Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636313 times)

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7500 on: November 27, 2009, 10:42:22 am »

Well if we want to be specific I believe there are creatures who even swim faster the the Cheetah

Maybe that's because a Cheetah doesn't swim that fast, does it?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: November 27, 2009, 10:45:19 am »

I wouldn't think they would be entirely dead. Especially if you want creatures who are capable of doing heat/firey/chilling attacks who don't do it all the time who doesn't shoot materials.

At least not dead forever.

"Maybe that's because a Cheetah doesn't swim that fast, does it?"

Opps I mean swim faster then the Cheetah can run.

Ill check the Falcon's Non-Diving speed.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: November 27, 2009, 10:45:46 am »

but seriously, will there be multi-rider mounts in the future? Can a mount mount a mount? If so, then my dream of a 4-story tall totem pole-style Rider on Rider on Rider on Rider attack will be that much closer!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: November 27, 2009, 10:49:44 am »

Here we go. The P.Falcon can fly 90 Miles Per Hour without Dive Bombing.

That is faster then the Cheetah's running speed.

Personally the reason Id think there would be two person mounts... but there is just something insane about having a TON of riders on a single mount with how the game functions EVEN IF the creature could carry a hundred riders.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: November 27, 2009, 11:08:19 am »

I wouldn't think they would be entirely dead. Especially if you want creatures who are capable of doing heat/firey/chilling attacks who don't do it all the time who doesn't shoot materials.

At least not dead forever.
Well, you'll still be able to do much/all of that in the next version from the look of it, but with materials and special attack tags rather than damage types. With the wounds rewrite, I would suspect that damage types as a whole no longer make much sense.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: November 27, 2009, 11:51:47 am »

The fastest animal is a blue whale dropped from orbit. Air resistance.

Bonus points of you can hit a helicopter with one.

GildedBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: November 27, 2009, 11:55:04 am »

First: At the people predicting a christmas or new years release. You need to keep in mind a few things: Software projects never get finished on time, under budget, and to the quality you would like, something always gives; the time required for integrating different systems and bug fixing are not very predictable and take longer the writing the things in the first place did. I'm not saying that it'll take years more before we see the release, Toady has been doing those things along the way, just that we're getting down to the point that all that is left if integration of all of the different things and making sure it works, that might take much longer then hoped for; and if you convince yourself that it'll be out by the end of the year you'll be disappointed when it isn't, but if you convince yourself that it won't be out by march then you'll be pleasantly surprised when it comes out new year's eve.

I'm not saying that it's impossible just that it is so very unlikely that it'll make it, and it's safer to assume that it won't. I know, you guys are saying "if everything goes well it'll be out by X" but even if you aren't getting your own hopes up, you're getting other people's hopes up who only noticed that somebody said "it'll be out by X".

Second: Who ever said that the cheetah was the fastest animal? it's the fastest land animal, and only the fastest sprinter on land, the fastest endurance runners are things like horses and antelope. (the kinds of things that cheetahs, and other big cats, prey on) Furthermore, land animals don't have anything on aquatic or flying animals. That's just a fact of physics, swimming and flying are more efficient movement methods, each time a land animal's foot hits the earth they lose energy. Swimming and flying don't have that issue, they can store up more energy each time they make an accelerating motion.

tldr: stop getting people's hopes up for early release dates and the cheetah is only the fastest animal with a sufficiently reduced set of animals for a particular definition of 'fastest'

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: November 27, 2009, 12:27:23 pm »

I think I saw somewhere in the forum a thread about health simulation, where people discussed how to accurately simulate health issues like poisoning, bleeding, organ failure... Could someone like me there, I can't find it anywhere? (yes I have tried the search option)

I'm asking this 'cause I think I could be of some help on this topic. I have some ideas on how to build an accurate framework for physiology with a small number of variables (not something overly complicated). I can explain further in a more suited thread, if you think it would be of any interest.

the fastest endurance runners are things like horses and antelope.

If you look at it this way, the best (not fastest, but most efficient) endurance runner might be the human. Horse is a good endurance runner, but have heat management issues. Push a horse too far, and it will die on the spot. Only a (trained) human can run 50+ km without having major problem. Major reason = baldness+sweat.

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: November 27, 2009, 01:06:03 pm »

the fastest endurance runners are things like horses and antelope.

If you look at it this way, the best (not fastest, but most efficient) endurance runner might be the human. Horse is a good endurance runner, but have heat management issues. Push a horse too far, and it will die on the spot. Only a (trained) human can run 50+ km without having major problem. Major reason = baldness+sweat.

Amazingly, humans can even hunt animals such as antilopes by following them until they are too exhausted to get away. It's called persistence hunting and you can even (so I've been told) hunt animals as big as moose this way, all without using any but the most primitive weapons.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: November 27, 2009, 01:13:32 pm »

I know we're all bored of eagles by now, but I just remembered I had this link lying around and figured people would enjoy it. Or at least be horrified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re644qgnCtw

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: November 27, 2009, 01:21:00 pm »

I know we're all bored of eagles by now, but I just remembered I had this link lying around and figured people would enjoy it. Or at least be horrified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re644qgnCtw

So eagles are bombers while falcons are fighters?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: November 27, 2009, 01:39:35 pm »

i'd say up at the neck with legs hooked under the wings where they meet the body, or some sort of saddle that you can grip with your legs. that goes around th neck and loops around the body behind and in front of the wings. though control might be a problem.

Wouldn't giant bird riding be better with a sort of laying position? You could be laying on birds back, between the wings, in some sort of harness armed with a crossbow.
Smaller air resistance, better weight distribution and less risk of falling down. Imagine eagle with a backpack, where the flyer lays down. Once the bird lands, it will be upright, so you could slide of to your feet. I think shooting would be easier too, as most birds keep their head at level or pointed down.

Where are you going to brace the crossbow though? A lot of them have quite a kick.

as far as control, im sure the bird would fly under it's own violition most of the time (while the rider is firing) giving the rider warning (probably by the rider reading it's movements) as to what it will do, when the rider isn't firing probably reigns, vocal commands could also be useful as a backup, though wouldn't be that reliable in the din of battle, perhaps a whistle that changes pitch with how hard you blow it? different pitches and combos would mean differnet things, just have it on a lanyard around the neck and hold it in your mouth during combat
Wind gets quite loud when you're going through the air fast enough for much lift.

Oh and there is a family of P.Falcons in the church next to my flat. I can enjoy the sight of pigeons being slaughtered on a daily basis, from my window. Cool.
You should put videos of that on youtube.

Here we go. The P.Falcon can fly 90 Miles Per Hour without Dive Bombing.

That is faster then the Cheetah's running speed.

Personally the reason Id think there would be two person mounts... but there is just something insane about having a TON of riders on a single mount with how the game functions EVEN IF the creature could carry a hundred riders.
We'd need multi-tile mounts. Otherwise you could just arm all of your civilians with crossbows and have them gatling gun down things the moment they stepped into sight (and I'm using gatling gun in relation to the usual speed dwarves run around.)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:42:52 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: November 27, 2009, 02:01:04 pm »

i'd say up at the neck with legs hooked under the wings where they meet the body, or some sort of saddle that you can grip with your legs. that goes around th neck and loops around the body behind and in front of the wings. though control might be a problem.

Wouldn't giant bird riding be better with a sort of laying position? You could be laying on birds back, between the wings, in some sort of harness armed with a crossbow.
Smaller air resistance, better weight distribution and less risk of falling down. Imagine eagle with a backpack, where the flyer lays down. Once the bird lands, it will be upright, so you could slide of to your feet. I think shooting would be easier too, as most birds keep their head at level or pointed down.

Where are you going to brace the crossbow though? A lot of them have quite a kick.
If you lie on the back of the bird, you could fire it against your shoulder much like modern firearms. loading may require a crossbow with one of those crank box type loaders, unless you are able to turn your back against the bird.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: November 27, 2009, 02:02:24 pm »

Maybe we can have saddles to make it easier?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: November 27, 2009, 03:00:34 pm »

Maybe we can have saddles to make it easier?

Id figure a Harness would make more sense for flying creatures. Id figure unless they are stable flyers you would need to be strapped in.
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 1065