Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636692 times)

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7680 on: December 01, 2009, 03:34:16 am »

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but keep in mind that even after every single item is greened out, there's still probably going to be some bugtesting and such going on at the end, so we shouldn't expect it to be out the same exact day the list becomes fully "done".

And even when it is released, a release of this magnitude will have serious bugs that slipped through testing. It's a basic fact of software development.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7681 on: December 01, 2009, 03:41:04 am »

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but keep in mind that even after every single item is greened out, there's still probably going to be some bugtesting and such going on at the end, so we shouldn't expect it to be out the same exact day the list becomes fully "done".

And even when it is released, a release of this magnitude will have serious bugs that slipped through testing. It's a basic fact of software development.

This is why I advocate nighly/weekly automatic builds & releases of dev version. Many eyes and whatnot.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: December 01, 2009, 03:55:12 am »

This is why I advocate nighly/weekly automatic builds & releases of dev version. Many eyes and whatnot.

I don't see that working out at all.  Any useful feedback would be lost in the noise of a hundred people reporting bugs that Toady already knows about.  It won't be useful for him to release until he's fixed enough bugs that the game-breaking bugs are no longer trivially easy to find.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:56:55 am by Footkerchief »

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: December 01, 2009, 03:57:19 am »

It's why I advocate starting as many community games as possible on release day, to make sure we get sufficient hilarity.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: December 01, 2009, 04:39:06 am »

I've certainly got some features I want to make once I've acquainted myself with the new material~
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7685 on: December 01, 2009, 07:43:11 am »

I don't see that working out at all.  Any useful feedback would be lost in the noise of a hundred people reporting bugs that Toady already knows about.  It won't be useful for him to release until he's fixed enough bugs that the game-breaking bugs are no longer trivially easy to find.

If his currently working code is that broken and he is aware of it (say, he is in middle of working on some feature) then he can discard this info for one week completely.

Community itself can keep track of closed bugs and retest with each new release - anytime he thinks he does not have any bugs, he can have reality check. From what i gather at dev_now, he commonly tests and fixes issues immediatelly, getting rid of many 'low hanging fruit' bugs, so I would not think there will be that many. If anything, it would be easy for him to ignore small reports and focus at bigger more lively and 'whiney' threads/reports. Just natural discussion about bug unfixed fro few weeks and resulting thread bumps will sort out tons of minors from majors/severes/criticals.

At least, we will know what to look for at true release day.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: December 01, 2009, 08:34:58 am »

o,,o ...a countdown avatar.

*runs for the hills*
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #7687 on: December 01, 2009, 09:25:43 am »

Over 5000? I need to add more money!
Christmas comes early for Toady!
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: December 01, 2009, 09:31:26 am »

Yep, December is the month where we see the other half of the success of the Donatothon. It is when we see if people were donating their december donations or not.

So who do you think is going to start the December "Give Toady a Merry Christmas" Donation-HOH-Thon?

Maelstrom_UK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • jk-digital.com: A lagoon of magic and mystery.
« Reply #7689 on: December 01, 2009, 09:58:25 am »

Congratulations on the donation total this month Toady, very well deserved! And well done for polishing off the squad feature list! Exciting stuff. :D

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: December 01, 2009, 10:06:27 am »

Quote from:  The Toady one
...the squad features I wanted to go in this time are in...

;D

That is all.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: December 01, 2009, 10:08:07 am »

I know what a greened-out list looks like, but I always have to look just to admire the greenness of the greened-out items.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: December 01, 2009, 10:31:41 am »

Like Kermit would say, it aint easy bein' green. But it's oh so sweet.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: December 01, 2009, 10:51:15 am »

If his currently working code is that broken and he is aware of it (say, he is in middle of working on some feature) then he can discard this info for one week completely.

Community itself can keep track of closed bugs and retest with each new release - anytime he thinks he does not have any bugs, he can have reality check. From what i gather at dev_now, he commonly tests and fixes issues immediatelly, getting rid of many 'low hanging fruit' bugs, so I would not think there will be that many. If anything, it would be easy for him to ignore small reports and focus at bigger more lively and 'whiney' threads/reports. Just natural discussion about bug unfixed fro few weeks and resulting thread bumps will sort out tons of minors from majors/severes/criticals.

At least, we will know what to look for at true release day.
You see, there's already this semi-frequent release we test that's been going on currently. Toady has a lot piled up for this next release so we haven't tested one of those in quite awhile but what has been going on is the graphics handling D# versions that a few other users have been so kind as to try and optimize.

You see very little new bug reporting and a whole lot of "my menus look scrambled" "I can't use this key in adventure mode" and "the mouse feature sticks." These were fine as the versions came along but but some problems can't be dealt with immediately and the system lacks the elegance to shut people up about them long enough to let useful information get high notice. If you've got the time to scan every post and then start asking people about anything they say that doesn't sound like something you've heard a thousand times it's workable but expecting Toady to do that and get much else done is just unrealistic. He already spends a lot of time involved with us.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: December 01, 2009, 10:58:33 am »

Your countdown avatar doesn't display single minutes properly- 7:4 hours?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 1065