Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636694 times)

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7410 on: November 25, 2009, 02:21:03 am »

Don't jinx us.  Thanksgiving is this week.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: November 25, 2009, 02:38:18 am »

Do building destroyers go out of their way to destroy supports? If so, then you might want to reprogram them so they don't... afterall, if an invading force comes in, destroys the first support it comes across and is killed from the resulting cave-in, it'd be kind've silly.

Well, considering that a cave-in is on average more likely to hurt the player (who's trapped in the environment of the map) than a single individual of a race of creatures that spawn infinitely with the sole purpose of inflicting damage on the player, it's probably a worthy trade-off.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: November 25, 2009, 02:45:25 am »

Do building destroyers go out of their way to destroy supports? If so, then you might want to reprogram them so they don't... afterall, if an invading force comes in, destroys the first support it comes across and is killed from the resulting cave-in, it'd be kind've silly.

and is killed from the resulting cave-in, it'd be kind've silly.

it'd be kind've silly.

kind've

No.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: November 25, 2009, 03:00:20 am »

Are you saying it wouldn't be silly, or it'd DEFINITELY be silly?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: November 25, 2009, 03:02:35 am »

I'm definitely sure he definitely means definitely silly.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: November 25, 2009, 03:04:57 am »

He is being a grammar nazi.  You should have written "kind of" rather than "kind've" (or kind have).

On a more on-topic point, goblin or kobold saboteurs who go around identifying such vulnerable supports to destroy perhaps as a precursor to invasion might be quite interesting. Frustrating too, but fun.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: November 25, 2009, 03:16:19 am »

He is being a grammar nazi.  You should have written "kind of" rather than "kind've" (or kind have).

This is funny, because the usual mistake is the opposite.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: November 25, 2009, 04:06:35 am »

I don't remember there being any piles of rocks in the natural caves I've been in.  They're usually formed by erosion from underground water sources, aren't they?

Tell my ankles that, whenever I go into Ape Caves...ow...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: November 25, 2009, 06:13:48 am »

Toady is really doing a good job greening out the tasks. I don't know how he can work that fast.

I'm hoping a new release for christmas, or new year (by end of december likely). Do you guys think this is feasible, or am I being overly optimistic?

I've read Toady say that after this release he will likely have to use a lot of time fixing new bugs created by this version, but is it common knowledge what he will plan to work on after that? Is it some big arc thing, or smaller scale work, and what about? (just curious)
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: November 25, 2009, 06:27:50 am »

If I were Footkerchief I'd have a couple of big ol quotes for you, but I'm not sure where they are.

I think a release this year is both feasible and at least somewhat optimistic.

The central problem with the rest of the stuff on the list is, according to Toady, that it could go either very smoothly or very badly. So my own speculation is that he's leaning towards an overestimation of the time it'll take, and there's at least an optimistic chance that it'll be out by christmas.

He'll be working on the army arc next - improved sieges, formations and suchlike - and probably some caravan arc stuff as well (introducing the movement of caravans/immigrants/armies on the world map is key to the army arc as well). He's said he can keep on going back to the underground, so I'd expect some ongoing changes there too.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_next.html
I'm not sure what the word is on the postponed items in the list. It may be that he addresses those once the release is out.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: November 25, 2009, 07:56:42 am »

He'll be working on the army arc next - improved sieges, formations and suchlike - and probably some caravan arc stuff as well

Is there any chance of smaller siege weapons? Some sort of light ballista, that could be carried to location, assembled there and fired towards enemy like a overpowered crossbow? Or a small catapult firing stones the size of humans fist in similar manner?

If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: November 25, 2009, 10:30:57 am »

I've read Toady say that after this release he will likely have to use a lot of time fixing new bugs created by this version, but is it common knowledge what he will plan to work on after that? Is it some big arc thing, or smaller scale work, and what about? (just curious)

I seem to recall that Toady said the next release (the one after this one) would be devoted to the top ten(-ish) items on the Eternal Suggestion List.  I can't find the exact quote at the moment, but I'm sure Footkerchief has it in his databanks.  :)

Edit: The next major release after he's spent some time doing bug-fixes, that is.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: November 25, 2009, 10:46:38 am »

This should be the most recent quote on what Toady wants to do next.

Quote from: Kaiser Reinhard
Say, Toady, in which version do you expect to be doing an update for adventure mode? I really want to have my adventurer spend time fishing and gathering near shelters built all around the world.

Also, with all the combat updates, does this mean an entirely new combat system will be made, and arrows/bolts won't be as deadly anymore?

After this release, the next series of shorter releases will be made up of, in no set order:
1) Improved sieges against your fortress
2) Adventurer skills/entity stuff, per the dev next stuff
3) Eternal suggestions voting stuff
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: November 25, 2009, 11:16:45 am »

Yeah, the one I was thinking of was older.  Thanks, Knight Otu!

-Dame
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: November 25, 2009, 11:36:29 am »

He'll probably try to green out some elements of Dev_next too.
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 1065