Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636485 times)

platypus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7815 on: December 02, 2009, 11:22:49 pm »

Meh. I don't think DF can rightly be called a game until Toady implements ASCII phase diagrams, non-Newtonian fluids, Bose-Einstein condensates and superfluid helium, in a believable manner.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: December 02, 2009, 11:46:01 pm »

To be fair, I'd say some of the fluid behaviours we have currently are pretty non-newtonian. I mean, come on, if that's a linear force/acceleration response, I'll eat my hat.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7817 on: December 03, 2009, 01:57:30 am »

Quote from: ToadyOne
The final test was to inject molten iron into the starting dwarves as a blood contaminant and make sure that doesn't go well for them. On the second try, everybody melted immediately and I lost, which is good. On the first try, the contaminant cooled off too quickly and they just had a lot of iron sort of abstractly sitting inside of them, at least for a while (all blood contaminants degrade over time, since they are really supposed to be venoms etc. -- iron was just faster to pull up).

It reminds me of this guy. Apparently after Crassus' death the Parthians poured molten gold into his mouth as a symbol of his thirst for riches.

Maybe I'll mod my game so they farm gold, turn it into molten booze, and then they deliciously kill themselves by drinking it.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: December 03, 2009, 03:31:00 am »

It reminds me of this guy. Apparently after Crassus' death the Parthians poured molten gold into his mouth as a symbol of his thirst for riches.

Quote from: Parthians
We bring from the mountain
A tendril fresh-cut to the palace
A wonderful prey.

Stupid elves.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: December 03, 2009, 04:18:09 am »

17 things to go  ;D
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: December 03, 2009, 05:30:05 am »

17 things to go  ;D

YES! this release is soooooooo close I can almost feel it.  ;D

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: December 03, 2009, 07:14:04 am »

Meh. I don't think DF can rightly be called a game until Toady implements ASCII phase diagrams, non-Newtonian fluids, Bose-Einstein condensates and superfluid helium, in a believable manner.

I can see the gameplay questions forum now. "What does 'triple point' mean?" "Why is every surface in my fort coated with liquid helium?" "Why can my military run across my cornstarch moat, but my haulers sink and drown?"

And the suggestions forum would be demanding that coriolis effects be modeled for projectile paths.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: December 03, 2009, 09:31:59 am »

I can see the gameplay questions forum now. "What does 'triple point' mean?" "Why is every surface in my fort coated with liquid helium?" "Why can my military run across my cornstarch moat, but my haulers sink and drown?"

And the suggestions forum would be demanding that coriolis effects be modeled for projectile paths.

Also, the ability to slice bread.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: December 03, 2009, 09:59:58 am »

Hell, I'd settle for being able to BAKE bread.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: December 03, 2009, 10:23:17 am »

Thanks for the info Foot, but I'm still hoping Toady answers it.  It's more a question of gameplay than whether the engine can show overlapping features.  I'm worried about "gas" clouds covering the screen all the time.

I wouldn't mind stuff like fog in the morning or at night in adventure mode.

Still, I agree with you, as things are right now, 'gases' are completely opaque.

As far as the current devlog, Toady, you DO know that Haemoglobin, the protien that carries oxygen, uses iron, right? Although that could be the reason why it was faster to pull up since its already in the body in good amounts in the blood.
That's like sodium not reacting with water as an ion but exploding in it's neutral state. Iron is held in hemoglobin by six well positioned charged parts of proteins if I recall correctly so it's got to be an ion.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7825 on: December 03, 2009, 10:31:42 am »

Quote from: Toady One
It should work for rotting away any undead creature to a "skeleton". I haven't tested them, but "skeletal" insects should end up being hollow exoskeletal husks with this method.

If I read this correctly, the problem you're having is that when it tries to create a skeleton-version of a creature the skull is not longer attached to the body?

How about connecting them using ligaments, would that work (I believe ligament takes a long time to, er, decay)?  So you have a skeleten that compose of just bones and ligament, both of which won't rot.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7826 on: December 03, 2009, 10:38:26 am »

Now you're just being unreasonable.. :p

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7827 on: December 03, 2009, 10:55:17 am »

that's how i presentlly feed my dwarves: dwarven flour bread, plump helmet broth soup and various meats roasts

mod your item_food raw and micromanage your food production...also, increase crop growth time to 3000, for Fun

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7828 on: December 03, 2009, 11:05:06 am »

Well I want to be able to build a kitchen sink.  I mean, we need to use that soap for something, and hygiene is getting added in.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #7829 on: December 03, 2009, 11:09:18 am »

Well I want to be able to build a kitchen sink.  I mean, we need to use that soap for something, and hygiene is getting added in.

You want all that AND the kitchen sink???   :o
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 1065