Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635970 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8010 on: December 05, 2009, 10:29:43 pm »

When I said so I was thinking of a group of 100.

Though Elephants are a LOT easier to take care of in DF then they are in real life.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: December 05, 2009, 10:32:20 pm »

Toady, if it comes down to it, I'd prefer that when you're adjusting numbers of objects for game balance purpose, that you keep things proportional.  You could always make dwarves require a certain amount of food per meal, after all... and make kittens provide a tiny bit, with elephants an all those multiple chucks able to provide more towards that meal.

It's not like it's at ALL difficult to feed your dwarves at the moment. Increasing their monthly intake requirement wouldn't be a problem for the game. In fact, it might be just what we need.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: December 05, 2009, 10:34:19 pm »

Though Elephants are a LOT easier to take care of in DF then they are in real life.

Plus taking into account that dwarves eat about twice a season (I think), yea you could go indefinetly on a good sized herd of cattle once you get a pop boom going.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: December 05, 2009, 10:35:44 pm »

Toady, if it comes down to it, I'd prefer that when you're adjusting numbers of objects for game balance purpose, that you keep things proportional.  You could always make dwarves require a certain amount of food per meal, after all... and make kittens provide a tiny bit, with elephants an all those multiple chucks able to provide more towards that meal.

It's not like it's at ALL difficult to feed your dwarves at the moment. Increasing their monthly intake requirement wouldn't be a problem for the game. In fact, it might be just what we need.

Looks like it already IS proportional. I'm fairly certain the numbers on that screenshot aren't meant to imply that the late elephant has ten lungs.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: December 05, 2009, 11:50:47 pm »

At the moment, yes, they are. But when the new sizes are taken into consideration, and the fact that elephants are not only going to... dwarf the dwarves, they are going to use their size in attack calculations, it's going to be more difficult to take one down. I imagine just the thick skin, and lots of fatty tissue is going to make killing them a challenge in itself.

Until your hunter starts firing his machine gun crossbow anyway...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: December 05, 2009, 11:56:17 pm »

Real Pygmies have been hunting elephants since the damn of time, and they're not called pygmies for nothing.

Personally, I think every part of Dwarf Fortress' world resources are so out of whack that "game balance" shouldn't even be an issue until God-knows-when down the road if ever at all.  Make the elephants and their organs any size the mechanics consider realistic.  We as players are very adept at finding "game balance" on our own.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: December 06, 2009, 12:31:31 am »

Real Pygmies have been hunting elephants since the damn of time, and they're not called pygmies for nothing.

Personally, I think every part of Dwarf Fortress' world resources are so out of whack that "game balance" shouldn't even be an issue until God-knows-when down the road if ever at all.  Make the elephants and their organs any size the mechanics consider realistic.  We as players are very adept at finding "game balance" on our own.

I disagree; there should be some semblance of non-artificial balance (which is to say, balance that doesn't have to be enforced by player discipline) before the final version, as a large part of this extended alpha is for it to be playable.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: December 06, 2009, 12:43:10 am »

Hey, it's playable now.  There's strategies that work, and strategies that don't.  And to be perfectly honest, as much as I love the ethos of building a civilization on the industrial scale slaughter of cats, I think hunting elephants for food makes a lot more sense.  There's a reason we eat get food from where we get it and not other sources.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: December 06, 2009, 12:45:02 am »

If only Africa created an elephant breeding and slaughter industry.

Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea...

Gimmie a million dollars to start it up and I'll pay you back in 20 years plus interest.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: December 06, 2009, 12:45:36 am »

Anyhow as for reasons, well the main one now is a huge influx of butchered items. Add in that cooking can only multiply food (I think) and boom, one Elephant feeds your fortress for a year.

FYI, cooking never multiplies food. The amount that goes in is the amount that comes out.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: December 06, 2009, 03:20:07 am »

I'm just glad I'll never have to see any -Elephant prostate biscuits-

If only Africa created an elephant breeding and slaughter industry.

Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea...

Gimmie a million dollars to start it up and I'll pay you back in 20 years plus interest.

That happens in a game called Postal 2.
In the expansion, you get hired to...err...harvest them for cooking. With a scythe.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: December 06, 2009, 03:21:32 am »

cooking make food easier to store

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: December 06, 2009, 03:40:54 am »

Agreed.  Real balance will come when eating, cooking, nutrition, etc. finally get a non-placeholder implementation, and when the process of butchering gets as much attention as the potential results.  For now, balancing food is mostly a waste of time.

FYI, cooking never multiplies food. The amount that goes in is the amount that comes out.

He probably had that in mind because of the brew -> cook trick that can multiply 2 plump helmets into 10 biscuits or something.  I think.  But yeah, it wouldn't work for butchery products.  Not that cooking isn't hilariously broken anyway.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:56:51 am by Footkerchief »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: December 06, 2009, 04:08:21 am »

Seriously, I'm going to cure starvation in Africa by harnessing the power of their natural resources: Elephants. I just need to find a way to pen then, feed them and breed them in large numbers. Should be trivial.

I'm going through with this.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: December 06, 2009, 04:50:44 am »

Except, you know, elephants are kinda endangered species thanks to poachers, who rob them of ivory and leave 'em rotting. It is sad when ivory is worth more than all the meat an elephant produces.
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1065