Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637039 times)

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7305 on: November 23, 2009, 08:19:22 am »

a dwarf will no longer consider a single bolt in the quiver sufficient for defense, training or hunting.
When I read this, I swear I could hear the Hallelujah Chorus!!!!!!

Great job, Toady.

Yeah, it's great news.. I thought Toady said it wasn't going to be in this release.. but on reflection it seems he only meant that they wont (re)stack them into a single item when he was talking about it before. It's going to make things a lot better :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: November 23, 2009, 08:21:07 am »

Well one reason could be that now that he no longer can possibly make a December 30-January 1 deadline he now has quite a bit of extra time.

Either that or all that training make him realise how annoying "Pick up 5 bolts" is.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: November 23, 2009, 08:28:00 am »

Well one reason could be that now that he no longer can possibly make a December 30-January 1 deadline he now has quite a bit of extra time.

I don't know about that.  He said he'd try to finish all the Squad items during November, which with five (really four given the similarities) items left over about six working days, looks likely.  Then it's about 15 real development checks and compatibilities to complete, something to do to tick out that infuriating "ropes\ladders" entry, and whatever testing needed to make sure the game is actually playable and not repeat the infamous sleeping sickness bug.  Getting all that done within December sounds entirely possible to me and my boundless sense of optimism.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: November 23, 2009, 08:33:04 am »

Yea, the stacking issue is a harder problem that would have to be dealt with later. I'm sure there are other things that don't stack on themselves which normally come as a stack but can't be restacked, but they are usually nontrivial to deal with or it makes no difference. Like bones for example, they don't restack (I don't think), but you can easily get rid of them or just make more storage, food might not restack, but barrels hold ALOT and dwarves eat one unit at a time anyway.

Anyhow, the Squads section is getting close to done, after this Toady has mainly the testing and final bits left.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: November 23, 2009, 09:30:20 am »

Well other then arrows the more important stacking problem is Coins... of death!

Or just ordinary coins... Though I have no idea when Toady is going to even pretend to tackle that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: November 23, 2009, 10:08:08 am »

Oh right, the coins. They are a part of a larger problem, the economy, which Toady isn't dealing with at this time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: November 23, 2009, 10:08:48 am »

To Quote Toady: The Carrivan Arc

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: November 23, 2009, 10:10:02 am »

Id definitely like to see civilians with some of these squad changes.. running around with backpacks and flasks would ease the load on the path finder for those long walks into the wild.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: November 23, 2009, 10:13:04 am »

Deactivated cvillian-soldiers already carry backpacks after equipping them as a soldier, no idea if they actually use them though.

Ragnar_Deerslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: November 23, 2009, 10:16:17 am »

Since dwarves actualy get a skill solely for biting and kicking, I'm expecting om nom nom nom-fu dwarves to show up eventualy.

Yeah, if you mod the game so that biting and kicking are primary attacks instead of secondary, they'll become Accomplished Biters etc. and will even teach the skills to each other.

Sounds like the Filipino art of Kina Mutai (biting & eye gouging), demonstrated in conjunction with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu by Paul Vunak in an unintentionally hilarious video.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: November 23, 2009, 11:12:42 am »

Huh. Well it's an instructional video alright, but not for fighting...

To be honest though, I always thought Headbutts were more appropriate for dwarves.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: November 23, 2009, 11:18:38 am »

I always thought Headbutts were more appropriate for dwarves.

Well at least I can see more reasons for this then the increasingly infuriating reason "Because Dwarves are awsome/Insane!".

I can take jokes, it is when people forget it is a joke that I get mad!

Anyhow yeah I can picture Dwarves having a very thick bone structure to dull impacts from falling rocks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:27:32 am by Neonivek »

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: November 23, 2009, 11:31:33 am »

New devlog cracks me up

Back in squad training, one new recruit did 25 bolts worth of individual archery practice and then ran back to the barracks to give an archery lecture to everybody that was unfortunate enough not to have ammunition -- a dabbler teaching the completely unskilled. I guess he was just talking about how cool it was or something. A few dabblers rose out of that lesson. They must think crossbows are cool now too.

Dwarfs are so endearing sometimes.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7318 on: November 23, 2009, 11:33:37 am »

restacking might not be such a big deal anymore if containers can be filled and carried. even for coins, although a profusion of items may slow the FPS.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: November 23, 2009, 11:54:49 am »

Small question, not really coding related:

How long after the release of this update will it take for the Mac version to be released?
Is it just a matter of exchanging the .exe file (and assorted other PC-only files) for an Application file?
Or is there more to it then that?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 1065