Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636609 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7770 on: December 02, 2009, 12:18:10 pm »

No, I think he's describing them as successful applications of the system.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: December 02, 2009, 12:18:24 pm »

If these "gasses" work like smoke/steam/mist/miasma/boiling materials do now, doesn't that mean that there's going to be a lot of gas flows obscuring the player's vision?  I know that work as a punishing effect of smoke and miasma, but it sounds like I'm going to be picking my way through dust clouds and steam anytime there's an unusual situation.  Has the visual effect of "gasses" been changed at all?

Toady mentioned this issue several times that I could find, most recently as a likely Presentation Arc improvement:

DF uses 24bit color (32 if you count alpha, which is supported by what's there, but not used), but you can only get at that through the creature bmps right now (though you can specify the core 16 colors in the init up to 24bit).  As more support is added, we'll figure out what we want to use the alpha channel for (smoke, miasma etc.).

There's also a related problem with water obscuring buildings etc., which has its own Req or Bloat.  I doubt any of it's been fixed this time, though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7772 on: December 02, 2009, 12:23:51 pm »

Only in the rarest of high-end games will you see steam or frost effects- but DF is the ONLY game where you might collect these things and possibly put them to use.

Hm... a bauxite chamber full of water, with pipes running to a cave river and grates above leading to your main entrance. Invaders walk over pressure plates that flood the chamber. Bwahaahahahah!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:14 pm »

Thanks for the info Foot, but I'm still hoping Toady answers it.  It's more a question of gameplay than whether the engine can show overlapping features.  I'm worried about "gas" clouds covering the screen all the time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: December 02, 2009, 12:36:09 pm »

Thanks for the info Foot, but I'm still hoping Toady answers it.  It's more a question of gameplay than whether the engine can show overlapping features.  I'm worried about "gas" clouds covering the screen all the time.

I wouldn't mind stuff like fog in the morning or at night in adventure mode.

Still, I agree with you, as things are right now, 'gases' are completely opaque.

As far as the current devlog, Toady, you DO know that Haemoglobin, the protien that carries oxygen, uses iron, right? Although that could be the reason why it was faster to pull up since its already in the body in good amounts in the blood.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: December 02, 2009, 12:43:00 pm »

As far as the current devlog, Toady, you DO know that Haemoglobin, the protien that carries oxygen, uses iron, right? Although that could be the reason why it was faster to pull up since its already in the body in good amounts in the blood.

By "faster to pull up" he meant it was sitting at the top of the material list or something.  I'm still not sure what you'd be getting at though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: December 02, 2009, 01:09:47 pm »

Fog would certainly be interesting. Though it doesn't need to enter the flows.

It would leave room for Poisonous Fogs that crawl over the land.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:53 pm »

As far as the current devlog, Toady, you DO know that Haemoglobin[sic], the protien[sic] that carries oxygen, uses iron, right?

While this is technically true, it doesn't actually imply that filling a person's veins with molten iron shouldn't kill them.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #7778 on: December 02, 2009, 01:38:12 pm »

As far as the current devlog, Toady, you DO know that Haemoglobin[sic], the protien[sic] that carries oxygen, uses iron, right?

While this is technically true, it doesn't actually imply that filling a person's veins with molten iron shouldn't kill them.

Wait, you guys don't walk around with molten iron in your veins?  Uh... I think I should go see a doctor.   :-X
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: December 02, 2009, 01:45:43 pm »

Well there IS Captain Ironblood...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Semmy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: December 02, 2009, 02:08:30 pm »

Hello all.
Im a firsttime poster on these forums altough ive been playing quite some time.
I have only recently started reading the forums and am glad to see the improvements that toady is working on.

I do however have 1 question wich maybe somebody can answer me.
Yes i have tried and search for it but im flooded with too much information or dont get the answer im really looking for.

What im wondering about are the sieges.
Atm its quite easy to turn the sieges and they arent really a threat to your fortress.
Dig a moat and your as safe as youll ever be.
By the time you cant turn sieges away your almost always selfsufficient and having your drawbridge up doenst really hurt you at all.
What im wondering is if the evil little buggers who are besieging you will have more ways of harrasing you behind your walls and if they will get ways to cross your moat destroy your walls etc. in the next update??

If somebody could answer this question for me thank you very much.
And sorry if it has been asked a kazillion times before but i couldnt really find a answer and i cant be arsed reading 500+ pages in this topic or click every of the 1000 topics that turn up with the search.

Thank you very much

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: December 02, 2009, 02:11:33 pm »

in the next update??

No Sieges arn't going to be improved in the next release. However improving sieges are however on the forefront of what is going to be worked on in the not so distant future.

At least if I remember correctly.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: December 02, 2009, 02:19:36 pm »

Wasn't there something recently about support going in for transparent tiles?  Maybe that was on the 40d16 branch?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: December 02, 2009, 02:21:38 pm »

What im wondering about are the sieges.
Atm its quite easy to turn the sieges and they arent really a threat to your fortress.
Dig a moat and your as safe as youll ever be.
By the time you cant turn sieges away your almost always selfsufficient and having your drawbridge up doenst really hurt you at all.
What im wondering is if the evil little buggers who are besieging you will have more ways of harrasing you behind your walls and if they will get ways to cross your moat destroy your walls etc. in the next update??

Not in the next update, no.  However, siege improvements are one of the three areas Toady's going to be focusing on after the next update (the other two are fleshing out Adventure Mode and working on the top 10 items from Eternal Suggestion Voting).  Toady recently discussed siege improvements on DF Talk, which is a podcast about DF's development.  You can download the podcast here (episode #2) or read the relevant part of the trasncript.

The next version will have lots more underground creatures attacking your fortress, although you'll still be able to repel them with the standard anti-siege tactics.

Wasn't there something recently about support going in for transparent tiles?  Maybe that was on the 40d16 branch?

Yeah, the 40d## versions use the PNG alpha layer instead of magenta.  The engine wasn't really updated to milk that feature, though -- it still just draws one tile at a time.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:25:04 pm by Footkerchief »

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: December 02, 2009, 02:43:22 pm »

Is it possible to have poisons make dwarves bleed arbitary substances?

Because if so, it would be pretty simple to make a deadly plague.
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 1065