Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636686 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7425 on: November 25, 2009, 12:32:30 pm »

I count 20, 3 of them being blue, for a christmas release that gives him 20 days + 10 days of debugging.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: November 25, 2009, 01:52:07 pm »

If he works weekends...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: November 25, 2009, 01:57:49 pm »

Which he does.  Of course, I'm sure he'll take a little time off for the holidays.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: November 25, 2009, 03:34:59 pm »

Do any of the new military controlls cross over to Hunters? I know their ammo is handled in a similar way to squads, but can we give them patrols, so they stick to certain areas, or specific kill orders?

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: November 25, 2009, 04:25:43 pm »

I count 20, 3 of them being blue, for a christmas release that gives him 20 days + 10 days of debugging.

Here we are assuming we get exactly one item completed per day when we know this won't be the case and this ignores general testing, troubleshooting, and integrating the openGL code.  Unless Toady decides to cut 5 or 6 items and limit the scope of the remaining ones, based on Toady's last guesstimate, it would be a minor miracle to see a Christmas release.

Assuming squads finish exactly at the end of November.
7 days for the underground
2? days for Butchery/rot
4? days for "a few of those others" that "might take longer"
3? days for "lingering irritations with reactions"
3? days for "explore minor compat issues"
7? days for "any remaining tests"
2? days for "handle a few misc. bug reports and minor interface requests that have arisen"
3? days for 40d#

= 29 days as my best guess if nothing gets dropped.  Allowing for a one or two day break for Toady.

Personally, I am expecting an early-to-mid January release, as Toady has mentioned is not outside the realm of possibility in the Just Press Start interview(archive link, Tarn Adams Interview), listen in starting at about 47 minutes.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: November 25, 2009, 04:52:04 pm »

I like that I'm going to have some control over my hunter's ammunition use, but I was wondering...

If you don't have any of the type of ammunition assigned to your hunter, will he still chase down animals and beat them to death with his crossbow(or other assigned ranged weapon...) or will he have errors about not being able to find appropriate ammunition and stop hunting until his equipment is reassigned or more appropriate bolts created or bought?

All things considered, I would rather my hunter stopped hunting and throw an error message rather than run off without any ammo, start using ammo not assigned for hunting, or quietly decide not to work and start hanging out in the dining room or performing other assigned tasks...

Actually, I like the idea that I can have a hunter do some other tasks when he runs out of bolts... then you could build and assign him to a craftdorf shop set to make the type of ammo he uses on repeat; if he runs out of bolts, he stops hunting to make some more, then goes out and hunts with that...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: November 25, 2009, 04:58:04 pm »

All things considered, I would rather my hunter stopped hunting and throw an error message rather than run off without any ammo, start using ammo not assigned for hunting, or quietly decide not to work and start hanging out in the dining room or performing other assigned tasks...

That made me think, wouldnt it be cool if s/he did one of any of those things, depending on his/her personality?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: November 25, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »

That made me think, wouldnt it be cool if s/he did one of any of those things, depending on his/her personality?

Actually, yeah, that would be awesome.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: November 25, 2009, 05:33:19 pm »

^ I don't think so, because I was getting sieged in my 120+ years old fortress even. Perhaps Toady will give us a proper answer.  :)

A proper answer has been given before. I know I've answered the question before and I think Footkerchief has as well, if not Toady himself.

It refers to the possibility of consistent influx of underground critters, as opposed to the fixed amount you get in mountain/magma features now.

EDIT: Was trapped in past. Got better.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 07:57:46 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: November 25, 2009, 05:47:19 pm »

Good to see you finally escaped from that time vortex, G-Flex.

edit: where's Tormy been, anyway.  Hope he didn't die on vacation or something.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 05:50:14 pm by Footkerchief »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #7435 on: November 25, 2009, 08:35:57 pm »

Ooh, new features make my mouth water.

I can hardly wait to see it. No I can't.

I wonder what it would be like to have a whole fortress running smoothly,
with all problems scheduled out, and only the minor stuff remains to keep watch over.
Then you can focus all your attention on efficiency and Mega-Projects.
(Not that we don't skip to the later early anyways)

I work on my game all day, then come over and see what Toady's been doing.
I always feel outdone, but a part of something.

Umm... I don't do this often, but I'd like to link to my thread, since I just did some awesome new stuff,
and I need some new readers, so:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=42409.390

Sorry, thank you.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: November 25, 2009, 11:09:05 pm »

Heh the first post in this thread made suggestions look so boring.

Whats actually going in is infinitely awesome-er then 97% of suggestions thread topics.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: November 26, 2009, 02:07:30 am »

Question: I know alot of things are getting overhauled to make for better sieges and whathaveyou, but will attacks ever become more sporadic and unpredictable? In the current version, they're a tad predictable, such that one could easily prepare for them.

Also, can sieges ever become nonstop? Like, a goblin army just sending wave after wave and continually attacking and bringing in more reinforcements? You know, like an actual siege.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7438 on: November 26, 2009, 02:36:56 am »

= 29 days as my best guess if nothing gets dropped.  Allowing for a one or two day break for Toady.

Allrite, I am marking 25.12.2009 on my calendar as "DF day". Expect very pissed and ranty post at 26.12.2009 00:00:01.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: November 26, 2009, 03:01:09 am »

Allrite, I am marking 25.12.2009 on my calendar as "DF day". Expect very pissed and ranty post at 26.12.2009 00:00:01.

Note: My guess was based on the assumption that squads finish exactly on time and that count of 29 days starts at the first of December with Toady taking two days off for Christmas(so 5 days in November + 2 days off in December + 29 work days in December = 37 36 days from this writting).  So your counter should read as due 31.12.2009 and would basically celebrate the new release with the new year.  This is assuming what I think are fairly optimistic numbers for some of the items and total guesses for others are relatively accurate.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 04:21:23 am by PencilinHand »
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 1065