Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636395 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7620 on: November 29, 2009, 06:03:19 pm »

For burns... from what I can tell, there are some parallels.  Blood supply gets cut off (due to baked-shut capillaries), cells die (apparently at temperatures above 160 F / 40 C, presumably because of denatured proteins), and necrosis causes the usual problems.

Yes, denatured proteins. 40C isn't high enough to boil the water away so the cell membrane would stay intact but lose the partial-crystal structure cells of various types build into it meaning disrupted chemical pathways and less controllable cell skeleton. That sucks for a cell but is no reason it shouldn't go back to it's usual functions if cooled (or even for the cell to not be able to adjust it's membrane back to the semi-crystal balance,) so this leaves the slightly more ambiguous death of wrecking cell systems to the point that the cell can't just churn out a fresh batch of proteins. Due to extremophiles we can safely say that DNA, polypeptides, and the really standard stuff shared by all life doesn't just fall apart at 40C which does just leave us with misfolded proteins either clogging up the system or actively chewing it up. Which ones and why probably varies quite a bit between species but that's basically true any time you're talking about proteins.

I have to say, I learnt about the properties of sodium as a metal by around the age of fourteen, so I'm kinda surprised by this subdiscussion. But then, I live in a country with an adequate public school system (lucky lucky).
It's possible to learn decent general science here but you basically have to want to learn it and do a lot more of the work yourself than normal people seem willing to.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:07:44 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7621 on: November 29, 2009, 08:06:58 pm »

Sugestion abaut the magma men to Taody: Have two layers of magma, with only the inner one being fixed temperature, that way there can be cool stuff.

I was thinking this, but in terms of an infinitly hot heart slowly leaking heat out into the magma, so you can freeze them solid with water, but they'll thaw out.

Also, as soon as they surface, they are lava men. Sad but true.

And, finally, 40C isn't really hot (unless its air temp...) . 40C=104F. 160 is 71C.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: November 29, 2009, 08:25:30 pm »

I would very much like Alkali metals in the game!

I just personally think it would be fun to strike into a vein of potassium/rubidium (if you can mine it, that is) and then set up a contraption to flood the fort, and turn the fortress into an emergency nuclear bomb.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: November 29, 2009, 08:28:24 pm »

It would be neat, but the fact that they're so reactive means you simply won't find them in nature. Well, obviously you'll find SALTS of them, but there's quite a big difference between hitting rock salt and hitting explosive soft dangermetal.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: November 29, 2009, 08:30:05 pm »

I man can dream.

That reminds me though, don't we already mine radioactive rocks? Will radiation sickness be implemented?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: November 29, 2009, 08:34:37 pm »

That reminds me though, don't we already mine radioactive rocks? Will radiation sickness be implemented?

Venom (last changed Aug 29)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not completely sure about radiation, but contact and inhale poisons are in.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: November 29, 2009, 08:40:03 pm »

I man can dream.

Kind of.  You could set up a long-term, low-level syndrome that results from the inhalation of pitchblende dust, for example.  However, the dust won't actually be generated unless you have a cave-in (there'll be more widespread use of dust later on).  Also, there's no support yet for getting poisoned by rays or whatever.

If you wanted to simulate pockets of radon gas in rock, you could mod in a poisonous "mineral" that vaporizes at room temperature.  You could make one copy of this mineral to occur in each major type of layer rock, and give it an identical name to the layer rock, so occasionally you'd dig into a limestone wall and the boulder would vaporize and give you "radiation poisoning."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: November 29, 2009, 09:38:24 pm »

I man can dream.

It's an interesting question: How radioactive IS most radioactive rock?

Even pitchblende usually radiates a relatively small amount.

However, consider radon. It's problematic in the real world because people's basements are sometimes built within granite, and granite tends to be high in uranium dioxide, which releases radon as a product of its decomposition. Radon is especially bad because you're inhaling the stuff and you're dealing with an area with low ventilation.

So, what does that say about dwarves who have half a fortress dug out into the stuff?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: November 29, 2009, 09:58:38 pm »

Oh man, now I want to find a way to simulate pockets of explosive gas that get ignited by sparks from mining. You can kind of do it for a single square, setting boiling point really low and specific heat high. That will cause the stone that is dropped to instantly boil and lower the temperature, freezing all those nearby. It's just not the same though :'(

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: November 29, 2009, 10:00:31 pm »

Unless it is a very nice candle... err I mean Sword!

Obviously the sword is made out of some sort of self-cooling wood like Maple or Oak
We must make candleswords.

...did I just figure out how to make a nice flaming sword? tube to the hilt, run oil down the bloodgroove...maybe not.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: November 29, 2009, 11:19:28 pm »

I man can dream.

It's an interesting question: How radioactive IS most radioactive rock?

Even pitchblende usually radiates a relatively small amount.

However, consider radon. It's problematic in the real world because people's basements are sometimes built within granite, and granite tends to be high in uranium dioxide, which releases radon as a product of its decomposition. Radon is especially bad because you're inhaling the stuff and you're dealing with an area with low ventilation.

So, what does that say about dwarves who have half a fortress dug out into the stuff?

Radon is dangerous because it is extremely dense, so it collects in basements - if it was similar in density to nitrogen, probably nobody would worry about it, as it would dissipate through passive gas exchange (as opposed to forced ventilation).  In a dwarven fortress, it would probably only collect at the very bottom layer.  So, just remember to put nobles' bedrooms at your fort bottom, and everything will be fine.

Using caged goblins to detect toxic gas buildups - now THAT would be fun.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: November 29, 2009, 11:22:50 pm »

I like your thinking Saber, you could really go places with ideas like that.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: November 29, 2009, 11:35:48 pm »

G-Flex; it's possible for species to develop tolerances to low levels of radioactivity, and I would figure that dwarves, being a primarily subterranean race, would have managed that.

That being said, Pitchblende is somewhat more radioactive than Granite...

Uraninite (Pitchblende) 157,788,157 Bq/kg 1
Granite 69.5 ± 12.7 Bq/kg 2

Please note, the activity for uraninite is the total actvity, the activity for the granite is only the alpha emissions. I'm assuming that a direct comparison is feasible as U, which is the most prevalent radioactve species there, decays via alpha emission. 

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: November 29, 2009, 11:59:23 pm »

Magma-men are filled with phlogiston, which keeps them burning.

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: November 30, 2009, 12:05:32 am »

Magma-men are filled with phlogiston, which keeps them burning.

Shouldn't that much (i.e., infinite) phlogiston make them light enough to fly?  Maybe they're just radioactive and in a sort of continual meltdown.  A uranium-based lifeform.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:07:24 am by Saber Cherry »
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 1065