Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632895 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8400 on: December 12, 2009, 03:10:52 pm »

So there are no skulls in adventure mode anymore? But, but, my skull collection!
I suppose they'd go back in when adventurer skills go in, but i am still saddened.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: December 12, 2009, 03:21:56 pm »

Fish cleaning also implies some kind of preservative process, such as drying, smoking or salting.  It would be cool if that was a separate process that required resources like heat or salt... that could be handled by a reaction, I think, if each fish had extra materials for the various preserved states.

Like this:
Spoiler: "raw" fish, teehee (click to show/hide)

So after adding the above stuff (including adding the new body detail plan to all preservable fish), you just need to add the custom workshop.  I think.  Oh, and I guess that custom fishery would need a FISH_CLEANING reaction too, so it could replace the useful functions of the current fishery.

Also, if you wanted finer control over which fish can be preserved in various ways, you could move the reaction class specifications from the FISH_CLEANED template to a SELECT_MATERIAL block inside the individual fishies.  Assuming that a SELECT_MATERIAL tag exists, which it really should.

Just realized that it would still just say "cod" instead of "salted cod."  If that goes by the material name, it would be easy to give the preserved fish materials custom names in the individual fishies, but if it goes by the creature name, that'd be hard to work around.  Hmm.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:56:15 pm by Footkerchief »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: December 12, 2009, 04:45:31 pm »

Fish cleaning also implies some kind of preservative process, such as drying, smoking or salting.  It would be cool if that was a separate process that required resources like heat or salt... that could be handled by a reaction, I think, if each fish had extra materials for the various preserved states.

This would be a good option to use for food in general, especially meat, especially if caravans eventually stop their bizarre habit of traveling for three months in order to trade strawberries, milk, and venison that should have long spoiled, and buying the same from you.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: December 12, 2009, 05:30:07 pm »

This would be a good option to use for food in general, especially meat, especially if caravans eventually stop their bizarre habit of traveling for three months in order to trade strawberries, milk, and venison that should have long spoiled, and buying the same from you.

All this will be addressed when toady does the food / farming push.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: December 12, 2009, 05:33:28 pm »

Yeah, meat preservation via reaction would be great.  It could run into the same issue as above though, if the MEAT item type gets its label (e.g. "cow meat") from the creature rather than the meat material.

I don't know whether you could prevent caravans from bringing raw meat.  I would guess that, when the game generates meat items for caravans, it looks for materials with the [MEAT] tag.  One could possibly remove that tag from the raw meat material and then add it to the preserved meat materials, but that might have side effects (depending on whether eating/cooking jobs go by the MEAT item type or the [MEAT] material tag).

All this will be addressed when toady does the food / farming push.

We know that, but if it can be hacked in sooner, it'd make a hella cool mod.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: December 12, 2009, 05:48:17 pm »

Wait, are you saying we can have tree farms now? O_O
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: December 12, 2009, 05:52:47 pm »

Wait, are you saying we can have tree farms now? O_O

You mean the plant/tree merge I mentioned?  No, unfortunately.  I think it was mostly a save compatibility thing: "I unified the trees and shrubs raws (though they are still split for all intents and purposes when it comes to playing the game, so you can't start planting trees or anything like that at this early stage). The join will be handy for future additions [...]"

(also I'm amazed anyone actually read the raws I posted)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: December 12, 2009, 06:03:06 pm »

You mean the plant/tree merge I mentioned?  No, unfortunately.  I think it was mostly a save compatibility thing: "I unified the trees and shrubs raws (though they are still split for all intents and purposes when it comes to playing the game, so you can't start planting trees or anything like that at this early stage). The join will be handy for future additions [...]"

Good Lord, was the revelation of the new Attributes really more than a year ago?  Really, more than a year...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: December 12, 2009, 06:08:22 pm »

One could possibly remove that tag from the raw meat material and then add it to the preserved meat materials, but that might have side effects (depending on whether eating/cooking jobs go by the MEAT item type or the [MEAT] material tag).
In the context of that caravan suggestion this might only be an unintended side effect, but I think it would be a cool idea in its own right. Removing the ability of Dwarves to eat uncooked/unprepared meat, alongside some new 'preserve meat' reactions, would be a cool flavor adjustment and -- like you said -- some really cool modding, especially maybe with other adjustments that would make food/booze more challenging without waiting for Toady to overhaul it himself.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: December 12, 2009, 06:37:05 pm »

In the context of that caravan suggestion this might only be an unintended side effect, but I think it would be a cool idea in its own right. Removing the ability of Dwarves to eat uncooked/unprepared meat, alongside some new 'preserve meat' reactions, would be a cool flavor adjustment and -- like you said -- some really cool modding, especially maybe with other adjustments that would make food/booze more challenging without waiting for Toady to overhaul it himself.

Yeah, that would be a desirable side effect, unless you were playing Goblin Fortress.  I was mostly concerned that removing [MEAT] could also make raw meat ineligible for cooking.

Raw/cooked meat is really just the tip of the iceberg.  A robust system for cultural food preferences/taboos will probably require some research, since real-world equivalents use such a wide variety of criteria.  You'd have to take into account ethics, religions, geography, the creature's digestive abilities, and god knows what else.

It would be cool for trade/caravans, though -- economic advantage is much more interesting as a gameplay mechanic when demand can also vary.  Like if you have a great trade relationship selling exotic subterranean meats to the humans, and then they have a revolution back home and the new leadership imposes vegetarianism.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:41:54 pm by Footkerchief »

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: December 12, 2009, 07:37:58 pm »

Wow. That list is sure looking green. I love you Toady.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8411 on: December 12, 2009, 08:52:24 pm »

Its looking like a green christmas, and for once I'm happy about it :)

That said, I'm sure it'll be mid jan release, just in time for classes to be started.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: December 12, 2009, 08:57:43 pm »

Will the butchery stuuf count as bloat 246?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: December 13, 2009, 12:30:12 am »

Looks like the 40d# merge IS going to happen.  That's worth an extra day or two, even just for the auto-resizing feature. 

Will the butchery stuuf count as bloat 246?

Seems possible, although that bloat mentions keeping organs intact for alchemy.  The chopped liver from the devlog wouldn't suffice for that.

# Bloat246, ORGAN RETENTION, (Future): Rather than just creating "chunks", butchery should keep many creature organs intact for cooking and alchemy

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: December 13, 2009, 07:27:57 am »

Mm. We're replacing the keyboard.. code, I'm cleaning up the graphics a bit, and adding a 2D/SDL mode for those people who just don't have working opengl (ATI, I'm looking at you).

Hopefully, that will be enough to make it work for everyone.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 1065