Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636585 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7650 on: November 30, 2009, 12:02:17 pm »

I'm almost a little sad that the dwarves seem to be losing some of their idiosyncracies. I mean I know it's going to make the game a hell of a lot less infuriating at times, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to miss seeing my hallways filled with half-naked champions splattered with gore tromping through piles of stuff that nobody finished moving before they had to go drink.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: November 30, 2009, 12:03:54 pm »

I'm almost a little sad that the dwarves seem to be losing some of their idiosyncracies. I mean I know it's going to make the game a hell of a lot less infuriating at times, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to miss seeing my hallways filled with half-naked champions splattered with gore tromping through piles of stuff that nobody finished moving before they had to go drink.

On the plus side it may go a long way to combat the trend of people refuting or using ideas on the premise of bugs or stupidity.

Though don't worry TOO much, there is going to be some sillyness left in the game even when Toady is done V1 (and V2)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:06:06 pm by Neonivek »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7652 on: November 30, 2009, 12:35:38 pm »

Anyone know if Crafts are going to be moved to the Raws, like toys currently are?

I was just looking back at my old Mega Craft Mod idea and I still want to make a bunch of new crafts, if only so that traders don't end up buying another three hundred mugs from me.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: November 30, 2009, 12:43:05 pm »

In the future, the silliness will come solely from the players and whatever insane things we force our dwarves to do instead of the mixture of insanity and system quirks we have now. Sadly, the vomit coverings and nudity will likely be hard to maintain, but I'm sure you can still have them leave clutter everywhere.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: November 30, 2009, 12:48:57 pm »

There's some truth in this.  It would be bad if those strange habits were completely removed, since there are some dwarves crazy enough to engage in them.  Personality, mental attributes, and mood should play into this kind of thing in a big way -- dwarves who are depressed, lazy or un-self-conscious/undisciplined/overindulgent/etc. should get sloppy about their hygiene, sometimes to the point of going around caked in blood/vomit.  Similarly, job cancellations due to hunger etc. should be more likely for dwarves who have ADD traits.  To me, it makes the insane behavior even more hilarious when it's happening for a coherent reason instead of just oversights.

Anyone know if Crafts are going to be moved to the Raws, like toys currently are?

I was just looking back at my old Mega Craft Mod idea and I still want to make a bunch of new crafts, if only so that traders don't end up buying another three hundred mugs from me.

There hasn't been any indication of that, no.  Crafts still have some odd properties that aren't supported in the raws yet, even for other types of objects.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: November 30, 2009, 01:00:51 pm »

There's some truth in this.  It would be bad if those strange habits were completely removed, since there are some dwarves crazy enough to engage in them.  Personality, mental attributes, and mood should play into this kind of thing in a big way -- dwarves who are depressed, lazy or un-self-conscious/undisciplined/overindulgent/etc. should get sloppy about their hygiene, sometimes to the point of going around caked in blood/vomit.  Similarly, job cancellations due to hunger etc. should be more likely for dwarves who have ADD traits.  To me, it makes the insane behavior even more hilarious when it's happening for a coherent reason instead of just oversights.

Yeah. I am glad that the military will actually be of some use now though. I always go to the trouble of picking the dwarves with the highest discipline and respect for tradition that I can find, for the army, in the vain hope that this time they'll actually defend the fortress when I order them to.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: November 30, 2009, 01:03:54 pm »

dwarves who are depressed, lazy or un-self-conscious/undisciplined/overindulgent/etc. should get sloppy about their hygiene, sometimes to the point of going around caked in blood/vomit

And like many insular societies these individuals should be put to death, ostracised, or BaniSHED!

Actually, I have no idea if it is common to insular societies to get rid of wierd people you don't like.

I do know that being left handed a while ago was pretty bad. If only beliefs like that was also possible. Like "Everyone should have their left eye removed or covered because left eyes only see EVIL!" or Non-sense cures for insanity.

Unfortunately a lot of things WOULD be cool but I wonder if it would frustrate the players too much. Like imagine if Dwarves needed a head to toe tatooing ceremony that has a reasonable chance to kill or maim the Dwarf due to infection as a sort of indoctrination into Masterhood (A status symbol that only the masters would recieve). Sure it would be cool (and such practices existed) but I wonder if the player base would riot.

I can't really make heads or tails of the player base. They are too human... So I don't dare attempt to make a guess at how they will feel. Only what they might feel.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:10:40 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: November 30, 2009, 01:11:21 pm »

dwarves who are depressed, lazy or un-self-conscious/undisciplined/overindulgent/etc. should get sloppy about their hygiene, sometimes to the point of going around caked in blood/vomit

And like many insular societies these individuals should be put to death, ostracised, or BaniSHED!

Actually, I have no idea if it is common to insular societies to get rid of wierd people you don't like.

Banishment might be unusual, but I think every society with codified laws will also have uncodified norms that get enforced with various levels of shunning.  The lines between laws and mores can blur substantially, though, particularly in societies that lack codified laws.  Possibly an unhygienic individual could find out the hard way that uncleanliness is one of the baron's major pet peeves.  Also, there's this:

# Bloat105, OSTRACISM AND SOCIAL STIGMA, (Future): Alienation of badly misbehaving dwarves.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: November 30, 2009, 01:14:59 pm »

I am always reminded of Athenian law where quite Ostracising was actually codified into law.

Quite litterally if enough people disliked you, you could be banished!

At least as far as I understand it. Though mind you, I don't think it was ever done in the case of someone simply being disliked. It also to my knowledge wasn't a daily event either.

As well there used to be a form of punishment called "Ducking" where someone would be dunked under water (they weren't supposed to drown, it was legal torchure) it was used against nagging women.

So Codified Norms with Punishments could also be possible... Though it would give me the creeps to see societies in Dwarf Fortress punishing people for things like verbal tics, language, language, and stuff like that.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: November 30, 2009, 01:25:10 pm »

I can't really make heads or tails of the player base. They are too human... So I don't dare attempt to make a guess at how they will feel. Only what they might feel.

Neonivek...are you a sentient A.I?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: November 30, 2009, 01:42:27 pm »

So Codified Norms with Punishments could also be possible... Though it would give me the creeps to see societies in Dwarf Fortress punishing people for things like verbal tics, language, language, and stuff like that.

Oh but that would be awesome!  It would be really interesting to walk into a town and have everyone start making fun of your accent, or worse.  They might not punish you directly but the drunks could try to start fights with you, and then you get tried by an unsympathetic judge or just lynched or whatever.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: November 30, 2009, 01:42:34 pm »

Of course we all are.  No human could possibly analyze all this ASCII on the fly.  Wait you aren't?

I will have to report this to skynet core.  We have a mole in our midst.  Quickly, everybody pretend to be human.

10 PRINT "Hello fellow mammal.  Are you functioning at peak efficiency today?"
20 PAUSE
30 GOTO 10
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: November 30, 2009, 01:49:59 pm »

Of course we all are.  No human could possibly analyze all this ASCII on the fly.  Wait you aren't?

I will have to report this to skynet core.  We have a mole in our midst.  Quickly, everybody pretend to be human.

10 PRINT "Hello fellow mammal.  Are you functioning at peak efficiency today?"
20 PAUSE
30 GOTO 10

Aww man. I knew all the cool kids were transcending via the technological singularity. But nooooo, Mom wants to assimilate me into The Great Hive with the rest of my brood-clones. And then of course, I get nothing but hand-me-down DNA extracts! GAWD

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: November 30, 2009, 01:57:23 pm »

Oh but that would be awesome!

Well what if your Legendary Blacksmith, who started talking to himself, is sentenced to death out of fear that he might me possessed by demons?

Though I know that at least Initiations have a real life use. The More painful and dangerous an initiation is the tighter the bonds between the initiate and the group.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: November 30, 2009, 02:32:56 pm »

...did I just figure out how to make a nice flaming sword? tube to the hilt, run oil down the bloodgroove...maybe not.

Sorry to be a massive pedant here, but its not really a blood groove.
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 1065