Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637011 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7320 on: November 23, 2009, 11:59:23 am »

@Quatch: today's devlog mentions a third personality effect on training, in case you didn't see it.  "Dwarves that are assigned to squads can now go off and train in their free time, at least if they have any self-discipline at all (and any ambition or any sense of duty)."

Sounds like the Filipino art of Kina Mutai (biting & eye gouging), demonstrated in conjunction with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu by Paul Vunak in an unintentionally hilarious video.

Haha wow, that's... special.

How long after the release of this update will it take for the Mac version to be released?
Is it just a matter of exchanging the .exe file (and assorted other PC-only files) for an Application file?
Or is there more to it then that?

If the 40d## stuff gets merged in, as is planned, it'll probably get released alongside the other versions.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:02:21 pm by Footkerchief »

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: November 23, 2009, 12:46:34 pm »

Crossbows are COOL!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: November 23, 2009, 12:51:09 pm »

Crossbows are COOL!

Well there is a reason why King Richard the Lionheart wanted them outlawed.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: November 23, 2009, 03:07:05 pm »

I always thought Headbutts were more appropriate for dwarves.

Well at least I can see more reasons for this then the increasingly infuriating reason "Because Dwarves are awsome/Insane!".

I can take jokes, it is when people forget it is a joke that I get mad!

Anyhow yeah I can picture Dwarves having a very thick bone structure to dull impacts from falling rocks.

Huh? I just figured they were at the perfect height to headbutt their enemies in the groin.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: November 23, 2009, 03:11:23 pm »

Neonivek just likes to rant about that whenever he thinks people are suggesting dwarves do something just because it's awesome. Even when they're not.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: November 23, 2009, 03:17:13 pm »

Be nice.  This isn't the thread to start a slapfight in, not to suggest that you should do that in another thread either.  If you feel like he misunderstood someone's intent, address that misunderstanding directly.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: November 23, 2009, 03:22:38 pm »

A slapfight? I'm just making an observation. I doubt he'd be insulted so easily and if he does, he really shouldn't.

He has a point, I've just noticed that he brings it up at odd times.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: November 23, 2009, 05:17:44 pm »

I hope trees drop multiple units of wood in the coming update.  I find the fact that making above-ground housing out of big granite chunks is easier than construction with wood is a bit too unrealistic, even in heavily forested areas. 

I think sooner or later, wooden constructions should be vulnerable to fire and magma (but also be easier to build with than stone).  Perhaps make stone constructions require multiple units of stone. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: November 23, 2009, 05:29:06 pm »

Yeah there are two reasons why I bring it up at odd times
1) I often argue with people who arn't there (Bad habit)
2) I am moody

Anyhow that is all I am going to say on that subject. There is probably more too it but I don't possess any further insight into myself, I could even be wrong.

As for Trees dropping multiple wood. Would you also suggest that wood grow more slowly?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: November 23, 2009, 05:31:36 pm »

I hope trees drop multiple units of wood in the coming update.  I find the fact that making above-ground housing out of big granite chunks is easier than construction with wood is a bit too unrealistic, even in heavily forested areas. 

I would point the blame for that particular unrealism at the fact that mining is way, way too easy, exhibiting few of the historical hazards of mining.  The rock doesn't shatter your tools, fall on you, collapse beneath you, suffocate you, poison you with dust, or incinerate you with explosive vapors.  It just yields meekly before the pick.  That's boring and not hardcore at all, even taking dwarves' nebulous talents into account.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: November 23, 2009, 05:42:06 pm »

I guess it would make Dwarves even better miners then modern day ones. Moodyness asside.

Ohh and don't forget turning into a chimp from hunching

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: November 23, 2009, 05:46:47 pm »

I would point the blame for that particular unrealism at the fact that mining is way, way too easy, exhibiting few of the historical hazards of mining.  The rock doesn't shatter your tools, fall on you, collapse beneath you, suffocate you, poison you with dust, or incinerate you with explosive vapors.  It just yields meekly before the pick.  That's boring and not hardcore at all, even taking dwarves' nebulous talents into account.

Well, not that most of that is a problem for quarries. But you still have the issue that stone weights a *lot* more then wood, by volume, so it's much more difficult to create buildings out of. Wood can also be easily nailed together, even with wooden pegs, and it is easy to see why wood is preferred over stone, or even brick, everywhere that has ample supplies of it. It's only the more well-to-do that have stone or brick houses in those cases, since they can afford to hire the additional labor to make the houses quickly.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: November 23, 2009, 05:55:13 pm »

Although Dwarves finding it relatively easy to mine is probably fairly accurate.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: November 23, 2009, 05:58:40 pm »

Well, if mining became too difficult then that would take a lot of fun out of the game. Imagine trying to dig into the mountain side, and not three tiles in the cave collapses and your miner dies.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: November 23, 2009, 06:04:13 pm »

Well, not that most of that is a problem for quarries. But you still have the issue that stone weights a *lot* more then wood, by volume, so it's much more difficult to create buildings out of. Wood can also be easily nailed together, even with wooden pegs, and it is easy to see why wood is preferred over stone, or even brick, everywhere that has ample supplies of it. It's only the more well-to-do that have stone or brick houses in those cases, since they can afford to hire the additional labor to make the houses quickly.

Yeah, good catch on me conflating open-pit mining with subsurface mining.  And yeah, the construction process should have many more difficulties beyond just obtaining the raw materials.  You probably shouldn't be able to build an unmortared wall of rough stone more than a single Z-level high. 

Well, if mining became too difficult then that would take a lot of fun out of the game. Imagine trying to dig into the mountain side, and not three tiles in the cave collapses and your miner dies.

You could say that about the current version too -- if you ignore the warnings and dig into a magma pipe, your miner will probably die.  Obviously additional difficulties wouldn't be implemented without new ways of dealing with them, or at least avoiding them.  I mean, take your collapse situation -- that's not too far off from what could happen in the 2D version, and the game still contains a mostly obsolete building designed to avert collapses.  So we're not talking an unprecedented increase in difficulty here.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:09:39 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 1065