Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636481 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7800 on: December 02, 2009, 08:55:17 pm »

Aye. I might mod in a spider that injects molten gold into dwarves. Which they will of course being lining up for.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: December 02, 2009, 09:06:35 pm »

Aye. I might mod in a spider that injects molten gold into dwarves. Which they will of course being lining up for.
The problem is, I'm pretty sure this won't cause the dwarves to leave salvageable gold upon their deaths.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: December 02, 2009, 09:20:23 pm »

The problem is, I'm pretty sure this won't cause the dwarves to leave salvageable gold upon their deaths.

Yeah, we have every indication that blood contaminants degrade into nothingness (although Lancensis was just joking about dwarves' love of gold, I think).  But if you had a creature that spat chunks of gold?  Money.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: December 02, 2009, 09:38:21 pm »

Toady was way ahead of you.

Quote from: The Devlog
# 01/04/2009: An unexpectedly irritating snowstorm stranded me up at my parents' place during my mom's birthday party. I did manage to get a half day in -- blood raws with states for the blood (liquid/gas/powder etc.), bleeding information, artery strikes, blood on the ground, fixing up some of the bp names, but I had to leave just before I tested the dwarf with the boiling gold blood.

#  01/05/2009: 926. Today was the day to go through all 300 occurrences of the old body part hitpoints and update, categorize or remove them. The boiling gold blood came out as gold dust first, because I forgot to transfer the states between creature morphs properly, but after that it came out as a cloud of gold gas properly. I'll have to do it again once I've updated temperature damage.

I beat Footkerchief, I beat Footkerchief...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: December 02, 2009, 09:41:29 pm »

The dwarves would probably turn a titan or forgotten one that oozes/bleeds/spits/whatevers gold into a diety. Collecting said gold would be another problem alltogether.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: December 02, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »

The dwarves would probably turn a titan or forgotten one that oozes/bleeds/spits/whatevers gold into a diety. Collecting said gold would be another problem alltogether.

Step 1:  Lock said creature in a room until the floor is covered with molten gold.

Step 2: Move the creature to a new room.

Step 3:  Flood the room full of molten gold with water.

Step 4:  Drain the water out of the room.

Step 5:  Collect the gold.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: December 02, 2009, 10:02:14 pm »

I don't think that would would until fluids and such get a proper re-write though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: December 02, 2009, 10:02:28 pm »

I beat Footkerchief, I beat Footkerchief...

It's always heartwarming to see other people take initiative.  Now excuse me while I cry myself to sleep.

Step 1:  Lock said creature in a room until the floor is covered with molten gold.

Step 2: Move the creature to a new room.

Step 3:  Flood the room full of molten gold with water.

Step 4:  Drain the water out of the room.

Step 5:  Collect the gold.

This might actually work.  I found this quote from Toady on using splatters as items:

If layers melt off, they turn into a puddle (or whatever) of their material.

Quote from: Chronas
Would [melted fat spatter] cool and harden into a usable substance, or would it be treated like a blood splatter and exist merely visually?

I haven't gotten to contaminant temperatures yet, but it would likely just cool into an unusable spatter on the creature.  If you have a heated pool of fat on the ground, and it's enough to generate an item, it would cool into a glob, but it might not be usable if it got contaminated from being on the ground in the first place.  If you have stockpiled fat which is melted and re-cooled, then it is probably fine, even if it might not be in real life.

I don't know what sort of contamination that would be, though, or why that would keep the glob from being usable.  Anyway, yeah, if you left the creature running around a small room for long enough, leaking molten gold on the floor, via either its blood, a glob-spitting attack, a skin secretion of molten gold, or a gaseous secretion of mist, although that last one's very iffy... yeah, I think it would work.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: December 02, 2009, 10:05:00 pm »

Has Toady commented on Dilusion yet?

For example imagine if a creature poisoned creatures by pumping them full of lead... it instead mixes it with water.

Though I guess that could be done with a low quantity Lead Powder injection

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: December 02, 2009, 10:05:11 pm »

We can render fat at kitchens. Maybe we can render gold at smelters?

It would be like farming Giant Cave Spider silk...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: December 02, 2009, 10:17:22 pm »

Has Toady commented on Dilusion yet?

For example imagine if a creature poisoned creatures by pumping them full of lead... it instead mixes it with water.

Though I guess that could be done with a low quantity Lead Powder injection

I haven't seen anything to indicate that this release will have mixtures at all, much less with varying concentrations, but there are some dev items that imply it:

# Req263, INAPPROPRIATE CONTAINERS, (Future): Some containers can hold too much. With certain mixes, the items should interact as they should, possibly ruining them.
# Req378, LACK OF FLUID MIXING IN CONTAINERS, (Future): It lets you have for instance "water" and "stagnant water" as distinct items in your flask, and you can also fill up your backpack with water without getting other objects wet and without leakage.
# Req472, MIXING LIQUID CONTAMINANTS, (Future): Liquid contaminants should mix so that you can't just act on one of them, assuming they overlap on the object in question.

This would probably apply to colloids of all types, or at least the liquid-y and powdery kinds.  Might require support for meta-materials composed of various amounts of actual materials.  Of course, then you have to decide what to do with alloys...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:20:37 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: December 02, 2009, 10:28:16 pm »

Hmm unless you can somehow liquidate things without changing their temperature or having them solidify that doesn't help tooo much... but then again everything is in flux and Toady isn't even halfway done Toxins.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: December 02, 2009, 10:48:23 pm »

Hmm unless you can somehow liquidate things without changing their temperature or having them solidify that doesn't help tooo much...

Doesn't help with the lead-in-water thing?  It would!  You can dissolve a solid powder in liquid.  Or in another powder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:26 pm »

It would work outside of injections and possibly a way to make "Run off" function

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: December 02, 2009, 11:04:16 pm »

A contaminant containing a nested contaminant? Yeah, that sounds plausible.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 1065