Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637151 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7290 on: November 22, 2009, 10:40:58 pm »

In the new release will you be able to join an army in adventure mode or dwarf fortress youll be able to capture and assualt enemy armys and towns and stuff.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: November 22, 2009, 10:41:41 pm »

^
No, not yet.
The adventurer part is a future goal that only comes after caravan and army arc comes. Next update (after this one is released) should involve caravan arc.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: November 22, 2009, 10:42:47 pm »

Only 4 years?

For all the miraculous stuff I've seen planned in V1, it would surely hve to take much longer.

And even then V1 for the most part is the Skin and bones. It is the V2 that adds the flesh.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: November 22, 2009, 10:43:27 pm »

In the new release will you be able to join an army in adventure mode or dwarf fortress youll be able to capture and assualt enemy armys and towns and stuff.

Probably the army arc or something.

Edit: What Dakk said....

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: November 22, 2009, 10:44:03 pm »

Why would Elves consider giant mushrooms different then trees? They are all just giant plants (without going into modern knowledge)
Well, like I said, there's precedence in the animal-people.  According to Toady, above-ground animal-people are going to be loosely aligned with the elves in the next version.  But below-ground animal people are going to be a little different--more likely to use weapons, a little more twisted and aggressive.  The elves won't have any sort of special relationships with them.  So my thinking is that if the underground works to de-nature-ize animal-people, maybe the same goes for towercaps.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: November 22, 2009, 10:45:48 pm »

Aye, some awesome stuff we all look forward to is planned to after 1.0 is released (magic arc, wizards, etc). V1 should have pretty darn awesome stuff by itself though (improved worldgen stories, army arc, caravan, adventurer as an actual entity with non combat skills, etc).
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: November 22, 2009, 11:28:14 pm »

Since dwarves actualy get a skill solely for biting and kicking, I'm expecting om nom nom nom-fu dwarves to show up eventualy.

Yeah, if you mod the game so that biting and kicking are primary attacks instead of secondary, they'll become Accomplished Biters etc. and will even teach the skills to each other.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: November 23, 2009, 02:29:49 am »

Since dwarves actualy get a skill solely for biting and kicking, I'm expecting om nom nom nom-fu dwarves to show up eventualy.

Yeah, if you mod the game so that biting and kicking are primary attacks instead of secondary, they'll become Accomplished Biters etc. and will even teach the skills to each other.
I think it's probable that this will (occasionally) happen in vanilla. When Toady was asked about the throwing, he was talking like it would be trained as soon as somebody got good ranks in it from tantruming, but it wouldn't be used in military applications due to the lack of throwing weapons which the game would recognize as such. Biting obviously lacks that problem, and as such I think that if a dwarf becomes skilled in it, the dwarves will train in it and use it. That's assuming skills for attacks which aren't related to stances, grasps, or weapons actually work that way, which I'm not certain that they do.

EDIT: the relevant parts of the post to which I was referring:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: kiffer.geo
    If a dwarf tantrums and gains some skill in throwing and teachs it to others will they actually ever use it outside of tantrums... Or will they just be better at tantruming...?
They will just be better at tantruming, he he he.  With the new squad/civilian equipment stuff, we are slowly crawling toward things like throwing weapons and civilian daggers (or would civilian hatchets make more sense for dwarves?), but for now there's nothing new and thrown.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:41:59 am by Cruxador »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: November 23, 2009, 02:43:02 am »

I think it's probable that this will (occasionally) happen in vanilla. When Toady was asked about the throwing, he was talking like it would be trained as soon as somebody got good ranks in it from tantruming, but it wouldn't be used in military applications due to the lack of throwing weapons which the game would recognize as such. Biting obviously lacks that problem, and as such I think that if a dwarf becomes skilled in it, the dwarves will train in it and use it. That's assuming skills for attacks which aren't related to stances, grasps, or weapons actually work that way, which I'm not certain that they do.

It does sound like it works that way for teachable skills in general, but for a creature's "intrinsic" attacks it's still constrained by the primary/secondary thing:

They can currently teach weapon skills, wrestling, dodging, punching (grasp strikes), kicking (stance strikes), shield and armor use, yeah.  They can also teach general close-quarters/ranged combat principles.  They won't actually teach kicking though, since it's not a primary attack for dwarves -- biting is the same way.  If you have a mod where biting is the primary attack, they'll teach biting instead.  If you have multiple primary attacks, they'll teach all of the relevant skills.  I think if a tantrumer learns throwing, they'll also start teaching the dwarves that, he he he.  The examples throwers give in class based on their wealth of experience must be pretty funny.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:45:35 am by Footkerchief »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: November 23, 2009, 03:26:15 am »

On the other hand, since throwing is a taggable skill, you will be able to mod in a weapon that uses throwing. Just as you can mod in a rake that uses the farming skill. I wonder, what will happen then? Will rake-users teach farming?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: November 23, 2009, 03:32:57 am »

Toady would have had to ensure that soldiers wouldn't teach strictly civilian skills like farming, since you could have ex-farmers in the military and the teaching code doesn't know whether you got the skill from using a weapon or from civilian work.  Most likely each skill has a hardcoded "can this skill be taught" flag.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 03:35:53 am by Footkerchief »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: November 23, 2009, 04:13:08 am »

Maybe, but if it went on the logic "Dwarf can attack with it, then teach it", then farming could be taught if there was a weapon that used farming. But since the upcoming version of it is probably just a revision of the current one, it likely won't happen.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: November 23, 2009, 04:27:00 am »

Not that it's not good groundwork for future functionality.  A Farmer's College, or Metalsmith Guild, or whatever where experienced civilians teach their civilian skills makes perfect sense to me, and everyone else I'm sure.  It just sounds like faking that with the upcoming military system would involve moding a weapon to use some civilian skill, putting a skilled guy in charge of a group of recruits, then deactivating them so they can go back to work.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7303 on: November 23, 2009, 06:38:43 am »

Not that it's not good groundwork for future functionality.  A Farmer's College, or Metalsmith Guild, or whatever where experienced civilians teach their civilian skills makes perfect sense to me, and everyone else I'm sure.  It just sounds like faking that with the upcoming military system would involve moding a weapon to use some civilian skill, putting a skilled guy in charge of a group of recruits, then deactivating them so they can go back to work.

Cue in 'toy hammer/mini forge/whatever' having actual use.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: November 23, 2009, 07:35:48 am »

a dwarf will no longer consider a single bolt in the quiver sufficient for defense, training or hunting.
When I read this, I swear I could hear the Hallelujah Chorus!!!!!!

Great job, Toady.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 1065