Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636682 times)

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7395 on: November 24, 2009, 09:44:11 pm »

I've seen mention of underground screenshots before but I have yet to see them. Could somebody give me a date on the devlog?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Nemoricus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: November 24, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »

4/18/09 has pictures of rock layers. This may or may not be what you are looking for.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: November 24, 2009, 10:12:10 pm »

It may have been mentioned already, but will a dwarfs like and dislikes affect their ability to learn and/or teach with those items? IE: will a dwarf who likes swords be a better swordman and learn or teach swordsdwarfmanship better? Will a dwarf who likes dog meat be a better dog meat chef? Or will it only affect their moods from being around or owning that particular item?
[enter Footkercheif, stage right]

I got nothin useful, unfortunately.  I don't think anything along the lines of preference "boosting" skill has been mentioned, although it will make attachment more likely, as Lancensis mentioned.  The dev log didn't mention anything about preference/attachment affecting mood, but Toady had been positive about that idea in the past, in the form of dwarves being angry if they had to give up their favorite weapon etc.

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: November 24, 2009, 10:26:24 pm »

Are there any plans to do anything interesting with the preferences beyond an individual level? Could dwarves develop preferences for the equipment (especially weapons) of their recently deceased friends, or anything like that?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: November 24, 2009, 10:33:18 pm »

Goodness I know Footkerchief is amazing but goodness you guys arn't going to wear him out... your going to erode him.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: November 24, 2009, 10:47:22 pm »

Nah, it's good fun.  Answering questions is a good excuse to go back and brush up on stuff.

Tonin

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [NO_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: November 24, 2009, 10:55:55 pm »

By the way, here's how I would handle cave in rules.  Collapse any tile more than x spaces from a wall.  Say you have cave ins for any tile more than 2 tiles from a wall (it should be a larger number than this, this is for demonstration purposes).

Starting cave in vertical cross section looks like this, with X representing rock and H representing unstable rock about to fall (spoilered for length):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've implemented a system similar to this is a small demo program I did a year or two ago. It works quite well for simulating ground collapse in a tile based way. You would probably need some extra code to check that the other side of the arch actually reaches the ground though, otherwise you can end up with some very odd under cut cliffs:

XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXX
XXX
X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I think something like this would strike a good balance for realism vs playability, and is relatively fast / simple to compute as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: November 24, 2009, 10:57:45 pm »

It took me a while to realise but I am pretty sure why Dwarves are allowed to move through supports.

Because otherwise they would have just been an odd wall.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: November 24, 2009, 11:00:58 pm »

It took me a while to realise but I am pretty sure why Dwarves are allowed to move through supports.

You can rig supports to collapse, you can't do this with walls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: November 24, 2009, 11:02:00 pm »

You can rig supports to collapse, you can't do this with walls.

That too, but that is a much less interesting answer.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: November 24, 2009, 11:03:43 pm »

Do building destroyers go out of their way to destroy supports? If so, then you might want to reprogram them so they don't... afterall, if an invading force comes in, destroys the first support it comes across and is killed from the resulting cave-in, it'd be kind've silly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: November 24, 2009, 11:06:34 pm »

Do building destroyers go out of their way to destroy supports? If so, then you might want to reprogram them so they don't... afterall, if an invading force comes in, destroys the first support it comes across and is killed from the resulting cave-in, it'd be kind've silly.

I guess that is a good reason to build multiple supports rather then the bare minimum

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: November 25, 2009, 12:01:03 am »

If we're talking cave ins, may I suggest people read this thread? My idea at the start wasn't too grand, but it starts to get interesting later on, especially once Squashmonster gets into it.

Incidentally;
Toady, I know cave-ins are not gonna happen for this release, but do you have any rough idea when you are planning on getting around to it?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: November 25, 2009, 12:28:01 am »

Thanks for the link, that's just what i was looking for.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: November 25, 2009, 02:17:55 am »

Wow, we've been spoiled this month.. so far Toady has a dev update for every day :D
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 1065