Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636123 times)

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7905 on: December 04, 2009, 06:27:31 am »

Magma-powered ethanol vaporizers might not be the safest things around.

On the other hand, dwarves like booze.  They also like waterfalls.  So, what about a recirculating, self-powered boozefalls?  Place it over a key hallway, and everyone stays permadrunk without quitting to take drink breaks.  Literally wandering around in an alcohol fog.  If only there was some way to designate a dumping zone for specified barrels of arbitrary fluid...

I too, was thinking how much more useful a Boozefall would be, rather than just plain water. It's like the difference of a water moat and a magma one.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7906 on: December 04, 2009, 08:21:24 am »

Magma-powered ethanol vaporizers might not be the safest things around.

On the other hand, dwarves like booze.  They also like waterfalls.  So, what about a recirculating, self-powered boozefalls?  Place it over a key hallway, and everyone stays permadrunk without quitting to take drink breaks.  Literally wandering around in an alcohol fog.  If only there was some way to designate a dumping zone for specified barrels of arbitrary fluid...

I too, was thinking how much more useful a Boozefall would be, rather than just plain water. It's like the difference of a water moat and a magma one.

Booze traps!

I can already see that ... small 3x3 reservoir on support, along with 1x1 magma ignition and over that one construction tile on support.

Top support gets triggered by plate, floor tile caveinsthough magma (magma mist), then through booze to seccond support, destrying it and releasing booze mist.

Booze Mist + Magma Mist = Ignited Booze Mist.

Code: [Select]

Floor:

..^..
.^I^.
..^..

L1:

#####
#~~~#
#~~~#
#~~~#
#####

L2:

+++++
+###+
+#~#+
+###+
+++++

L3:

.+++.
.+I+.
.+++.

L4:

..+..

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: December 04, 2009, 08:31:17 am »

So I was thinking that evil biomes could be made a bit more interesting.  I mean, where are zombie/skeletal creatures supposed to come from?  I think anything that dies should have a chance to be reanimated if you're in an evil biome.  Could use the same type of check as strange moods, and depending on the amount of decomposition, the creature could come back as undead or skeletal. 

Would add some extra fun!  Those unlucky dwarves who get struck down while sparring could get back up and seek revenge as zombies!  (Unless their bodies are buried or otherwise disposed of.)

Sorry if this topic's been talked about enough already, I haven't read through everything on the forums... yet.
Happy thought: killed an annoying person lately.
Unhappy thought: dealt with a dead annoying person lately.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: December 04, 2009, 10:11:58 am »

Booze traps!

... Why bother with all the mist?  Could you not set up some sort of pressure-plate or lever-based trap that dropped a full barrel of booze into a section of magma, causing a decently-sized explosion that, well-placed, would effectively serve as setting them up the bomb?

As in, say, a hallway over magma with occasional holes covered by grates or hatches, under another hallway with occasional barrels of booze set on grates or hatches.  At the pull of a lever (or press of a plate) the linked grates or hatches open, dropping the resting booze into waiting magma.  BAM.  Instant explosive booby (boozy?) trap.

I mean, I know we can't do it NOW, since we can't put stockpiles on hatches and grates, but since it wouldn't require the re-building of supports and dealing with cave-ins in general, it would be a more efficient, more easily-reset trap.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7909 on: December 04, 2009, 11:15:14 am »

I mean, I know we can't do it NOW, since we can't put stockpiles on hatches and grates, but since it wouldn't require the re-building of supports and dealing with cave-ins in general, it would be a more efficient, more easily-reset trap.

You also can't do it now because DF booze doesn't explode and never has.

As for booze rivers, boozefalls and other flowing booze, it's been heavily discussed, but Toady's said it would be a major performance issue to add more fluid types to the game.  It might still get implemented at some point, as it's necessary for rivers of blood and so on, but not anytime soon.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: December 04, 2009, 11:32:48 am »

Sigh, now I'll have to slaughter huge numbers of goblins to turn my rivers blood red.

This is not really a negative, is it?

Or, OR, you could farm goblins for blood by injuring them a little at a time and letting their blood drain into the upper reservoir for your blood-red waterfall.  Finding ways to repeatedly injure goblins to the point of bleeding but not dying sounds like Fun to me.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7911 on: December 04, 2009, 01:02:14 pm »

You also can't do it now because DF booze doesn't explode and never has.

As for booze rivers, boozefalls and other flowing booze, it's been heavily discussed, but Toady's said it would be a major performance issue to add more fluid types to the game.  It might still get implemented at some point, as it's necessary for rivers of blood and so on, but not anytime soon.
Well we might be able to do it like salinity. Just having an "alchoholic" property applied could open a whole can of worms but you kind of don't expect a pool of booze that's flowing all over the place to stay very clean.

Sigh, now I'll have to slaughter huge numbers of goblins to turn my rivers blood red.

This is not really a negative, is it?

Or, OR, you could farm goblins for blood by injuring them a little at a time and letting their blood drain into the upper reservoir for your blood-red waterfall.  Finding ways to repeatedly injure goblins to the point of bleeding but not dying sounds like Fun to me.
Walkway over the cistern lined with weak stabby traps ending with a cage trap. Install their cage open, they run and get caught at the end. Pretty standard torture setup as far as I've seen on these forums, aside from bloodying the water supply on purpose.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: December 04, 2009, 01:38:49 pm »

Blood Rivers is interesting to hear Toady speak about

Because it is one of the few things he actually noticably would love to do and the inflection in his voice really gives it away.

However at the same time he seems to indicate how much of an undertaking it is.

As a tip for Toady... A Dilusion system rather then an Oil and Water system may work better... though that may be exactly what he thought of doing.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: December 04, 2009, 02:04:10 pm »

As a tip for Toady... A Dilusion system rather then an Oil and Water system may work better... though that may be exactly what he thought of doing.

Actually, I'm 95% certain that dilution is significantly more difficult.  A quick and dirty oil-and-water setup would require an extra bit or two to track the fluid type, and a few inexpensive checks to ensure that they never occupy the same tile.  A dilution system requires you to track a concentration for each fluid type in the tile, and it would have to do extra temperature-like calculations to track how those concentrations change as the fluids mix.  And it would still have to fall back on oil-and-water if you got too many fluid types trying to mix at once, since you can only allocate so many concentration bits in the map structure, and a dynamic system (like the new splatters/contaminants) isn't feasible there.

That said, I'm not convinced the current fluid system couldn't be significantly optimized.  I hope Toady at least does a quick check with a code profiler when he gets to the pathfinding item on ESV.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: December 04, 2009, 02:10:15 pm »

A dilution system requires you to track a concentration for each fluid type in the tile

Well you could do it more magically or instantly. I should probably think about it some more.

Though in relative terms I was thinking that if you added poison to a tile in a river, then everything lower in that river is poisoned for a period of time... Basically treating bodies of liquids as one being rather then a series of tiles.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:15:41 pm by Neonivek »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: December 04, 2009, 04:16:54 pm »

though it would require tracking,
would dilution work as halving the 'dose' for every tile the contaminant is spread to? (and halving it at the source)
toxicity levels could be creature size dependent or inherent to a species resistance.

say initial contamination of a river from toxic blood leaking from a zombie 'corpse'. 7/7 contaminant at corpse site for as long as corpse contains soft tissue. contaminant spreads by passive dissipation untill 1/7 spread from such conceptration makes it dissapear. when flow is involved, appart from moving the corpse, the contaminant will move downstream in addition to being dissipated.
I assume smoke spreads in a similar manner. (EDIT: AND MIASMA)
tracking this in 9 directions may be a drain on CPU, but I assume it will be minimal compared to semi-immortal pets.
Contaminants could be kept to one per tile, dissipation of a higher value (say 3/7blood to 1/7mud) to a lower value contaminated tile, would replace it rather than tracking multiple contaminants per tile.

---

Way to go Toady1! You are really cleaning up those Remaining Items. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:18:31 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: December 04, 2009, 05:30:01 pm »

Wouldn't dilution be very similar to the way miasma spreads? The main difference would be that it can't spread upstream, or across Z-levels.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: December 04, 2009, 06:56:31 pm »

dissipation of a higher value (say 3/7blood to 1/7mud) to a lower value contaminated tile

This is sort of what I meant when I said "Oil and Water" so to speak.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: December 04, 2009, 07:17:19 pm »

yes.
miasma would be the preferred basecode to work from, with a few tweaks to accommodate the multiple pollutants etc.
and yes, dilution is dissipation without replenishment from a source.
N.B. like a block of salt in water will continue to add salt to water as long as it is below saturation (7/7).
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: December 04, 2009, 08:42:58 pm »

it's almost done it's almost done it's almost dooooone  ;D
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 1065