Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632804 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8445 on: December 13, 2009, 07:20:15 pm »

When I zoom out (mac client), the menu writing shrinks, retaining the same tile size as the main screen (while still taking up 1/3 of the window). Makes it impossible to read the menu.

Oh, so what you want is graphical tiles getting smaller while the writing/letters stay the same size?  Yeah, that won't be in this release, unfortunately.  Graphics and text are very entangled right now -- the game makes little to no distinction between them.  Once they're disentangled, we should have proper zooming, niceties like variable-width fonts, and freedom from pillars, levers and bags showing up in text.  It's technically a Presentation Arc thing, but it's also the cornerstone of "Full graphics support," which is standing at a very strong seventh place in the top 10 suggestions.  So it's possible we'll see a fix in the months following this release.

ah, I was afraid it might be something like that :(

I am none the less most pleased with your work :)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: December 13, 2009, 07:33:19 pm »

On teh one hand, rubber trees are a South American tree, so doesn't really fit with the European medieval fantasy setting... On the other hand, we have all sorts of creatures from all over the world available, Jaguars, which are from South America, for one.

And Mountain Goats, which are actually a North American animal, as are Cougars which are found throughout the Americas.

I think some of the tree types in DF are found in the Americas, like Birch I think.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: December 13, 2009, 07:46:34 pm »

yeah, it bothers me a little that dwarves have rubber trees on their doorstep

Why?  The tree species present in an area should depend on the climate; if you happen to have a dwarf civ located in such a climate, they should be able to take appropriate advantage of the natural resources in their native surroundings.  The technology involved in this should be no more sophisticated than that of the benchmark year, 1400; that doesn't mean it has to be identical to a snapshot of European technology of that era.  Technological development is a function of environment, and novel environments will involve novel mixtures of technology.

If you don't want dwarves to have rubber trees at their disposal, a proper solution to this should involve adjusting the raws to reflect this constraint.  Not sure the degree to which this is currently possible versus future, but I think this is the philosophical approach of the game.

tweinst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: December 13, 2009, 08:05:45 pm »

yeah, it bothers me a little that dwarves have rubber trees on their doorstep

I think it would be perfectly alright if rubber trees were specific to certain spheres. (am I using that right?) If you had to contend with werewolves and zombies and chupacabras to get it, that would be okay.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: December 13, 2009, 08:10:39 pm »

I'm not sure what rubber trees have to do with chupacabras or werewolves.

The game has rubber trees because the game tries to simulate more than a single continent's type of wildlife. It has tropical areas, so it's bound to have some non-European things.

Of course, it would be nice if some civs knew how to use the stuff.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: December 13, 2009, 08:13:21 pm »

I think it would be perfectly alright if rubber trees were specific to certain spheres. (am I using that right?) If you had to contend with werewolves and zombies and chupacabras to get it, that would be okay.

Why would rubber trees be found near sinister creatures?

Of course, it would be nice if some civs knew how to use the stuff.

Well obviously the goblins should use non-European technology.  That's what Eurocentric fantasy is all about, right?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:15:06 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: December 13, 2009, 08:17:11 pm »

Why would rubber trees be found near sinister creatures?

Hmm why would sticky bouncy goo be associated with vial creatures? This should never be answered.

Anyhow as for uses for Rubber, which the Alchemist could deal with, it isn't too advanced. Balls of Pure Rubber are quite hard and painful to kick around (well unless they are small) and otherwise it doesn't change technology too much without the ability to mass produce.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: December 13, 2009, 08:19:47 pm »

Why?  The tree species present in an area should depend on the climate; if you happen to have a dwarf civ located in such a climate, they should be able to take appropriate advantage of the natural resources in their native surroundings.

it doesnt depend only on the climate, or the endemic ecosistems in australia would be very simillar to english, the thing is, i see dwarves as a nordic or germanic, they should have contact with the animals and plants that nords were in contact, and as far as i know, vikings reached north america and north africa, so elephants and lions are ok, but placing them in contact with potatoes and rubber trees is to much for me. yes i mod out most tropical animals and trees, i usually leave montain goats cuz they are so dwarven, and mod in pigs! i can't believe we have rubber trees but not pigs!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: December 13, 2009, 08:25:09 pm »

Well Pigs make sense... you either have boars or those mutant hybrid farming pigs.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: December 13, 2009, 08:27:03 pm »

Don't forget vulcanization; rubber isn't as amazing without it, and that wasn't invented until the 19th century.  Natural rubber is rather crude.

Natural rubber would be a VERY appropriate resource for the elves, and would compensate for their lack of metal nicely.  Also, you could conceivably use elven rubber lashings to build tree huts and the like without having to harm the tree in any way.  Its right up their alley, though collecting it does mean you must slice the bark of the trees.

Even if the dwarves had rubber, culturally it isn't really their thing.  Its all about leather and metal with them, and if the Elves made it, they would shy away from it even more.

...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: December 13, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »

Well Pigs make sense... you either have boars or those mutant hybrid farming pigs.

i guess we have pigs, but dwarves burry them face down on muddy caves and leave their tails sprouting out

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: December 13, 2009, 08:36:10 pm »

the thing is, i see dwarves as a nordic or germanic, they should have contact with the animals and plants that nords were in contact, and as far as i know, vikings reached north america and north africa, so elephants and lions are ok, but placing them in contact with potatoes and rubber trees is to much for me. yes i mod out most tropical animals and trees, i usually leave montain goats cuz they are so dwarven, and mod in pigs! i can't believe we have rubber trees but not pigs!!

So are you going to mod out black/brown dwarves from the next version, too?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: December 13, 2009, 08:38:41 pm »

A solution COULD be for some sort of tags for certain animals and trees to make sure they don't appear together in a single biome.

Though I sort of like Dwarf Fortresses "Small World" approach to everything.

Though I guess more could be done to make Forests and Rainforests, not to mention plains, Grasslands, and Savanahs... Unique

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: December 13, 2009, 08:49:47 pm »

I'm all for tropical stuff, makes the game more interesting.  And besides, the closest thing we have to actual dwarf humans, Pygmies, are almost invariably from the tropics.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: December 13, 2009, 09:25:43 pm »

So are you going to mod out black/brown dwarves from the next version, too?

are you going to call me a racist if i say yes?

but i'll probablly mod out any human colloured skin for dwarfs and replace them with stone gray scales. meh, i remember right, some folk tales refered to dwarves as dark skinned...or maybe dark haired... i don't care, i dont do it to be historically acurate, i do it because it ruins the mood for me

I'm all for tropical stuff, makes the game more interesting.  And besides, the closest thing we have to actual dwarf humans, Pygmies, are almost invariably from the tropics.
i disagree, the closest thing to human dwarves are midget bodybuilders
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:27:42 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 1065