Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3625836 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8340 on: December 11, 2009, 10:59:15 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: December 11, 2009, 11:05:53 am »

the game
I lost thanks to you...
You should try out this other game that you can only lose. It's far more fun, and people won't hate you for playing it. It's called Dwarf Fotre-- wait... Something tells me you already know about it. :P
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8342 on: December 11, 2009, 11:13:21 am »

the game
I lost thanks to you...
You should try out this other game that you can only lose. It's far more fun, and people won't hate you for playing it. It's called Dwarf Fotre-- wait... Something tells me you already know about it. :P

You've just come up with the best marketing ever.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: December 11, 2009, 01:53:01 pm »

MORE underground, eh? I forsee a lot of innocent dwarves meeting horrible ends, due to my curiosity...

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8344 on: December 11, 2009, 02:11:10 pm »

the game
I lost thanks to you...

You've just come up with the best marketing ever.
Dwarf Fortress: A game you always lose, but when you do it's actually fun, unlike with that other game.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8345 on: December 11, 2009, 02:20:40 pm »

Also of great stories involving spelunking expeditions (I know we don't actually have rope ladders or any other climbing gear yet) sent to explore the depths. With tales of death, awe, and only one dwarf making it back alive.... barely.

Given that some of the titans will ooze stuff, the first sign we may see would be the slime (or whatever) trail left by the titan, or even its victims, and if its a webber, its web, rather than seeiing the titan itself.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8346 on: December 11, 2009, 02:22:29 pm »

Actually, I like that. Have the workshops take the stockpile(s) they need by burrow automatically or manually, path to them, and only update the path either by telling the workshop to redo the paths on some or all stockpiles, manually drawing a new path yourself (feature request, but it would be useful), or if the old path gets obstructed somehow. Of course, stubborn dwarves will probably refuse to use a new path, free-thinking dwarves will reject *your* path, and combat-oriented and/or swimmers and/or miners with enough determination might just go right through the obstruction.

Not only is it realistic, it also saves FPS and gives those personality modifiers a chance to actually do something meaningful. Of course, since the pathfinding itself isn't the big FPS hog, it probably won't save much FPS, and depending on your fortress and how many stockpiles you use, it might cripple your fortress's production capabilities. Of course, that's the price of progress.

Really, I just want to see the personality of the dwarves do more stuff.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8347 on: December 11, 2009, 02:31:42 pm »

I sometimes think that whatever pathfinding algorithm is used, it should only update its node graph or whatever the term for "collection of paths on a map" is, when the path is being used, and found invalid, and maybe at random intervals. For example, the dwarves always use a route from point A to point B. There's no need to update that if the landscape changes in the location, unless a dwarf wanders in there and says "hey! there's no path here!". In real life, you don't automagically know there's a traffic jam three blocks ahead of you, and only start planning alternate routes when you see that you're stuck. Applied here, the real-life principle may even save some CPU cycles. Maybe. I don't really know how this pathfinding stuff works.

If it would be possible to separate invader pathfinding into a different structure, it would be even more realistic. If the map is checked in smallish chunks, then the invading army would first have to make a beeline for the closest thing resembling your fort, then the next closest thing, and the next. It would only have the path data for the parts the invaders have set foot on, and it would force them to explore instead of just charging through your mazelike corridors like they've lived there all their life.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:35:23 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: December 11, 2009, 03:20:13 pm »

Also of great stories involving spelunking expeditions (I know we don't actually have rope ladders or any other climbing gear yet) sent to explore the depths. With tales of death, awe, and only one dwarf making it back alive.... barely.

Given that some of the titans will ooze stuff, the first sign we may see would be the slime (or whatever) trail left by the titan, or even its victims, and if its a webber, its web, rather than seeiing the titan itself.

I'd love to see creatures dragging off dwarves into the dark unexplored areas and bringing them to their young, or something. It'd be pretty awesome to send out a party after your legendary miner, only to find them cocooned up like in Alien, only they're in the process of being turned into a Purring Maggot.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: December 11, 2009, 03:22:53 pm »

Maybe workshops could have multiple behaviors?  Suppose at every season-change or once a "day" or whenever would be appropriate, each workshop does the elaborate pathfinding check to every individual stockpile set to use workshop-appropriate materials, and records the stockpiles in order of preference.

Then, when a job requires a material, the workshop checks each stockpile in order of proper distance for the material it needs without calculating any paths or running any algorithms beyond "what's the first suitable material in this stockpile?".  If there's nothing in the stockpiles, then it goes hunting the map using a more intensive method.

/not a computer scientist

...actually, not a bad idea.  When a dwarf does a job, and it is to a stockpile not already accessed by that workshop, the workshop stores a pointer to the pathing object.  Then subsequent dwarves can access the path to the stockpile they want from the workshop that they are doing the job for.  You can then make an optimized algorithm for searching stockpiles, since there are some general assumptions you can make about them (usually comparatively large and obstruction free).

I am actually reminded somewhat of ants, or at least of SimAnt...

How about this: dwarves needing materials will start with a random search; if they find what they're looking for, they pick it up, and leave a trail of pheremones job-conditional high-traffic designation leading back to the anthill workshop!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8350 on: December 11, 2009, 04:22:09 pm »

I like the idea of work related dwarven pheromones

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: December 11, 2009, 04:28:24 pm »

I am actually reminded somewhat of ants, or at least of SimAnt...

How about this: dwarves needing materials will start with a random search; if they find what they're looking for, they pick it up, and leave a trail of pheremones job-conditional high-traffic designation leading back to the anthill workshop!

They stole your idea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant_colony_optimization

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8352 on: December 11, 2009, 04:32:20 pm »

There's barely anything left on the list!  :D

We might be seeing a '09 release!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: December 11, 2009, 04:34:58 pm »

I'm still skeptical.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: December 11, 2009, 04:37:34 pm »

The forum activity sure is rising lately...  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 1065