Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636407 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7470 on: November 26, 2009, 07:12:18 pm »

Ohh my goodness there is soo much wrong with that it is a scientist's nightmare!

Though realistically speaking the elf likely would have been injured simply dismounting the Giant Eagle going many miles per hour (Id guess around 120 MPH) upside down.

Though that would be fairly entertaining to watch :P

Also I don't know if the Eagle would slice heads off with he talons. I'd think they would be graspers so to speak in that they attack with their claws by grabbing and/or raking
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:43:48 pm by Neonivek »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: November 26, 2009, 08:57:30 pm »

Also I don't know if the Eagle would slice heads off with he talons. I'd think they would be graspers so to speak in that they attack with their claws by grabbing and/or raking

Yeah. They tend to just plunge their talons into their prey's skull, or spine. I doubt they'd really be much good for fly-by attacks, since they'd just get the talons stuck, and tumble comically to the ground. They'd be pretty good at pouncing on an enemy, and glowering menacingly for a few seconds, before taking off again. Assuming the rider could convince them to stop eating their kill.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: November 26, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »

Ohh my goodness there is soo much wrong with that it is a scientist's nightmare!
Speaking as a scientist who is also a archer I would be happy to point out that a fantasy game is not reality... There are no elves, there are no giant eagles,no goblins and no dragons... Technically it's a scientists dream... However just to clear up the situation a little... 

Though realistically speaking the elf likely would have been injured simply dismounting the Giant Eagle going many miles per hour (Id guess around 120 MPH) upside down.
I didn't imagin the elf dismounting the Eagle while it was upside down or while it was moving that fast... But rather just after it grabbed the dwarf after its powerdive... So it would be briefly on (or at least close to) the ground... Kinda Like when you watch real birds of prey catch rabbits... So it starts off soaring on a thermal... Rolls over in the air, is briefly upside down, elf uses this time to pick a few targets and fire off an arrow or two... Eagle completes roll into a dive... Then for a moment after grabbing the dwarf the Eagle is on the ground, or close to it and has changed vector from straight down to up... And the elf hops off during that brief time... Having somehow avoided whiplash when the Eagle hit the Dwarf.
Though that would be fairly entertaining to watch :P
It would be fricking awesome
It's a legendary trained War Giant Eagle... With razor sharp steel talon spurs strapped on... I know they're not in game but so what...

Also sorry about bad spelling, formatting and grammar, I'm posting from my phone which is a little tricky. I'll clean up both posts when I get to a computer tomorrow. Also it's 2am here and the first post was made on the bus home from the pub and this second one was made after a short post-pub post-chinese takeaway "nap"...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:18:24 pm by kiffer.geo »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: November 26, 2009, 09:19:15 pm »

I would be happy to point out that a fantasy game is not reality

I support that I really do, I could have even started by saying the whole situation was impossible.

However DF is still somewhat centered in reality while still allowing for Epic and heroic action.

Speaking as a scientist who is also a archer

I probably should have added Equestrian to the list... or since I likely spelled it incorrectly a horseback rider.\

Though the other issue with Riding Eagles is where do you put your legs? As he on his back kneeling down? That would make it very hard to launch arrows and make spins particularly deadly.

Was he on the belly or clutched in its talons? That would make the spins crazy
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:38:05 pm by Neonivek »

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: November 26, 2009, 10:32:25 pm »

i'd say up at the neck with legs hooked under the wings where they meet the body, or some sort of saddle that you can grip with your legs. that goes around th neck and loops around the body behind and in front of the wings. though control might be a problem.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: November 26, 2009, 11:35:06 pm »

That would be "restraints"
The more the merrierer.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: November 26, 2009, 11:40:25 pm »

I don't think I am going to be wearing any straight jackets... They seem like nightmarish devices to me.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: November 27, 2009, 12:10:55 am »

I don't think I am going to be wearing any straight jackets... They seem like nightmarish devices to me.
Only for people without telekinesis.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: November 27, 2009, 01:19:52 am »

Yeah. They tend to just plunge their talons into their prey's skull, or spine. I doubt they'd really be much good for fly-by attacks, since they'd just get the talons stuck, and tumble comically to the ground. They'd be pretty good at pouncing on an enemy, and glowering menacingly for a few seconds, before taking off again. Assuming the rider could convince them to stop eating their kill.

Have you ever seen an eagle or hawk attack in real life? I have. If a person was in metal it's be OK, but if not... If it's a large or giant variety of those species (and you ignore the implications to flight) if it doesn't shred you to bits and drive it's beak into your skull they will indeed pick you up and drop you to your death then tear you apart. It's one of the reasons why small dogs are a bad bet where I grew up. (Cats do OK though.)

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #7479 on: November 27, 2009, 01:23:47 am »

I don't think I am going to be wearing any straitjackets... They seem like nightmarish devices to me.

Sigged!   :D
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: November 27, 2009, 03:51:14 am »

I don't think I am going to be wearing any straitjackets... They seem like nightmarish devices to me.

Sigged!   :D
Yayzor

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: November 27, 2009, 05:22:36 am »

with the new temp and layering (fat) values will temperature weapons now cause the appropriate effects? e.g. a heat bolt will set the victims clothes on fire and cause them to leave melted fat spatters?
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7482 on: November 27, 2009, 05:38:01 am »

with the new temp and layering (fat) values will temperature weapons now cause the appropriate effects? e.g. a heat bolt will set the victims clothes on fire and cause them to leave melted fat spatters?

More of ...with the new temp and layering (fat) values will temperature weapons now cause the appropriate effects? e.g. a heat bolt will set the victims clothes on fire and cause fat tissue also burn (once skin ruptures), turning victim into inverted candle?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: November 27, 2009, 05:38:01 am »

Found this in the dev log: "Individual tissue layers on body parts can sluff off or boil now, after suffering melting/boiling effects while remaining intact for a short time. They can also be damaged by heat/cold/burning as before. I still have to handle temperature effects for liquid and gaseous layers -- the only vanilla DF cases are things like magma-men, which wouldn't currently take damage because they have fixed temperatures. I'll either put that off or move them away from fixed temperatures to just enough homeothermy that they can stand being in caves but not out by glaciers, or something. The more relevant applications might be mods involving water creatures that could freeze or boil during regular game conditions. So, not sure if I'll get to that this time around. "

So hopefully yes, those damage types will do actual temperature damage now, although setting clothes on fire is more doubtful.  And that dev log entry is kind of old... I wouldn't be surprised if the heat/cold/burn damage types have since been removed entirely, since those are only used in the current version for burning demon bites, which could probably be handled now in the same way that a magma man will set you on fire by grabbing your arm.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: November 27, 2009, 05:53:04 am »

If layers and temperature exchange manage to work in an acceptable fashion next version, then I'll finally be able to find a better use for my meta-magical materials. Arrows made of stupendously hot metal are nice when they strike your enemy, but not so much if they bypass insulating gloves and set your archers on fire.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 1065