Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637120 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7245 on: November 21, 2009, 04:49:50 pm »

still, how do we explain our flasks not rusting or our lead flasks not tainting the booze and heavy metal poisoning our dwarves?

We explain it with the fact that those mechanics haven't been implemented yet.  All those things should happen eventually.  I did, however, see a bunch of references to iron/steel canteens using a liner of pitch to prevent rust.

still those things could easilly be placeholded by forbidding the creation of flasks and barrels made of poisonous materials, no need for fancy chemical mechanics here...  but pitch could explain it, yeah, we could easilly assume that metal objects are "pitched", atleast untill real pitch is introduced

Hobgobwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: November 21, 2009, 04:56:14 pm »

I'm dreaming of a royal guard of "monks" who wear only gauntlets and leggings, maybe a tunic of the fort's colours. Maybe give the dwarves also wear a topknot? I'm assuming unarmed combat isn't improved that greatly though?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: November 21, 2009, 05:27:08 pm »

I'm dreaming of a royal guard of "monks" who wear only gauntlets and leggings, maybe a tunic of the fort's colours. Maybe give the dwarves also wear a topknot? I'm assuming unarmed combat isn't improved that greatly though?

Unarmed combat has changed in at least three ways:
1. Like other combat, it has an entirely new wounding system, and creature bodies are much more complicated.
2. There's no longer a single unarmed skill ("wrestling"), but instead separate skills for wrestling, dodging, punching, kicking, and biting.
3. Creatures have a greater variety of "intrinsic" attacks, such as scratching and kicking.

So it should feel at least a little different.  I'm not sure it needed to be improved per se, as it was already pretty lethal.

Also, I don't think you can make the hairstyle a part of the uniform, though that would indeed be cool.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: November 21, 2009, 05:54:36 pm »

Reading some of the earlier posts, especially one about the dwarfs' drinking habits, I had a mental image that just refused to go until I drew it up and posted it.
That aside, hurray for metal flasks, I guess. Good to see the military getting some progress.
Nothing great? ...THA'SS GREEEEAAT!  ;D
Arm's a bit long, is all.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: November 21, 2009, 08:36:57 pm »

2. There's no longer a single unarmed skill ("wrestling"), but instead separate skills for wrestling, dodging, punching, kicking, and biting.

In other words, it will have a chance to become more of an art form (except for the biting, for dwarves anyway) rather than the all out floormat style wrestling that I envision dwarven 'wrestling' as it is right now.

I wonder about different hand to hand martial arts 'schools' that could form. I'd make a question out of it, but I remember a similar question bieng asked a couple months ago.

Edit: Theres a whole bunch of questions and quotes related to martial arts, so I'm not going to quote all of them. The overall answer is a bit vague, but it sounds like each fort has the capability of developing their own fighting style.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:52:00 am by smjjames »

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7250 on: November 21, 2009, 11:14:32 pm »

WRT uniforms, does this extend to clothing, and specifically, dyed clothing by colour?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: November 22, 2009, 12:16:26 am »

Is it possible for my adventurer to become attached to an item? Would it be possible for, say, a rock, to get it's own mention in legends that way?

I'm thinking of taking a rock with my adventurer, throw it into several enemies and then build a fortress around said (now legendary) rock, only to the purpose of worshipping it :D

GildedBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: November 22, 2009, 02:29:06 am »

WRT uniforms, does this extend to clothing, and specifically, dyed clothing by colour?

I believe that you can, but it doesn't work very well because you can't specify what colors of clothes to make yet. I'll see if I can find a Toady quote

Edit:
yay for Footkerchief! the forums decided they didn't want me to search or edit my post so I was delayed in getting the toady quote.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:56:03 am by GildedBear »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: November 22, 2009, 03:13:48 am »

Yes: "You can establish uniforms for your soldiers now. The main idea was to let you easily set a bunch of dwarves to the same armor type, but if you want to set up a uniform with midnight blue silk hoods, steel axes, leather boots, absolutely nothing else, and then apply it to every squad, that's between you and your conscience. The dwarves should shuffle their regular clothes off to squad-assigned cabinets if there are conflicts/restrictions, but you can also just have them put on some armor over their regular clothes as usual. It would still be annoying to get those hoods dyed correctly, but it would be a little easier to do with a burrow and a few custom stockpiles anyway."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: November 22, 2009, 09:12:27 am »

... The rising draws near.

My fullest support to you, Toady. Know, that if I were not a budding university student, I would be pumping my monetary gains towards your every whim.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: November 22, 2009, 09:42:13 am »

Yes: "You can establish uniforms for your soldiers now. The main idea was to let you easily set a bunch of dwarves to the same armor type, but if you want to set up a uniform with midnight blue silk hoods, steel axes, leather boots, absolutely nothing else, and then apply it to every squad, that's between you and your conscience. The dwarves should shuffle their regular clothes off to squad-assigned cabinets if there are conflicts/restrictions, but you can also just have them put on some armor over their regular clothes as usual. It would still be annoying to get those hoods dyed correctly, but it would be a little easier to do with a burrow and a few custom stockpiles anyway."

Three words: "Velour" and "Pretty Snappy"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: November 22, 2009, 09:55:37 am »

One issue I can see arising due to the split (though it is already somewhat present) is that training all the skills needed during adventure mode may start to get a bit tricky unless you artificially start using them at inappropriate times.

Not so much a deal with Fortress mode though since they can just train whatever they want.

Edit addition: Also Tony the Tiger goes "That's great" (Sorta) Dwarves go "That's just great"... Without the "just" it makes no sense.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:05:49 am by Neonivek »

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: November 22, 2009, 10:34:58 am »

One issue I can see arising due to the split (though it is already somewhat present) is that training all the skills needed during adventure mode may start to get a bit tricky unless you artificially start using them at inappropriate times.

Wasn't a notion of skill synergy thrown in too ? Footkerchief, help us !

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: November 22, 2009, 11:06:34 am »

Yes it was but synergy to my knowledge doesn't mean that as one skill goes up a few others do as well.

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: November 22, 2009, 11:22:14 am »

I think the civilians really need a better way to drink their booze.  It shouldn't be much of an issue to grab a flask, grab some ale and go hang out in a meeting area.  Right now I keep picturing a dwarf ripping the lid off a barrel and dunking his head in or grabbing the whole barrel with both hands and using it as a giant mug.
I'd like to see them fill a mug and take it to the dining room when they eat. I imagine that's coming.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1065