Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635927 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7950 on: December 05, 2009, 01:01:25 pm »

It sucks there aren't butchery terms for all the organs.  All I've found are tripe for stomach, chitterlings for intestines, and fries for dangly-bits.

Sweetbreads is one name that always confuses me.  In my Fanny Farmer cookbook, there is a chapter called Sweetbreads, and you open it expecting to see old-school sugary bread treats, and instead are presented with recipes for boiled pancreas.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: December 05, 2009, 01:03:33 pm »

Actually, different skin amounts may be in. Just like cloth isn't used whole now, leather may be that way as well. If it isn't, it would be a logical addition.

I would think it'd be easier, as well as much more informative to look at, if "skin" was made as a size-determined stack like every other part.  Then when you tan it, it just makes a whole bunch of leather units.

Also, prepared elephant brain.  Yummy.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: December 05, 2009, 01:14:50 pm »

There is going to be a very creepy meal tonight.

The largest oddity for me to see on the list was that Nervous Tissue was extracted... I don't know if that is technically possible for that time period, or at least desirable.

As a suggestion: Allow Raw Sinew to be extracted and then woven into Sinew string. (Uhh that is time period appropriate right?)

Hmm maybe I should think this out some more...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: December 05, 2009, 01:17:22 pm »

Hmm, still just one 'skin' object, though. So I guess getting different amounts of leather per animal will have to wait for another release.
Actually, different skin amounts may be in. Just like cloth isn't used whole now, leather may be that way as well. If it isn't, it would be a logical addition.

It's not clear yet whether skin works that way or not.  The new system for cloth/thread amounts doesn't use stacks: "All cloth and thread items have associated lengths/areas now. At this point, the practical effect will be that one thread item can be used to suture many times, while the same thread item would be consumed entirely to make the typical cloth item. It'll also be used for bandages. Having clothing item production consume different amounts of cloth probably won't go in this time, but it's just a matter of putting in the numbers now."

If we have a creature with different types of skin(A soft fuzzy underbelly and a tough outside carapace) release different leather types when butchered and tanned?

As long as whoever's creating the raws remembers to change the leather properties as well as the skin properties, yes.  They're both added to standard creatures via the STANDARD_MATERIALS body detail plan, but the material templates can be selectively overridden inside the creature definition, so there's very little unnecessary duplication.

I would think it'd be easier, as well as much more informative to look at, if "skin" was made as a size-determined stack like every other part.  Then when you tan it, it just makes a whole bunch of leather units.

I think the main obstacle to using stacks is that they don't give you fine-grained control for jobs that use extremely small amounts of the item, like suturing.  Of course, if it displays the remaining length/area of the cloth item in the item name, it could end up looking and functioning like a stack of an unusually large size (large numerically, at least).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:27:22 pm by Footkerchief »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: December 05, 2009, 01:25:16 pm »

As a suggestion: Allow Raw Sinew to be extracted and then woven into Sinew string. (Uhh that is time period appropriate right?)

Toady did mention catgut at some point in a talk. Something about maybe needing to make animals eat stuff, to balance out all the things you could get out of them. I had a cursory look but couldn't find the quote, sorry.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: December 05, 2009, 01:27:22 pm »

This beautiful little tease gave me a fun idea... What if carnivores killed and ate dwarves, and to get the body back for burial you'd need to kill and butcher the animal?  ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: December 05, 2009, 01:27:51 pm »

Which is always unusual when you see a fox creating a whole cape

But you then turn a whole Elephant into a single boot

(though the most unusual is when you turn a small pebble into a whole Bed with artifacts)

Note: I made this two posts ago.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: December 05, 2009, 01:33:09 pm »

Toady did mention catgut at some point in a talk. Something about maybe needing to make animals eat stuff, to balance out all the things you could get out of them. I had a cursory look but couldn't find the quote, sorry.

Toady and Neonivek were talking about catgut earlier in this thread (I don't know about DF Talk):

Quote from: Neonivek
Any plans for catgut?

It has come up a few times now for its use in instruments and for sutures, and now that I have guts with their own material, it's something we can start to consider seriously.  Once a single animal can give you so many useful things, we might have to look at getting them eating back in the game as a proper trade off.

Catgut and sinew are both tough, fibrous materials.  The main difference, aside from what part of the animal they come from, seems to be that sinew is elastic and catgut isn't.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: December 05, 2009, 01:35:04 pm »

Soooo, we're to sliced sweetbreads...and chopped liver, the staple metaphorical what-am-I.

Ivory! Coral and amber look to be a ways off...

Rah rah rah.

*waits for sinew to be mass-produced for making the more-awesome siege engines*
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: December 05, 2009, 01:37:39 pm »

The Scary thing is that I have NO idea what Catgut is. Yes apperantly I was quoted in mentioning it.

Maybe I am developing retroactive amnesia
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:39:43 pm by Neonivek »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: December 05, 2009, 01:45:07 pm »

The Scary thing is that I have NO idea what Catgut is. Yes apperantly I was quoted in mentioning it.

Maybe I am developing retroactive amnesia

You think that's bad? I must have hallucinated hearing it instead of reading it.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: December 05, 2009, 02:06:03 pm »

*Stares in awe at new butchery screens.*
My fantasy of building an entire fortress almost entirely on unicorn-derived products (think sorta like the Plains Indians and buffalo) grows closer and closer to reality.  I wonder if using unicorn soap for construction will still be a possibility...
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: December 05, 2009, 02:12:44 pm »

Toady and Neonivek were talking about catgut earlier in this thread (I don't know about DF Talk):

Quote from: Neonivek
Any plans for catgut?

It has come up a few times now for its use in instruments and for sutures, and now that I have guts with their own material, it's something we can start to consider seriously.  Once a single animal can give you so many useful things, we might have to look at getting them eating back in the game as a proper trade off.
:'(
Any plans for catgut?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: December 05, 2009, 02:14:09 pm »

Hahaha, so it's just Lancensis that's going insane, then.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: December 05, 2009, 02:28:03 pm »

It sucks there aren't butchery terms for all the organs.

Pretty much anything that isn't bone or muscle can be called 'offal':

Offal is a culinary term used to refer to the entrails and internal organs of a butchered animal. The word does not refer to a particular list of organs, but includes most internal organs other than muscles or bones. People in some cultures shy away from offal as food, while others may make it everyday food or even delicacies that command a high price.
Offal not used directly for human or animal food is often processed in a rendering plant, producing material that is used for animal feed, fertilizer, or fuel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offal

Also, has anyone mentioned 'headcheese' for brains yet? I was wrong, headcheese isn't specifically the brains, but typically a mixture of the non-organ parts of the head with other types of offal, most often mixed together with some form of gelatin. Yummy.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:31:35 pm by Arkose »
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 1065