Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637245 times)

Mad.Hatter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7215 on: November 21, 2009, 09:48:03 am »

I'm pretty sure the ":P" qualifies Chthonic's statement as a joke.

It's unfortunately not really possible to nitpick ironically.

It's absolutely possible to nitpick ironically, I rarely nitpick any other way.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: November 21, 2009, 09:49:31 am »

The problem with the whole gender-equality is when reality hits and stupid situations happen, I don't even have to go out of my way to get an example, it is one of the most blaring and ridicolous things. Baby Meatshields.

Mothers are currently hardcoded with the responsibility to lodge around the children. And even if the father took responsibility over, what if he was dead or also part of the military? It becomes really messy...

On Slavery, it'd totally be awesome if we could practice slavery if the current dwarven ethics civ your aligned allows for it, or that -- ooh... what about acting out of tradition as an outpost to your civ and changing ethics? Will there be diplomatic punishments for even being outcast by your civ to start a new one, yourself?

I think that'd be pretty impressive feats to change the course of history like that, really shaping the world.

Also don't tell me that it's bad to keep people in cages and make them to work but it's ok to burn them in magma :).
Hm, depends who you talk to. Killing prisoners quickly instead of subjecting them to slow painful torture and excrutiating labours for the rest of their measly lives could be seen more as pitiful than merciless.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:56:14 am by Nexii Malthus »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: November 21, 2009, 09:54:20 am »

Oh come on, "dwarves don't abide by slavery anyhow"?
What with hundreds of goblins in cages which we throw from towers and use as gladiators versus wardogs and beasts we capture?
Dwarves are the WORST slavers in the hands of a player. There's just not a lot of control in game mechanics yet, but it's here since early versions. Also don't tell me that it's bad to keep people in cages and make them to work but it's ok to burn them in magma :).

Maybe we should have war crimes trials. 15 years hard labour for indiscriminate killing of civilians, 30 for leaving their stupid loincloths all over the place.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #7218 on: November 21, 2009, 10:03:34 am »

Untill you can butcher sentient beings and make soap of their fat, any ethics discussion is shallow and moot.

(I can already see it in next vesion:

Oh my, champion is wounded and his wounds are starting to fester, we REALLY need some quality soap.

Hmm, no animals. Say, which dwarf is fattest here?)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: November 21, 2009, 10:27:00 am »

Untill you can butcher sentient beings and make soap of their fat, any ethics discussion is shallow and moot

Isn't that a bit extreme? "We can't have a discussion on ethics until we can become hannible lector or however you spell that name"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: November 21, 2009, 10:39:26 am »

Hey guys, Booze instead of water just got greened out!! WHOOYEA!

Also, the forums and the B12 site seems to be having alot of problems today for some reason.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: November 21, 2009, 11:23:43 am »

Since hunters/equipment are grouped under the squad update, does this mean we'll be able to have hunters working together in teams in this release?

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: November 21, 2009, 11:42:04 am »

Quote from: The Great and Mighty Toady's Dev Blog 11/20/2009
...They put on their leggings, stuffed their flasks in them, went over to the barrels, filled up the flasks with ale and then milled around in the dirt....

Toady, you are a king among men.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: November 21, 2009, 11:46:19 am »

Since hunters/equipment are grouped under the squad update, does this mean we'll be able to have hunters working together in teams in this release?

I think I can answer this one!
No. (99% chance, anyway)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:49:15 am by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: November 21, 2009, 11:50:40 am »

Yea, it removes one piece of annoying micromanagement and allows the soldiers to keep from going sober.

Its nice to have the option of using water in case of a shortage or a challenge of some kind though.

Also, is the soldiers using metal flasks (canteens really) a new thing? I thought they only used waterskins. (May get answered if it already happens in the current version)

Edit: Question got answered (its a new thing), so I ungreened it.

@Chthonic: I think that is more related to formations. However, if you were able to put hunters into a squad (now that the follow the leader crap is fixed), maybe they would work together?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:42:56 am by smjjames »

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: November 21, 2009, 02:22:02 pm »

well, females using their babies as meatshields is one good reason to keep them out of the militarry, that's where i start to discriminate my dwarves based on genres

ITYM helping their babies advance their Wrestling skill. :D

Though an arguement for Gender differences is specifically so that the game can actually have an impact when females step out of their roles to become heros and leaders. When they are all equal it is meaningless to see a female warrior or female leader or a Order of Warrior Women, their gender is doesn't matter.

Though on that subject I fully support Civilisations gaining preferences, restrictions, and privilages to specific genders. I don't mind Sexism in my fantasy world.

Agreed, this is an interesting and worthwhile storytelling element (increasingly, I've been thinking of DF as a new form of storytelling).  I think gender ethics would be an appropriate addition to the other ethics concepts in the game, and they could be used in the same way.  For example, a matriarchal culture might neighbor a culture that subjugates women, and this could lead to diplomatic conflict and ultimately war.

Just mind that it should be procedurally generated. If there's a reason for it, it should fall out based on that.

If the females of Mantisoid Betas are stronger, then they become the warrior caste, perhaps. *shrug*

To me that seems a little more restrictive than necessary.  Caste discrimination can result from historical, not just physical, causes.  Discrimination against African-Americans in the United States, for example, is a lot more tied to the history of exploitation, slavery, conquest, and cultural divergence between our African and European forebears than it is to physical differences between races.  The whole idea that discrimination is unfair is predicated on the fact that it ascribes to individuals traits which are *not* necessarily true.

So while a physical basis should be a possible influence on a culture's gender ethics, it should not be the only one.

Maybe we should have war crimes trials.

That's not 14th century technology. ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: November 21, 2009, 02:38:45 pm »

There were things like Trials where Generals and stuff were charged with crimes before the 14th century.

Though they were little more then fancy executions then serious trials.

The crimes they got charged with were also things like "You fought against us" or just whatever they could come up with. Even with the Magna Carta if a King Wanted you dead he could arrange it. Just look at the Knight Templars.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:44:27 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: November 21, 2009, 02:47:11 pm »

Will it be possible to change the length and frequency of pregnancies?

Don't think so.  The latest dwarf raws (inside the spoiler tag midway down) don't seem to have any new pregnancy tags.

Also, is the soldiers using metal flasks (canteens really) a new thing? I thought they only used waterskins. (May get answered if it already happens in the current version)

I just tested it and yeah, they won't use flasks in the current version, so it's new.  It would be cool if we got civilian flask-carrying too, finishing off this dev item:

# Bloat45, FLASKS, (Future): Use flasks for drinking. Dwarves should seek to have a full flask on their person at all times.

but there probably isn't time now.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: November 21, 2009, 02:52:49 pm »

Maybe we should have war crimes trials.

That's not 14th century technology. ;)
Right. "Court of Star Chamber" then. *checks* 14th century, barely.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: November 21, 2009, 02:55:31 pm »

Well it all depends on what we mean by "War Crime Trial"

Putting people on trail for what they did during war is hardly something new. The Athenians had something like that for their own generals.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:59:31 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1065