Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636206 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7860 on: December 03, 2009, 05:44:31 pm »

The hour before Jan 1st... without 40d# integration. ( :'( )
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: December 03, 2009, 05:55:30 pm »

Bread makes perfect sense

Ever heard of putting your sweat and blood into your cooking?

With Dwarves it is a bit literal.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: December 03, 2009, 06:13:39 pm »

also its strange how a kitchen can make a roast without any fire

You can build a Pitchblende kitchen, which kinda solves the problem of cooking without heat.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: December 03, 2009, 06:18:00 pm »

Btw, if I use pitchblende stones for my catapults, does it count as depleted uranium ammo?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: December 03, 2009, 06:24:00 pm »

15 items to go!
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: December 03, 2009, 06:47:21 pm »

The general calculation includes all the holidays and days off he's had all year. The 1.84 days per greenout would be far lower if I only took into account the days he was actually working on the game, so it all balances out  :)
Does not.
Quote from: Rainseeker link=topic=30026.msg899607#msg899607
I certainly hope he does!  That man works 7 days a week!
He...actually, only since 1 June 2009 thanks to the distant release. He usually balls them all up into an end-of-the-month thing and takes them off.
so, he worked 3d in anuary, 22 feb, 24 mar, 25 apr, ~21 may (sick), and then all since une.(30, 31, 31, 30,  31, 30, 3) minus a few meetups- 3?
That yields...278 days.
Yields 1.61d per green.
Assume the blue to be half. = 14.5 to go
Yields 23.3681159 working days 'til Dwarfmas = Dec 28, if he gets XMas off.
(15 yields 24.1ish, still this year.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: December 03, 2009, 07:04:57 pm »

Btw, if I use pitchblende stones for my catapults, does it count as depleted uranium ammo?
Yes, yes it does. Now how many versions before you can kill sieges with radiation...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: December 03, 2009, 07:31:37 pm »

Yes, yes it does. Now how many versions before you can kill sieges with radiation...
could mod in a "giant" weapon named after some radioactive material that injected poison into enemies. With a bunch of traps laid out that had single units then double and so on (exponential closer to the central point,) you could even sort of simulate proximity and give some radiation poisoning to the ones that got close to the lethal point but turned to run away, possibly even having them die some tiles away as the poison took it's effect.

If we end up with some way to assign poison effectiveness against races people could make the cockroach mod where they'd be resistant to your radiation trap setup (though lots of other bugs are considerably more resistant than roaches,) to be like having orcs walk over your traps and right into your base to kill everyone.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: December 03, 2009, 07:47:55 pm »

I imagine that pitchblende would be modded to work with strand extraction, then would be smelted into a poison that could coat weapons. I didn't think you could mod a weapon to automatically have a poison.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: December 03, 2009, 07:51:48 pm »

Strand extraction takes too long, just make it [SHARP].
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: December 03, 2009, 08:02:02 pm »

The general calculation includes all the holidays and days off he's had all year. The 1.84 days per greenout would be far lower if I only took into account the days he was actually working on the game, so it all balances out  :)
Does not.
Quote from: Rainseeker link=topic=30026.msg899607#msg899607
I certainly hope he does!  That man works 7 days a week!
He...actually, only since 1 June 2009 thanks to the distant release. He usually balls them all up into an end-of-the-month thing and takes them off.
so, he worked 3d in anuary, 22 feb, 24 mar, 25 apr, ~21 may (sick), and then all since une.(30, 31, 31, 30,  31, 30, 3) minus a few meetups- 3?
That yields...278 days.
Yields 1.61d per green.
Assume the blue to be half. = 14.5 to go
Yields 23.3681159 working days 'til Dwarfmas = Dec 28, if he gets XMas off.
(15 yields 24.1ish, still this year.)

You kind of proved me right here though. Toady has the podcast's to record, Christmas, new years and probably more busy days where he won't be working on DF. These days off have been typical in months past. You remove days from the past and add some post-calculation while I kept those days in and included them in the calculation. It's all the same thing.

I changed the calculation for the blue item in the 2nd one to account for the week he needs to finish up the underground, so you need to add about 6 days, making our predictions only a couple days apart.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: December 03, 2009, 08:15:23 pm »

To be honest, irradiating orcs before they get into my fortress does not exactly fill me with confidence.

Nah, because Pitchblende is a mixture of many different elements, like how hemaetite is iron and oxygen (and sulphur too? I can't remember). Also, uranium tends to be composed of different isotopes, mainly the fairly stable 238 isotope, and the much more radioactive 235.
When processing uranium, they crush it into powder turn into a fluoride compound and run it through thousands of centrifuges untill they have the "enriched" uranium 235 separated from the "depleted" 238. Since 238 doesn't have much going for it other than being good for smashing into other things and there's plenty left over, it gets made into bullets.
So anyway, sorry for massively overcomplicating what was probably just an idle query.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 08:41:24 pm by Lancensis »

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: December 03, 2009, 09:00:05 pm »

Strand extraction takes too long, just make it [SHARP].

So you can mod weapons to automatically have a poison when created? I assume someone can grab a quote, but I don't remember seeing that anywhere.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: December 03, 2009, 09:00:45 pm »

What's all the hassle calculating stuff? I'm happy enough to know it'll be out SOON! ;D

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7874 on: December 03, 2009, 09:12:16 pm »

I guess I'll be the party pooper to note that Toady did many lines of coding before he put up this thread with the remaining items, so that latest calculation is still off as well ;)

Either way, hope for really late december but I expect early Jan release, maybe early Feb at latest (major bugs).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:13:54 pm by KaelGotDwarves »
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 1065