Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632931 times)

Maelstrom_UK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • jk-digital.com: A lagoon of magic and mystery.
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8415 on: December 13, 2009, 09:45:00 am »

That's because I stayed up until 5:30PM, because I always thought I was almost done. ... when I woke up around 3:30AM today (the 13th)... and I'm going to bed now at the regular time (7AM) if I can.

Mr Toady. Your sleep patterns are a mystery to us all... But it sounds like you've been working flat-out! Loving the greeny colours on the dev list.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8416 on: December 13, 2009, 10:16:15 am »

40d# merge is awesome news!

Thank you to Baughn and Toady!

As to the screen resizing, will it leave the menu alone (or even better display more info), rather than shrinking it?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: December 13, 2009, 10:25:52 am »

As to the screen resizing, will it leave the menu alone (or even better display more info), rather than shrinking it?

Under what circumstances?  There are several restrictions on the menus right now:
1) A lot of them (including the main menu, shamefully enough) haven't been rewritten to make use of grids bigger than 80x25
2) The game can't display a grid smaller than 80x25, no matter what zoom level you're at

The chance of either of those changing in this release is pretty small.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:35:38 am by Footkerchief »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: December 13, 2009, 10:30:06 am »

That's because I stayed up until 5:30PM, because I always thought I was almost done. ... when I woke up around 3:30AM today (the 13th)... and I'm going to bed now at the regular time (7AM) if I can.

Mr Toady. Your sleep patterns are a mystery to us all... But it sounds like you've been working flat-out! Loving the greeny colours on the dev list.

Not really. It's the same general thing as mine.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: December 13, 2009, 11:34:00 am »

Whoa.

Whoa, whoa.  Holy crap.  I didn't realize this until just now, but whoa.  Since all the tissue templates are declared in the raws, and prepared versions of certain tissues can have unique adjectives like
chopped liver
, we can totally declare custom adjectives for reaction products!

This makes me so happy.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: December 13, 2009, 11:52:33 am »

we can totally declare custom adjectives for reaction products!

I don't know about that.  I'm curious how "chopped liver" was handled too, but I suspect it's hardcoded butchering behavior attached to a tissue tag, e.g. [CHOPPED_WHEN_BUTCHERED] or maybe parametrized like [BUTCHERED_ADJ:chopped].  I don't think we've had any indication that that adjective would be accessible in a reaction def.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:56:41 am by Footkerchief »

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: December 13, 2009, 12:07:16 pm »

i come back  to my favorite indie game site and find majestic fields of green! toady has been hella busy these last few months. cant wait for next year's release[/optimisticpessimism]
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: December 13, 2009, 12:16:24 pm »

BAY12YERS ARE BIG JERKS WITH LARGE HEARTS
Isn't a large heart easier to pierce with arrows? :-X

Silliness aside, I for one am glad that I'll finally see a new version come out since I started playing. ;D
From the sound of things, it'll be worth it too.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: December 13, 2009, 02:05:46 pm »

My roommate says members of heavy metal bands keep strange schedules.  Methinks the Toady One has most of them topped.
Or do you perhaps find the sunlight a bit... harsh?  As in "reduce your undead form to ash" kind of harsh?  Because if so, you should probably save yourself the hunting time and start soliciting donations of blood from the forum-goers.  I'm sure plenty would donate, though shipping might be a pain.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: December 13, 2009, 02:27:19 pm »

we can totally declare custom adjectives for reaction products!

I don't know about that.  I'm curious how "chopped liver" was handled too, but I suspect it's hardcoded butchering behavior attached to a tissue tag, e.g. [CHOPPED_WHEN_BUTCHERED] or maybe parametrized like [BUTCHERED_ADJ:chopped].  I don't think we've had any indication that that adjective would be accessible in a reaction def.
Yeah, it makes more sense to either have it hardcoded as an item type (chopped/prepared X) or be a tissue function. That still opens some neat reaction things. Potato chiops, anyone?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: December 13, 2009, 02:28:56 pm »

My roommate says members of heavy metal bands keep strange schedules.  Methinks the Toady One has most of them topped.
Or do you perhaps find the sunlight a bit... harsh?  As in "reduce your undead form to ash" kind of harsh?  Because if so, you should probably save yourself the hunting time and start soliciting donations of blood from the forum-goers.  I'm sure plenty would donate, though shipping might be a pain.

Oh come on, he's obviously just cave adapted and doesn't feel like vomiting all over the place. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: December 13, 2009, 02:58:07 pm »

Wait, are you saying we can have tree farms now? O_O

You mean the plant/tree merge I mentioned?  No, unfortunately.  I think it was mostly a save compatibility thing: "I unified the trees and shrubs raws (though they are still split for all intents and purposes when it comes to playing the game, so you can't start planting trees or anything like that at this early stage). The join will be handy for future additions [...]"

(also I'm amazed anyone actually read the raws I posted)

Thanks for this, Footkerchief. The full quote from that is:

1203. I unified the trees and shrubs raws (though they are still split for all intents and purposes when it comes to playing the game, so you can't start planting trees or anything like that at this early stage). The join will be handy for future additions, although if there are bugs with dwarves eating oak mushrooms or chopping down wild strawberry trees, it won't come as a surprise.

Now, I get that we're not trying to give Toady more work to put in before the release, but if those 'bugs' actually became true, it would be totally cool with me. Deforestation should be a lot more permanent (in terms of relevant years), multiple logs or multiple units of charcoal should result from it, and reforestation should be possible. Tree farms would be a great step forward.

The way I am interpreting that quote (from December 2008, where he predicts a Frebruary release he he he) is that the raws of trees and plants use the same tags. And perhaps there is a tag which says, "This is a tree that gets cut down by choppers," and one that says, "This is a plant that gets plucked by flowerpicker pansies". But to me, that would mean that there might be a creative combination of tags that the community can fiddle around with to make it possible to grow trees in a farm plot.

I doubt it though. A tree tile doesn't share space with buildings ever, while a farm plot is a building in this sense. So that leads me to a question:

What does the unification of plant and tree raws entail? Is there anything new that modders can do with trees and plants because of this?
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: December 13, 2009, 03:10:41 pm »

What does the unification of plant and tree raws entail? Is there anything new that modders can do with trees and plants because of this?

Here's the most direct quote I could find on that:

Quote from: Toady One
Well with what he said about unifying materiel raws it sounds like we would be able to chop down a fruit tree and mod it so if you shove it in a smelter you get "(10) Juicy apples"

I think you could probably do a kitchen reaction to make an edible item with the wood, but since plant items still go by the general race of the thing you'd have to use leaves or something like that.  I don't have a good item for fruit yet.  Though if you make the associated plant item to the tree edible you might be able to get away with it if the game still recognizes it's a tree, which I think it would.

Getting trees to grow from seeds won't work, unfortunately.  If you do use reactions to harvest extra stuff from logs, there are better tools for that now -- you can probably set up a single fruit-harvesting reaction that works for all the fruit-bearing trees, thanks to creature/plant/inorganic material lists and the reaction updates.  It would have a lot in common with the fish preservation stuff I posted earlier.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:18:32 pm by Footkerchief »

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8428 on: December 13, 2009, 03:28:03 pm »

Under what circumstances?  There are several restrictions on the menus right now:
1) A lot of them (including the main menu, shamefully enough) haven't been rewritten to make use of grids bigger than 80x25
2) The game can't display a grid smaller than 80x25, no matter what zoom level you're at

The chance of either of those changing in this release is pretty small.

When I zoom out (mac client), the menu writing shrinks, retaining the same tile size as the main screen (while still taking up 1/3 of the window). Makes it impossible to read the menu.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: December 13, 2009, 03:40:27 pm »

When I zoom out (mac client), the menu writing shrinks, retaining the same tile size as the main screen (while still taking up 1/3 of the window). Makes it impossible to read the menu.

Oh, so what you want is graphical tiles getting smaller while the writing/letters stay the same size?  Yeah, that won't be in this release, unfortunately.  Graphics and text are very entangled right now -- the game makes little to no distinction between them.  Once they're disentangled, we should have proper zooming, niceties like variable-width fonts, and freedom from pillars, levers and bags showing up in text.  It's technically a Presentation Arc thing, but it's also the cornerstone of "Full graphics support," which is standing at a very strong seventh place in the top 10 suggestions.  So it's possible we'll see a fix in the months following this release.
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 1065