Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3625282 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8265 on: December 09, 2009, 09:44:49 pm »

Even if you don't agree with Michael at least admit SOMETHING needs to be done about Eternal Suggestions.

Eternal Suggestions is a great tool that is bogged down by oddities to be polite about it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:46:25 pm by Neonivek »

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: December 09, 2009, 09:52:28 pm »

Toady, love the new burrows-restricted automation, little changes like this can make the experience of playing the game so much more enjoyable.  Now I can get a silk production facility up and running without it interfering with my cloth industry or requiring excessive micromanagement.

I was wondering, however, while you're on the subject of automation, could I make a teensy request?  Could an option be added to make smelters automatically spawn "melt item" jobs when melt-designated items exist?  If it's a trivial task to add, that is...  It would streamline another process that currently requires user oversight.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: December 09, 2009, 10:09:17 pm »

Toady, love the new burrows-restricted automation, little changes like this can make the experience of playing the game so much more enjoyable.  Now I can get a silk production facility up and running without it interfering with my cloth industry or requiring excessive micromanagement.

I was wondering, however, while you're on the subject of automation, could I make a teensy request?  Could an option be added to make smelters automatically spawn "melt item" jobs when melt-designated items exist?  If it's a trivial task to add, that is...  It would streamline another process that currently requires user oversight.
Option only. Presently(thnks to fractionbars) you want to melt everything at one smelter, or you multiply waste. (This needs fixing, imo, but that's another issue)- so one smelter on repeat has, in my forts, been about exactly enough to keep trade goods and the fourth iron ore processed.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: December 09, 2009, 10:20:45 pm »

Option only.

Yeah, the current auto-jobs are optional, so I expect the new ones will be too.  Except maybe the ones for custom workshops... maybe there's just a generic "Auto Reaction: On/Off" for that.

Even if you don't agree with Michael at least admit SOMETHING needs to be done about Eternal Suggestions.

Eternal Suggestions is a great tool that is bogged down by oddities to be polite about it.

He's not going to flush the entire list.  I don't see the big issue.  We've identified the relatively few that will become obsolete; those will get removed, pending review.  As for the others, and Michael's concerns about priorities shifting post-release:

Hopefully something like a dev log announcement and an announcement here will catch most people once the release comes up.  Since the releases after this one are going to figure in the top 10 suggestions and so on, I think the added emphasis should bring enough attention back here to get people to revote if their votes were dropped.

How bad would it be if the new script also meant a wiping of all votes and/or suggestions? I can probably avoid it, but it would help the new design if I could start completely anew.

Since the votes have gained some official importance for the next series of releases, I don't think the current votes should be purged unless they are saved in some way.  Of course, I could just do that, and use those as the list I'm working from while the new systems attract votes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:32:50 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: December 09, 2009, 10:23:34 pm »

those will get removed, pending review

I don't believe in washing the list. How far along is the actual method of reviewing and removing a eternal suggestion?

So far they seem to run on everyone censoring themselves.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8270 on: December 09, 2009, 11:25:33 pm »

WRT auto-melt, at least being able to queue melt tasks at the job manager would be nice. But yes, the partial bar thing is difficult. I suspect it will go away when we treat 1 bar as 10 physical objects, probably with improved hauling.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: December 09, 2009, 11:27:40 pm »

I don't believe in washing the list.
Would require the new version to wash anyway. ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: December 09, 2009, 11:31:16 pm »

Then Wash it, don't wash it. AHH!!!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: December 09, 2009, 11:32:44 pm »

SOAAAAP
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: December 09, 2009, 11:33:42 pm »

SOAAAAP

That's just great!

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: December 10, 2009, 12:01:59 am »

Terribly sorry 'bout this inquiry; I've been trying to read through the entire thread from the beginning, but 500 some pages is quite a lot.

Does anyone know if, anywhere in the thread, it's been mentioned if wearable/wieldable items will be able to use some form of tag to define what part is allowed to hold them?  Say, if I modded in a race with a [GRASP] tag on its mouth as well as its hands, that uses spears and daggers as weapons, would I be able to let them wield daggers in their mouth but spears could only be wielded in its hands?
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: December 10, 2009, 12:08:27 am »

Hasn't been addressed afaik, rather like, say, 3 or 4-handed weapons.
Tilesets

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: December 10, 2009, 12:25:19 am »

Other Side: Once stuff make it into the raws, this is easy for third parties to do.
I'm not sure what you're getting at, since Sean Mirrsen was already talking about making conditional logic available to modders.
Actually, I was talking about primary game logic, not customized script logic. Workshop A has an order that creates item 1 and requires item 2 to be present, but item 2 isn't available. There is a workshop B that can make item 2, so pause workshop A's order and place a new order in workshop B to make item 2. Iterate until either there is no way to obtain a required item or the original workshop A order is resolved.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: December 10, 2009, 12:52:39 am »

Oh, my mistake.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: December 10, 2009, 04:07:10 am »

12 things to release!
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 1065