something about craft artifacts being annoying and useless?  You can't trade them, you can't use them, and it seems like making crafts is the default behavior for dwarves with no other crafting ability. 

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: December 15, 2009, 01:03:58 am »

Does anyone know if Toady has said he's going to do something about craft artifacts being annoying and useless?  You can't trade them, you can't use them, and it seems like making crafts is the default behavior for dwarves with no other crafting ability. 

In this release, no.  In the long term, very much yes:

# ARTIFACT ARC: Special items made by the dwarves aren't very interesting right now, and there's not much for an adventurer to do with them. These objects should have magical powers and they should have a huge influence on the actions of entities that come into contact with them. Even if your adventurer can't make use of a particular artifact, you could arrange for buyers in the nobility, and use those opportunitites to get a home or good entity standing, for instance. Related to Core79, Core80, Req395, Bloat49, Bloat173, PowerGoal13, PowerGoal60, PowerGoal68 and PowerGoal134.

# Core80, ARTIFACT MAGIC, (Future): An early angle on magic that should find its way into the game. Although ultimately influenced by world parameters, stock DF will likely focus on rare, unique, somewhat mysterious effects without tables, to the extent that that's possible. Some cliches are probably unavoidable, he he he. The artifact process is likely to be changed somewhat to align with this, and artifacts should be created in world-generation and elsewhere during play, though a good player artifact should still have high importance.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: December 15, 2009, 01:14:07 am »

Likely the first magic Artifacts get outside the magic arc will probably be little enhancers here and there.

So you will have weapons like Excalibur, Green Destiny, and such... Rather then the Sheath of Exalibur, Orb of disintigration, and Holy Grail.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: December 15, 2009, 01:29:53 am »

What we really need there is neutering, but that's a whole other issue.

How about dropping them in a way that would injure their reproductive organs?
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: December 15, 2009, 01:30:35 am »

I'd be happy if nobles snatched up craft artifacts and were so contented by it that they made less annoying mandates.

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: December 15, 2009, 02:35:45 am »

I'd be happy if nobles snatched up craft artifacts and were so contented by it that they made less annoying mandates.

Or at least, more fun mandates.  Like "I want lava in my office."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: December 15, 2009, 02:45:16 am »

Well, I want lava in MY office. Don't you? (Think Incredibles.)
we can totally declare custom adjectives for reaction products!

I don't know about that.  I'm curious how "chopped liver" was handled too, but I suspect it's hardcoded butchering behavior attached to a tissue tag, e.g. [CHOPPED_WHEN_BUTCHERED] or maybe parametrized like [BUTCHERED_ADJ:chopped].  I don't think we've had any indication that that adjective would be accessible in a reaction def.
Borgly borgles!
Let's take a step back here for a second and consider that you're debating the internal biochemistry...of a UNICORN. Granted, there's something to be said for injecting realism into fantasy, but it's worth keeping in mind the first rule of fantasy:

1. If it doesn't make sense, it's MAGIC.
Wait for the magic arc ;)

Let's not even get into how a unicorn's horn can neutralize poison.
Why not? It's simple. A unicorn is the epitome of purity. Therefore, it transmits this purity to all it touches. Grinding it up/cutting it off/killing the unicorn generally is sometimes considered to sully the purity- otherwise, unicorn horn mug is purity.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: December 15, 2009, 02:46:33 am »

Likely the first magic Artifacts get outside the magic arc will probably be little enhancers here and there.

So you will have weapons like Excalibur, Green Destiny, and such... Rather then the Sheath of Exalibur, Orb of disintigration, and Holy Grail.

Whoa--a legendary champion wearing the Sheath of Excalibur would be unstoppable, even with just an ordinary sword.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Use of the word "unstoppable" in this post does not necessarily apply to situations involving magma, bottomless pits, or enemies powerful enough to require being put in spoilers.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:49:21 am by AbacusWizard »
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 1065